Deaths force Pfizer to halt cholesterol drug trials

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Deaths force Pfizer to halt cholesterol drug trials

Postby adec » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:06 am

I read this article in yesterday's New York Times. Pfizer was forced by an independent Data Safety Monitoring Board to halt clinical trials of their newest cholesterol drug torecetrapib. Out of two groupings of 15,000 people participating in this continuing 2004 study: 82 people died from a combination of Torcetrapib/Atorvastatin, and 51 died from Lipitor administered alone. Of course, Pfizer recommended that all participants stop taking the medication immediately.

Unlike Lipitor, which simply lowered LDL, Torcetrapib (cholesteryl ester transfer protein) was designed to raise good cholesterol, or HDL, as well potentially lower triglycerides. In combination, they were thought to be the 'perfect' all-in-one cholesterol medication capable of preventing major heart disease and stroke.

Interestingly, only last month was it reported about the drug's potential for elevated blood pressure; and now with such a dramatic suddenness this news follows on its heels. A few days ago Pfizer's chief executive had even declared this new medication "the most important compounds of our generation."

Not only is this a huge potentially damaging setback for Pfizer, but it could have serious implications for the hypercholesterolemia movement and statins in general. This might be the smoking gun needed to call ALL prescription statins into question. All I ask is for these trial participants to have not died in vein.
adec

I read it too. Here is the link to CBS Marketwatch

Postby bomber70 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:13 pm

[http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/pfizer-ends-trials-torcetrapib-cholesterol/story.aspx?guid=%7B780FA96B%2D6C86%2D472F%2D8968%2D6054A4038D1C%7D]
bomber70

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs