The Third Kidney

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby Biologist » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:56 pm

Congratulations, adec:

That qualifies as one the very best, most meaningful links I have seen in years.

I will be watching that video many more times and will pass it on.

(I was popping 1,000 IU Vitamin D capsules the whole way through :) )

Thank you.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:00 pm

In my previous post in this thread today, I wrote:

"...the maximum upside potential for
us is above average health in the
future regardless of current statin
damage."
--Biologist

Scratch the word "maximum" from it.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:20 pm

Biologist: A simply phrased and useful piece of work (http://.....5zdhj) Too much to read at the terminal. I'm printing it off now and will take it (and another Vit C cap) with me to Borders for coffee.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:23 pm

That's interesting, Brooks (if I can be so informal :) ), I just started back drinking coffee in the last couple of weeks. On an empty stomach in the mornings, as I have done for decades, was totally out of the question until recently. Weird sensations. Plus my appetite in the morning appears to be getting back to normal. Suddenly cutting out all exercise, you would think I might have put on weight -- particularly over Christmas. Nope. Down five pounds since early November.

Borders sounds like a good idea.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:31 am

I never left the coffee urn, but I don't drink much (2-3 cups/day). It never seemed to bother me. On the other hand, how would I know really?... I had so many things going awry I may not have noticed. Also I went, in the yr and a half I was on the increased 40mg dose of Zocor, from a trim (for me) 220 lbs to almost 260; I guess if your cells can't use the nutrients it gets stored as fat. It's so bizarre to me that we all are affected by the same element in differing ways.
Thanks for the links. Between you and Fran, Tex62, adec, and others - I have plenty to read with my coffee, and it's all fascinating reading. Accordingly, I have added Alpha Lipoic Acid and Vit D to my daily ritual... who knew?

Regards,
Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:16 pm

"...Accordingly, I have added
Alpha Lipoic Acid and Vit D to
my daily ritual... who knew?"
--Brooks

http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_vitaminD.html :)

And from this site, I thought the following was interesting:

[http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/]

"Muscle Weakness and Pain

Vitamin D deficiency causes muscle
weakness and pain in children and
adults. Muscle pain and weakness
was a prominent symptom of
vitamin D deficiency in a study of
Arab and Danish Moslem women
living in Denmark (20). In a cross-
sectional study of 150 consecutive
patients referred to a clinic in
Minnesota for the evaluation of
persistent, nonspecific musculo-
skeletal pain, 93% had serum
25(OH)D levels indicative of
vitamin D deficiency (21). A
randomized controlled trial found
that supplementation of elderly
women with 800 IU/day of vitamin
D and 1,200 mg/day of calcium
for three months increased muscle
strength and decreased the risk of
falling by almost 50% compared
to supplementation with calcium
alone (22)."

Other interesting stuff comes up with a Google search of "vitamin D deficiency".

Vitamin D has a rather long half-life of 20 to 30 days, so while I will dose at 5,000 IU or so for a few weeks, I will probably cut back to 2,000 IU on a long range basis.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Biologist: Thank you for the interesting reads. I do have a question you might be able to answer: Does increased Calcium intake impact the effectiveness of the other suppliments we take (ALCAR, CoQ10, etc.)... there is just a shadow of something in the back of my mind...

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 pm

Good question, Brooks. I don't have a clue. I will be keeping my ears open for more info on the whole thing though. Do you think it does?

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:52 pm

I hate to seem vague, but SOMETHING I heard, read, or was told in my Statin odyssey makes me ask the question. I'll go back thru what has become my Statin 'library' to see if I can find the source. I was taking a wild shot in the event something clicked easily with you. I'll look into it some more.

Thanks,
Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Reply for Brooks - Calcium

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:39 am

Hi Brooks,

Re: Does increased Calcium intake impact the effectiveness of the other supplements we take (ALCAR, CoQ10, etc.)... there is just a shadow of something in the back of my mind...

Excerpts from 'Transdermal Magnesium Chloride' by Dr Mark Sircus

"Magnesium and calcium are paired minerals. Several studies have reported that increasing calcium in the diet significantly reduces the absorption of magnesium. Calcium intakes above 2.6 grams per day may reduce the uptake and utilization of magnesium by the body thus increasing magnesium requirements. So much stress is placed on the importance of calcium by the dairy industry that we may, in fact, be harming magnesium absorption."

"When it comes to magnesium and calcium neither can be divided from the other. One is not divisible from the other in terms of overall effect. They are paired minerals yet it is magnesium that holds the overall key for their paired function. In truth magnesium holds the key to life. It is, as the Chinese say, the most beautiful of all metals. It is a nutritional element that can and is used as a medicine to great effect by all who know of its beauty and power."

Excerpt from Magnesium Deficiency article...

"Magnesium is needed for calcium absorption. Without enough magnesium, calcium can collect in the soft tissues and cause one form of arthritis. Not only does calcium collect in the soft tissues of arthritics, it is poorly, if at all, absorbed into their blood and bones. Some researchers predict that the American ratio of calcium to magnesium is actually approaching 6-to-1, yet, the recommended dietary ratio of calcium to magnesium in the United States is 2-to-1."

[http://www.globallight.biz/Magnesium%20Deficiency.htm]

Not advertising their products, just a good article.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks, Fran. No doubt that's what was on my mind. I do take a daily Magnesium dose and have for some months. Just old news bubbling (partially) to the surface.
Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs