Zocor and neuropathy

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Zocor and neuropathy

Postby steph » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi. I'm new to this group, but just wanted to get your opinion on some of my current symptoms.
I am a 40 year old female who has been on Zocor 40 mg for about the past 2 years. Over the past six months I have had some abnormal sensations which I believe may be peripheral neuropathy. It started with sharp jabbing pains in both arms. That went away and now I am having tingling in both my hands and feet. It's been pretty constant for the past three weeks. I have stopped the Zocor threee weeks ago and the symptoms continue. My doctor ordered all sorts of blood work, which came back normal. I have an appt with a neurologist next week. Of course, I'm worried about MS, but am also wondering if Zocor could be the cause. Should these symptoms go away if I'm off the Zocor? I just started taking CoQ10 and L-Carnitine to see if this would help. Other meds I take for BP are Toprol XL 25 mg and Lotrel 5/20.

Thanks.
steph

Reply for "Steph"

Postby sos_group_owner » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 am

Hi Steph and Welcome to the Forum,

Some notice immediate relief when stopping statins, for others recovery is slow. Since you are taking BP meds monitor your BP when starting and increasing CoQ10 dose. CoQ10 can lower BP, especially in higher doses.

My husband used to take 2 BP meds also, but completely controls BP with 300mg of CoQ10 daily.

Peripheral neuropathy and cognitive decline are two statin side effects that can take long recovery times.

If your doctor ordered a CK or CPK test and it was normal, there are reports there is still statin muscle damage. A muscle biopsy would be required to prove muscle damage.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby carbuffmom » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am

Does anyone know where one can get a muscle biopsy done without having another EMG and Nerve Velocity test. Everytime I get a referral somewhere, they insist on doing those two tests first. I had a very bad reaction to the test and do not want to have another. It's a real challenge here in Michigan. Thanks
carbuffmom

Postby catspajamas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:33 pm

I was on zocor 4 years...went the gamit from severe diarrhea(ulcerated my colon) , to muscle pain/weakness, was falling..droopy eyelid.severe fatigue..then the pain in my feet started...Extensive neurological and intestinal tests at Mayos were all negative...I then developed shingles..the dermatologist gave me the best advice and "cured" me..He said to go off all my meds except a b/p pill and let my immune system rest...lo and behold within 2 weeks all the symptoms disappeared except the periferal neurapathy...that was 4 years ago...I am afraid I have permanent pn...I have to take Lyrica to control the pain and give me some mobility...statins ruined my life...and my nervous system......
catspajamas

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs