Lipitor - Depression

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Lipitor - Depression

Postby pattiest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:52 pm

I just found your website - and I'm dumbstruck! I started taking Lipitor about two months (10mg). I'm 63, cholesterol levels of 260 - 280 for the past 10 years - family related mostly because I'm slim and very fit.

Anyway, last weekend I started feeling "down and out of sorts" - just not myself. Not motivated to do anything and sad, depressed. I couldn't figure out why for the life of me. Even gained five pounds, which is unusual for me. I thought it must be my hormones or something. Then I started thinking of "what's new in my life" - and lipitor popped into my mind. I went to the internet and typed in statins - depression and came to your website!

My only concern is what I can do to lower my cholesterol....? An MRI for headaches a few months ago showed that I've had a very "minor stroke" somewhere along the way. This is what started me on the Lipitor.

Help!
pattiest

Reducing cholesterol

Postby trish » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Apparently, cholesterol is not actually a bad thing if one has a good diet and lifestyle.

Suggested ways to reduce the problem in a recent television show and various recent magazine articles include cutting back on red meat and dairy products significantly, chucking out the margarine and other muck made in a laboratory from dangerous fatty acids and chemicals, and eating plenty of fresh fruit and and vegetables, preferably raw, plus nuts and seeds and pulses - and avoiding as much as possible processed foods and processed oils.

Exercise is also a major key. I have read that even things like coffee and alcohol whack up cholesterol levels, because I have read that cholesterol is often a response - sent by the body - to deal with a toxic influx.....

There are some great books, including Healing with Wholefoods by Paul Pitchford (North Atlantic Books).

Eating fresh and healthy and also exercising is also good for banishing depression.........

I hope this helps......
Last edited by trish on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trish

Postby trish » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:44 pm

BTW - cholesterol is absolutely essential for the functioning of the body, and for the workings of the brain. Hence the cognitive impairment of statin users.......

It seems cholesterol's bad press has been so ramped up, it is the medical salem of the present time...... because it's enormously multi-profitable (sells other sorts of medications as well to 'deal' with the side-effects)..
trish

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs