Analysis of these drugs

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Analysis of these drugs

Postby haleybugs » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:22 pm

My parents are elderly. They are taking 16 prescription drugs between them. I know that some are dangerous and I have prepared paperwork for their FP doctor. What I want to know is why there are some "doubles" of drugs for the high blood pressure, and diabetes. Here they are:

Mother:
Pravachol 40 mg
Zetia 10 mg
Avandia 2 mg
Metformin 500 mg
Namenda 10 mg
Aricept 10 mg
Clyburide 2.5 mg
Diovan HCT 80/12.5
Femara 2 mg
Citalopram 10 mg
I know the Pravachol is going in the trash as well as the Avandia because my mother has macular degeneration and Avandia makers released a statement that it may cause macular edema. Obviously the Namenda and Aricept are not working because the Pravachol is causing the short term memory loss ( and it is getting worse). My mother is only depressed because of the idea of having Alzheimer's. The Femara looks like the only drug that is good (mom had breast cancer ten years ago) I just found all of this out last Sunday and have been researching ever since. I am so concerned for their safety. I have written a letter to their FP doctor in hopes she will review any professional information I can send along. All I have is my own thoughts to go on. Please help me. Thank you.
Dad
Klor-con 10 MEQER
Metformin 1000 mg
Lexapro 10 mg
Sular 20 mg
Glipizide ER 2.5 mg
Diovan HCT 160/12.5
My dad does not have high cholesterol, only Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure. And, no, he was asked if he was depressed and his comment was laughingly, "Yes I am depressed about taking all of these medications!". So there you go, another prescription for Lexapro. I don't have any paperwork or history to go from. My parents never requested any reports or blood panel copies. I am lost there because I have no proof of anything. I know they check their own blood pressure and blood sugar which is good. I read that Metformin can cause a serious problem of blood sugar dropping below normal. Again, please help. Thank you to anyone who is knowledgeable about this.
haleybugs

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs