crestor and vytorin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

crestor and vytorin

Postby dianecasey » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:16 pm

About two years ago I went to a weight doctor who discovered that I had a total cholesterol level of 700. I went to my doc who prescribed the highest dose of crestor. It brought my cholesterol to near normal but at the same time I stayed really tired and lost the use of my left hand and arm. I went to the doc three times trying to figure out why my arm was hurting so much and I couldn't use it, I couldn't even turn a door knob. I then got a strange discoloration underneath the skin on the under side of my arm. It looked like my veins were bruised. Again I went back to my doc and even asked my Pharmacist about the symptoms, at that time I began to wonder if it was my medication. Neither my doc or pharmacist thought that my symptoms were associated with the crestor. My doc thought it might be an infection from a tick bite and gave me antibiotics. But when I got home I went to the internet and typed in crestor and read my symptoms on the pages. I couldn't get my doc to agree to change my medication so I just went off the meds. Within a month I felt like my old self again. But about three months ago I discovered plaque coming out of my skin on my hands and elbows. So I went another doc who took blood and my cholesterol was 798. He put me on the highest dose of vytorin. And here I am again. My left arm in pain and debilitated, I can't get out of bed, all I want to do is sleep all the time. And now I have the mottoled blood thing on my stomach and arm. I went to the doc who knows what happened last time and that the symptoms disappeared when I went off the crestor, but he doesn't believe that the vytorin is doing this to me. He wants to do all kind of tests like sleep apnea and nerve tests on my arm and I know it's the medication. So I'm going off of it before it kills me. Both doctors say that I don't have a choice. They said that I have to be on the medication for the rest of my life. But this isn't living. Is there a safe non statin remedy for high cholesterol? They say that the kind of high cholesterol that I have is inherited and not caused from diet so it can't be controlled by diet. What Can I do?

Diane Casey age 43
dianecasey

Postby JIMNSC » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:25 pm

I understand your anguish and anxiety. You'd just as soon have high cholesterol and feel good - me too! Wish I were a doctor and could answer your question but I can't. I would recommend that you send Dr. Graveline an email though.. I don't know how often he reads this forum.

Just trying to help - Jim :)
JIMNSC

other treatments for high cholesterol

Postby hgreg » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:02 am

There are other treatments for high cholesterol; both medications which were used before the statins were developed and have fewer side effects; and alternative and natural treatments. Maybe you could go back to the Internet and explore other avenues of treatment. There is a wealth of information out there if you keep looking and weed out the irresponsible articles.
I went off statins 5 months ago because of adverse side effects and feel so much better that I will never go on them again.
hgreg

Postby JIMNSC » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:32 am

hgreg - mind sharing what you take now in the way of both medicines and supplements? You must have done a lot of research and it sure would help others.

Thanks - Jim
JIMNSC

Crestor Damage

Postby harley2ride » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:27 pm

After taking a 10mg dose of Crestor for approximately 1 month, back in Jan-Feb 2004, I have continued to have muscle pain, spasm's, cramps, and weakness. It took over a year of constant doctors, tests, etc., to disprove any other causes, and get a diagnosis of severe myopathy and myalgia due to statin drug injury. In a little over a year, I went from running 2 1/2 miles, to barely being able to get around. It is my opinion that the dangers from this drug are highly underrated, and the warnings from the manufacturer are a joke. Muscle discomfort which usually goes away my butt. I am now basically crippled, and can not longer do most of the things that I enjoyed. My problem continues to worsen, even though I am taking 1000mg a day of coq10, 500mg a day of magnesium, and 2000mg a day of fish oil. My cholestoral is down now thanks to the fish oil, and the combination of the medications did offer some help for my muscle discomfort. But I continue to get worse over time, even though I've been off the Crestor for 2 years this coming February. If anyone is having muscle pain/cramps/spasms from taking Crestor, I urge you to visit impostertrial.com, or contact Dr. Philips at Scripps Memorial in San Diego, CA. He was a big help in diagnosing my disease, and trying to help with my discomfort.
harley2ride

Crestor

Postby N_Cherny » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:58 pm

This is in response to Harley -- I thought I was going crazy until I read your post. I was laying in bed last night telling myself it wasn't possible for these symptoms to be getting [b]worse[/b]. I only took Crestor for 11 days (in August) and have been off it and all statins since then, but despite following Dr. Graveline's regimen of CoQ10, etc., the effects seem to be spreading, if you can believe it. It used to be that mild exertion would cause the micro-spasming (looks like bugs crawling under your skin) in my legs; but last night it was my entire body! I had them in my stomach muscles, arms, back -- everywhere. This is very discouraging. I was in tears today because my home and yard are in disarray (something I don't deal with very well) because I just can't keep up anymore with things I've always done. It is some consolation to know I'm not alone. Is anyone here thinking about contacting a mass tort lawyer?
N_Cherny

Lipitor vs. Vytorin vs CRESTOR? Which is the best?

Postby mskt » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:18 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to help my father in searching for the best cholesterol medication in the market. He is eating a very healthy diet, and exercises regularly -- But his cholesterol level is not looking good. He has tried Lipitor, which increased his SGPT level which is why his doctor switched him to Vytorin (which he is presently using). I have been reading the comments about Vytorin, and it seems that the adverse effects particularly in the muscles are severe. He mentioned taking Crestor previously, which worked for him. However, a family doctor said that it has the most side effects, and that some hospitals in California do not prescribe it anymore because of this reason. Due to this, he has decided not to take Crestor.

Can you please give me more feedback on the use of Crestor vs. Vytorin or Lipitor? Or if possible, give me advise on what other drug options are there in the market --- with the least side effects?

Thank you =)

Wish you all great health.
mskt

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs