Tri-Cor

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Tri-Cor

Postby Esmeralda » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Although Tri-Cor is not a statin drug, it is given to lower cholesterol. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Esmeralda

Postby tex62 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:30 pm

When Zocor alone didn't reduce my husbands triglycerides, his doctor put him on Tricor 145mg, in addition to Zocor 20mg. Everything we read indicated that Zocor and Tricor should not be used together "unless the benefits outweigh the risk". Our doctor and pharmacist, both of whom we trusted, said that tests had been done on the combination with good results. The result for my husband was devastating. He was transformed in a matter of weeks from a healthy, active 62 year old to barely being able to walk. It took about nine months after stopping both drugs to make a full recovery. After reading about the benefits of cinnamon on this site for the treatment of high triglycerides, my husband started taking 500mg of cinnamon a day. For the first time in his adult life, his triglycerides were well within normal. If your doctor is prescribing Tricor to treat high triglycerides, try reducing the amount of sugar you consume and take cinnamon supplements, or sprinkle cinnamon on your food before trying drugs. .
tex62

Postby Esmeralda » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Thank you for your reply. My triglycerides were fine; it was my LDL that was high. I started the Tri-Cor about one month ago, and now the symptoms that I had with the Crestor are beginning to return. Guess I am going to increase my self-discipline.
Esmeralda

Postby vipergg22 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:28 pm

[quote="tex62"]When Zocor alone didn't reduce my husbands triglycerides, his doctor put him on Tricor 145mg, in addition to Zocor 20mg. Everything we read indicated that Zocor and Tricor should not be used together "unless the benefits outweigh the risk". Our doctor and pharmacist, both of whom we trusted, said that tests had been done on the combination with good results. The result for my husband was devastating. He was transformed in a matter of weeks from a healthy, active 62 year old to barely being able to walk. It took about nine months after stopping both drugs to make a full recovery. After reading about the benefits of cinnamon on this site for the treatment of high triglycerides, my husband started taking 500mg of cinnamon a day. For the first time in his adult life, his triglycerides were well within normal. If your doctor is prescribing Tricor to treat high triglycerides, try reducing the amount of sugar you consume and take cinnamon supplements, or sprinkle cinnamon on your food before trying drugs. .[/quote]

I take cinnamon also and it does work . It has been proven in studies specifically at the USDA website . You can read about it here [http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=150324]
vipergg22

Postby Esmeralda » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm

I can answer my own question now. After being on Tri-Cor for approximately one month, my Crestor symptoms began to return: Fluid input greater than output, increased size of thigh, swelling of knee, discomfort around the knee. I stopped the Tri-Cor over a week ago, and the symptoms are slowly subsiding. Even though Tri-Cor is not a statin drug, it still does harm.
Esmeralda

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi Esmeralda,

Re: Even though Tri-Cor is not a statin drug, it still does harm.

Just goes to show that our body NEEDS essential cholesterol.

RxList has an excellent description of Tri-Cor (fenofibrate):
[http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/fenofibrate_ad.htm]

Click on 'Side Effects & Drug Interactions'

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Darrell » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Zetia is not a statin drug either, but it gave me similar bad side effects to my statin. Personally, I'm finished with messing with my cholesterol with anything, including diet. My body knows how to regulate my cholesterol to the right level for me. I got into serious difficulties every time I let a doctor tinker with that level.
Darrell

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs