Mevachor Neurological vs. Psychatric Symptoms

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Mevachor Neurological vs. Psychatric Symptoms

Postby lovebird28 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:33 pm

I was placed on Mevachor several years ago and did well until June of 2005. I developed severe muscle and bone pain. I was told by a neurologist that I had fibromyalgia. My Medical doctor suspected The Mevachor. She checked my liver enzymes and they were messed up. She took me off the Mevachor and the pain left and the liver enzymes came back to normal. She then restarted the Mevachor. After that I developed bizarre sleep behavior. Flailing my arms and pounding my chest. I told my doctor. She sent me to a Sleep apnea doctor. I didn't follow through. She checked my liver enzymes on 20mg of Mevachor. They were Ok so she increased it to 40mg. Within several days I noticed that my feet hurt and were extremely hot. Being a nurse I looked up Mevachor and noted that peripheral neuropathy is a side effect. I made several appointments but cancelled because I felt bad. Then very strange things begain to happen. I became depressed, I hurt everywhere, my skin burned and twitched. I lost my concentration and eventually had what I would call a psychiatric break (in symptoms only). I was aware, oriented to place and time, but I began acting out physically. This acting out relieved the stress. Unfortunately this behavior was was interpreted as psychiatric and not neurological in nature and I spent several days on the Psych Ward. After getting home I stopped the Mevachor. I have been feeling better each day. Hopefully I will fully recover. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. Now all I have to do is convince her the problem was the Mevachor. No matter what I will not restart the Mevachor.
lovebird28

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs