my short publication in the BMJ (British Medical Journal)

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

my short publication in the BMJ (British Medical Journal)

Postby xrn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:36 am

As promised, here is a response to a short article under the Analysis and Comment section of the BMJ from December 16th. The article was entitled {Anecdotes that provide definitive evidence} and my response is entitled {Whither Patient Concerns?}

The link below will take you to the relevant page and you can read through each of the responses or jump straight to my own.

[http://www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/333/7581/1267?ehom]

This small publication of mine underlines the importance of making your voice heard. I have taken the liberty of listing a few helpful pointers to assist you in getting your written points accepted as a reasonable comment...

1. Understand the issue so that you can write relevant responses.
2. Remain polite and do not appear to be aggressive or angry.
3. Thoroughly research the issue and provide references. (*)
4. Use a spelling checker (I did not and it makes me look stupid)
5. Try to address a single issue rather than everything under the sun
6. Get a non-interested party to look over your writing before sending it.
7. Post a copy here so that we build up a library of articles published.

The last point is important if we are to be of any help each other. It will mean that we can gain a sense of our direction and what has preceded us and other forum users will be able to access the information. We know that information is power and we also know that knowledge is the means by which we can wield that power.

Now, with the cancellation of a Statin-based drug trial, statins will be under suspicion again and we should press home our advantage and keep the statin menace in the eye of the public, the medical profession, drug safety bodies and governmental agencies.

(*) references: these should preferably be research articles if possible because the medical profession is unlikely to take much notice of personal opinion.

Personal viewpoints are OK when writing to non-medical bodies but you should try to use medical references (or events such as the FDA stating that the Pfizer phase 3 clinical trial was to be halted) to support any assertions that you make.

Go to it! :mrgreen:

xrn
xrn

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs