Why are my cholesterol levels rising at such a great rate?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Why are my cholesterol levels rising at such a great rate?

Postby haleybugs » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:00 pm

I am so confused! When I stopped taking Lipitor in August my total cholesterol was 180. By my next doctor's appointment, it was 228 with a rising blood sugar of 104. Now, today my total cholesterol is 301 after following a "heart smart" diet for the last six weeks and exercising! I have not lost one pound and asked for a check of my thyroid in my blood panels to see if that was the problem. I was told that it was normal. I have never had a weight problem and in the last year, my weight has steadily increased as my plate of food has decreased! I don't understand why this is happening to me. My doctor said I am in serious trouble and must take Metformin and Welchol. The stress I have been under since having such a bad experience with Lipitor has freaked me out and my body. Will someone please help me? Do I need these meds or should I just take the vitamins and CoQ10 and that's it? I am 56 years old and have not had a menstrual cycle for ten years. My dad has type 2 diabetes and Mom has high cholesterol (supposedly)
haleybugs

Re: Why are my cholesterol levels rising at such a great rat

Postby adec » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:19 am

You might possibly be genetically predisposed to high blood lipid levels. Although, in my mind, medical science has never adequately provided any correlated proof between higher cholesterol and higher mortality.

You should be far more concerned about eating a proper diet rich in vegetables and fibers, absent of ANY hydrogenated fats or saturated trans fats, a limited amount of refined sugars and processed carbohydrates. And you're already on the right path as far as your exercise regimen.

I don't even believe 2mg daily of a lesser statin is nearly as harmful, especially if taken in conjunction with enough CoQ10, and perhaps L-Acetyl Carnitine. The real problem are these actively prescribed mega-doses, sometimes as much as 20X the acceptable norm. This is simply unacceptable.

Although, there are plenty of healthy alternatives to statins including: inositol hexaniacinate (flush-free niacin,) niacin combined with milk thistle, flax seed oil, psyllium husk, guggul herb, Vitamin C, fiberous foods, switching to good cooking oils such as Canola and olive oil. I'm sure there are plenty other natural remedies for lowering cholesterol.

[http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html]

I just find it so sad seeing cholesterol used as a measure of health and happiness in our lives... when there are so many better measures. Don't let your doctor con you into placing too much emphasis on overall blood lipid levels. As long as you're proactive in learning about and fighting cholesterol, you've already taken the first step.
adec

High blood sugar

Postby haleybugs » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:03 am

Okay, if I take the natural supplements you suggest for high cholesterol, what can I do about the high blood sugar? Can I take the CoQ10 for that as well? Do you believe that diet and exercise will reduce my increased blood sugar as well?
haleybugs

Re: High blood sugar

Postby adec » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:57 am

[quote="haleybugs"]Okay, if I take the natural supplements you suggest for high cholesterol, what can I do about the high blood sugar? Can I take the CoQ10 for that as well? Do you believe that diet and exercise will reduce my increased blood sugar as well?[/quote]

I apologize for missing where you mentioned your blood sugar. I would definitely worry about the high blood sugar, well before the high blood fats. Even if blood sugar and cholesterol levels do go hand in hand. Your pancreas might not be producing enough insulin; and this most definitely can develop into a far more potentially serious problem, and eventually damage the organs of your body. So your doctor definitely has some cause for concern.

If I were you, I would instantly cut out refined carbohydrates, including white bread/pasta, and closely monitor your overall carbohydrate intake (limit them in general)and increase your protein intake. I believe you must also avoid sweets, including anything with sugar, fructose, and honey.

You basically want to avoid any foods with a high gylcemic index: white bread, potatoes, pasta, sugar. And you want to eat foods with a lower gylcemic index: beans, fruits, bran, oats, whole grains. Do these things TODAY.

As far as natural remedies, niacin might actually raise your blood sugar, this would be bad for you. I believe the Omega 3's from fish oil capsules would be immensely good for lowering blood sugar, just eating fish in general. Definitely start eating more fibrous foods, both insoluble and soluble. Guggul would be extremely beneficial, as would psyllium husk and flax seed. I remember reading about how beneficial chromium and cinammon extract is in lowering high blood sugar.

BTW, my aunt also experienced an extreme weight gain on Lipitor. But she was also taking 40mg a day. Incidentally, stress is known to increase blood sugar levels. But don't get stressed out; believe me, you did a good thing in August by stopping Lipitor.

Perhaps, someone can come along more knowledgeable in this area to further assist you.
adec

Postby haleybugs » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:32 am

Okay. Thanks for your help. I am going to get the CoQ10 and eat more protein like I used to and more fiber. I am scared of taking the Metformin. I didn't like what I read about it.
haleybugs

Postby adec » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:01 am

I just did a little bit of reading on both Metformin and Welchol, and they don't seem very pleasant.

There are some people on this board who feel hypoglycemia is somehow related to statin damage. And certainly, CoQ10 is a vital way to counteract some of the adverse effects of statins, including Lipitor. Even though I don't believe taking CoQ10 will directly affect your blood sugar levels, it's still very important that you take it.

And again, avoid foods with a high glycemic index, and consume foods with a lower glycemic index. I'm also reading some really wonderful things about cinnamon extract, and how it's able to mimic insulin, and stay active in the body weeks after taking it. This is the same ground cinnamon found in almost every kitchen, or you could purchase it in capsule form.

And please stick around, and come back later; maybe someone much more knowledgeable could fill in any gaps for us both.
adec

Stain damage

Postby haleybugs » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:52 am

Very interesting. My "gut" feeling was that because of the statin damage, my system is in a tailspin. I certainly don't want to load it up with more drugs. I just came back from the store after purchasing CoQ10. I am going to take that and follow my regiment. I would rather do that right now than do more damage with the drugs. I really don't want to play games with my health and I don't want to wait until January to get a read on my blood sugar. Do you think by taking the CoQ10 for a month or so and continuing with the strict diet and exercise will be long enough to get my blood sugar tested again? Can I do that independently? I could get a glucose monitor, right? I think I told you the wrong reading on my glucose earlier. The test is Hemoglobin A1c and it reads 6.3 H %. I should be within the levels of 4.5 - 5.7. However, in September my glucose serum was 104 but the BUN, Creatine and ratio of those was good - 20. There was no indication of Glucose or Ketones in my urine in September either. I felt as though I got the wrong patient's reading on the one Monday. I hope this works. I will keep in touch and let you know. Wish me luck!
haleybugs

Effects of Lipitor on blood sugar

Postby haleybugs » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:01 pm

I wanted to let you know that I think also that the reason for the increase in my blood sugar is from the Lipitor. I remember having a sense of urgency about drinking water constantly when I first stopped taking Lipitor. I also was urinating several times a night. I don't have those symptoms now at all. I can do well without drinking water all the time or any liquid and I urinate quite infrequently now. I do feel as though I could take a nap about 3:00 in the afternoon after getting up at 6:45 am. But I don't think at 56 that is such an unusual thing, do you? When I do nap, it is only for 20 minutes or so and then I feel great. I also realized that stress can play a large part in a higher level of blood sugar and I certainly can attest to that after the trauma I experienced for six weeks after getting off Lipitor. I sure hope the levels drop because I am not taking the Metformin. I refuse to take any more drugs. Forget the WelChol. With the CoQ10, I am relying on that for everything to get back to normal. Am I right?
haleybugs

High blood sugar

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:07 pm

I believe that age related diabetes is partly caused by the reduction of Co Enzyme Q10 with age, and as statins further reduce Q10 they make the problem worse, see the second part of my paper on www.spacedoc.net/r_holder.html. As I mentioned in it, a doctor said that diabetics should not take Q10 because that lowers their sugar levels, but that is precisely what is needed. I believe Q10 will help to keep the process of keeping sugar under control and avoid more radical measures.

Another tip I picked up on the web is that cinnamon can keep sugar levels down, I found the report of a reputable site where successful trials had been done with it. You will find it on Google.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:13 pm

PS
I doubt if only a month on Q10 will suffice, it may need to be permanent. In my elderly state I believe it to be the only thing keeping me alive, my heart complains strongly without it.

Ray
Ray Holder

blood sugar

Postby haleybugs » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks a lot for your information and support. That is more insight than I received from my doctor! Just a prescription writer. I will get the cinnamon extract also. I will keep in touch.
haleybugs

Cinnamon extract

Postby haleybugs » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:17 pm

Can someone answer a question for me please? I could only find cinnamon extract in a 1000 mg. form. Is that too much to take? Can I cut it in half? It is a gelcap form. Thanks
haleybugs

Re: Cinnamon extract

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi "haleybugs",

Re: I could only find cinnamon extract in a 1000 mg. form. Is that too much to take? Can I cut it in half? It is a gelcap form.

Cinnamon is most effective for controlling triglycerides, so if your trig's are very high, then one 1000 mg is OK. The primary reason for high trig's is a high carbohydrate diet, especially the 'white foods'... sugar (biggest offender), flour, bread, potato. rice.

Replace with whole grains: stevia (sweetener), buckwheat and spelt flour, sprouted grain bread or bread made with spelt flour, wild and brown rice, sweet potato, whole grain pastas.

You can also use the spice isle variety of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon daily. It's stronger than the variety available in capsules (C. cassia), so you don't need as much. Not sure where you are located, but if you have access to a Walmart store, you should be able to find the 500 mg capsules there or order them online.

Excellent website "all about cinnamon":
[http://www.innvista.com/health/herbs/cinnamon.htm]

Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) lowers VLDL and triglycerides.
Available in 1,000mg capsules.
Note: VLDL is total triglycerides divided by 5

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby adec » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:36 am

1 gram daily (1000mg or 1/4 teaspoon) is the recommended dosage of cinnamon for blood glucose and lipid levels, according to most studies. Higher doses haven't necessarily been shown to be more beneficial for lowering blood glucose either.

In fact, after not consuming cinammon for 20 days, glucose levels were significantly lower only in the group consuming 1 gram daily. Seems very little goes a loooong way.
adec

Cinnamon extract

Postby haleybugs » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 am

Okay, thanks. I tried the Omega3 Fish Oil once. I took one pill of 1000 mg. and ended up in the ER with tremors over my entire body. I learned later that it is considered a statin by the University of California/San Diego statin study. I didn't know that it could have that kind of effect but after stopping Lipitor for only ten days, I guess it was too much. I have an entire bottle of it in my garage with ONE pill missing never to be used again. I am seriously considering doing a colon, kidney and liver flush. It is the only way I think I can "start over" with a new body and control it the way I want to and not with harmful prescription drugs. I appreciate your help. I don't know what I would do without it.
haleybugs

Postby garystil » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:21 am

Haley,

I couldnt tolerate fish oils or cinnamon while I was on the statins, but once I had been off the statins for a month, I was able to return to them.

Now that you have been off the statins for awhile (since August), you may want to consider another go.

Cheers,
Gary
garystil

Cinnamon and Fish oil

Postby haleybugs » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:47 am

What do you mean not tolerating cinnamon very well? I thought it was just a natural substance. I have sprinkled it on my toast every morning now for weeks hoping to lower my blood sugar. Now I am not sleeping very well. What next?
haleybugs

Gained weight too

Postby bunnylady » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:00 pm

Hayley- I too had a really bad reaction to Lipitor 20 mg and was rechallenged with mild ol Crestor 10mg- I went into a tailspin- My doctor said something quickly in passing that I was having a rebound effect from coming off the Liptor- and that's why my cholesterol also jumped into the low 300's- I was rechallend with Zetia and threw it in the trash- I too cannot lose weight but my blood sugar is 99 and not rising thank goodness- I had raging painful hunger pains coming off the Crestor- they are now in check- I don't know how to quick start weight loss but I think I'm at the point I could walk a little bit- knees really hurt tough- maybe a treadmill?

Let me know what you fnd out about losing the weight if anything- I gained 30 lbs while I was sleeping the day away in my Lipitor stupor

I'll do a google search on the rebound effect of coming off a statin and if causes Choesterol to shoot up
bunnylady

Lipitor disaster

Postby haleybugs » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Dear Bunnylady, Thanks for responding. I was told that I was in a metabolic trauma because of the Lipitor. My doctor wanted me to take Crestor, I said, "NO WAY". Then she said, "How about WelChol?" I do not want to take any drugs! I am exercising and losing weight but still feel the side effects from every little thing I do. I was doing fine then felt like I had the flu. I have tremors at night like I was dehydrated. It may be all in my mind but last night was the first night it wasn't so bad. I am sick and tired of being like this. I wish I had never gone to the doctor in the first place. I have lost almost a year in my life. I have to listen to my body talk and it is still very fragile. Thanks for writing back.
haleybugs

Postby Darrell » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:17 am

Why on God's green Earth any doctor would recommend Crestor if you were in "metabolic trauma" from Lipitor is beyond me. That's like offering gasoline to somebody whose clothes are on fire. [I hate it when I leave this board spitting mad -- which is all too often!]
Darrell

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs