Lost time and conversation

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Lost time and conversation

Postby ian stephens » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:52 am

I am 48 and I have struggled with choleterol management for ten years. I have tried a number of medications and "alternative" treatments. About 4 years ago, my doctor commenced me on Lipitor and two years later added gemfibrozil to try to manage my triglyceride readings. About 18 months ago, I was down at the local shopping centre when I started to feel lightheaded and thought I needed a cup of coffee. I remember having the coffee but then I seemed to lose track of 1/4 hour of time. Later that day, I began to lose track of conversations in mid sentence and it would take me about 5 minutes to get back on track. I saw my Dr who checked blood glucose, blood pressure and he had no explanation. I began to suspect my anticholesterol medication so I ceased it and within ten days all of my symptoms ceased. Since then,I've had multiple tests - CT scan, EEG, MRI and psychometric testing all revealing a clean bill of health. On my doctors suggestion last Christmas, I recommenced Lipitor and within 4 weeks, my cognition once again became impaired. I promptly ceased Lipitor but this time it took me about 4 weeks to get it out of my system. I'm feeling great now!
ian stephens

Postby Cindy54NC » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:04 pm

I also had memory loss. I had 2 distinct episodes of complete amnesia. I also had trouble with loosing track in mid-sentence, word find, etc.

I remember when I had trouble finding the word I needed I always thought about my dad after his stroke. I'd already had a stroke workup, but worried it was a TIA (Transient ischemic attack....an "almost" stroke).

The losing track of conversation, forgetting where I was in a story, etc was embarrassing, but I attributed to menopause. I tried to do memory exercises, but did so poorly!!!

I stopped the Lipitor due to nausea and vomiting, and then found that my memory improved!! I started researching cholesterol, drugs, and diet and have decided to never go on those meds again. I'll change my diet, take supplements, but never any drug to lower or change my cholesterol!!

I still take CoQ10, which I didn't know I needed until about 6 months after stopping Lipitor, and I take a few supplements to improve my general health. My levels are high per the MDs, but HDL is up and triglycerides are way down. (Triglycerides are directly related to carbohydrate intake....if yours is too high, cut way back on your carbohydrate intake, and you should see a difference within a few months)
Cindy54NC

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs