My Experience with Zocor

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

My Experience with Zocor

Postby yvonne257 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:34 am

I was put on this drug here in the UK to lower my cholesterol levels as I also have policythemia, a condition which causes my blood to be thicker than normal and so they were worried I was at risk of a clot/heart attack etc.

I started taking the drug in November of 2005 and within 3 weeks I had terrible lower back pain and pain in my legs and arms. I had a numbness that went from my right hip across the top of my thigh and my genitals, rather like the after effects of shingles. I became very belligerent and aggressive and also anxious and tearful. At first I thought I had hurt my back but after 4 days of this and it not improving I read the side effects leaflet and decided to stop taking the drug and return to my GP.

I am an unfortunate lady in that I have a lot of adverse reactions [side effects] to a lot of different drugs, my body doesnt seem to tolerate them and in some instances its been 2 hrs after taking a drug they have occurred. My Gp is well aware of my history. when I consulted with her she told me to stop taking Zocor and I couldnt take another statin drug EVER!

Now 14 months later I am still in pain in my muscles, I have to walk with a stick, I get burning pains in my feet, have pain down the sides of my calves and across my thighs. I am always tired and dont sleep well.

I admitted myself to A&E in september last year as the pain was so severe I was vomiting! The put me on paracetomol and codeine phosphate. It never took the pain away and some nights I would wake and scream with the pain.

It has lessened now but I do get bouts of it [but not to that extreme now] and take the codeine phosphate then. I have been to see a spinal physiotherapist as my GP will not admit its the statin drug thats done this to me and she says its a back problem!! I have had a MRI scan and it showed I have 2 lower bulging discs in my spine but they are not causing compression!

I feel disabled now and my life has altered so much, at times I get very down about it as I cannot get the medical profession to listen to me about this. They told me at my last ppointment that i would "be fine by Xmas"!!

I wish I knew someone who would listen to me, as for taking action against the drug company etc it would cost £10,00 and as i am a pensioner I cannot afford to that either!

The one good thing is I have found a natural derivative of the sugar cane that is reducing my cholesterol without side effects, its called Policosanol, but not suitable if you are on warfarin.
yvonne257

Postby Darrell » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:18 am

Coenzyme Q10 and L-Carnitine worked for me for my fatigue and leg muscle problems after my Zocor disaster, but I don't have policythemia or a low tolerance for meds to consider, so count this as a lead, not a recommendation. You can get more information by a search of this site or by clicking on my "Profile" button to the left and from there calling up my previous posts, particularly my posts from April 2006 to now. Also check out Ray Holder's posts in the same time frame.
Darrell

Thank you

Postby yvonne257 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Darrell

Thank for your tips and assistance, its gratefully received and i shall do as you suggested.
Many thanks
Regards
Yvonne
yvonne257

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:57 am

Yvonne
Just a quickie, in haste
I wrote a long reply to you the other evening and it all disappeared before I could send it

Be wary of taking Q10 if you are taking warfarin for your blood condition,Q10 can affect it ,I believe it enhances its action, will look it up and come back to you as soon as I can manage it.

Ray
Ray Holder

Thanks

Postby yvonne257 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:15 am

Hi Ray

Thanks for that, I am VERY wary of taking any other drugs or pills as I stated I am so suseptible to them. I will await your reply and thank you for your time and trouble.

I am just compiling research and info to arm myself with to get the Drs to listen to me over here. I am fed up with them dimissing it and trying to blame it on other things i.e my weight [although losing] my posture, my back the list goes on. Though how muscle pain in my thighs and calves and shins, burning pain in my feet and the terrible twitches /tremors I get has anything to do with it??? I know my body and I know that none of these symptoms were there until I took that drug!

I have purchased Doc's book and will read that avidly in hopes I can get more info to back me up.
Regards
Yvonne
yvonne257

Re: CoQ10 and Warfarin

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Re: Be wary of taking Q10 if you are taking warfarin for your blood condition,Q10 can affect it ,I believe it enhances its action, will look it up and come back to you as soon as I can manage it. Ray

Hi Ray & Yvonne

Warfarin
There have been reports that coenzyme Q10 may decrease the effectiveness of blood-thinning medications such as warfarin, leading to the need for increased doses. Therefore, given that this medication must be monitored very closely for maintenance of appropriate levels and steady blood thinning, CoQ10 should only be used with warfarin under careful supervision by your healthcare provider.

[http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Interactions/CoenzymeQ10cs.html]

I started a new topic titled: Possible Interactions with: Coenzyme Q10
http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=730

Fran
sos_group_owner

Swellings

Postby yvonne257 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:29 am

Thanks for that Fran.

Also can I ask if anyone has experienced weird swellings anywhere on their body from taking zocor? I am just going through another bout of them. I can actually feel the swelling coming up and have one on my ankle area and a large swelling on my left wrist. It gives me a numb/tingling kind of pain and makes the area and muscle feel weak. They usually last about a week and then go down, I can also feel one coming up on my right lower arm this morning.
yvonne257

Anyone else on statins suffering from tendinitis?

Postby yvonne257 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:26 am

I am getting swellings as I stated in my previous message posted here and was concerned enough to ask my Dr about a particularly large swelling that has occurred on my left wrist. I can feel the swelling occurring and it gives me a numbness and tingling. They occur on different parts of my body, I told her. She has now diagnosed tendinitis!

I asked her why this had been occurring in bouts on and off for over a year and she told me "I dont know". I have never had this problem before except if i had twisted my ankle in an accident or somthing, so why should it be occurring spontaneously? I am right handed so its not a repetitive injury and why would I get them on my shins and ankles too?

Be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?
Yvonne
yvonne257

Reply for Yvonne

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Hi Yvonne,

Follow this thread about the same topic:
http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=193

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:35 am

Live and learn! I developed a odd swelling in both feet and saw 4 doctors about it and none offered any explanation as to what it was. Someone else described it is "lumps" and mine, I would saw qualify more as lumps since it is in spots. I first noticed them when I was on 10mg right by my ankel bone (looks like I had 2 ankle bones only one was soft and mushy). When I was upped to 20mg, the lumps started spreading and hurting. I could tell where they were going because the area where they were about to spread would itch/tingle. These areas still bother me 8 months off Lipitor and they are always there 24/7/365. Can't help but wonder what damage was done and if they will ever go away.

Like I said, I saw 4 different doctors looking for a explanation of what it was over about a 2 year period and NONE even hinted that it could be statin related. My PCP just brushed me off saying it was just a old injury and ignored that I said "In BOTH feet and in the SAME spots? Don't you think I would remember injuring BOTH feet?" DUH!

It really makes me SO mad that NOT ONE doctor reconized what it was, what was causing it or offered any solution and how easily they brushed me off.
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs