Transient Global Amnesia

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Transient Global Amnesia

Postby clcra » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:05 am

I was on Zocor for two years and all of a sudden I had amnesia. I was taking my husband to the hospital and couldn't remember where it was located. My amnesia lasted for six hours. I kept asking the same question over and over, didn't know my parents had died and couldn't remember my grandchildren. The strange thing is that I drove all the way to the hospital with my husband giving me directions....don't remember any of it. My doctor said that my amnesia was not from Zocor. I am afraid to go on another statin for the fear it will happen again. I received an email from a friend who was talking to another person about Zocor. This person told my friend that the same thing happened to his wife that happened to me. He said his wife got short-term memory loss while on a trip w/her husband to their summer cottage. She kept asking the same questions over and over again, was totally disoriented, didn't remember their summer cottage, and the next morning, she woke up in the hospital TOTALLY NORMAL and wondering why all her relatives were there. She had no recollection of the previous day's trip at all!! Her daughter went on the PC and found some medical info re Lipitor and Zocor, including an exact narrative of what happened to her, a massive, short-term memory loss, caused by Zocor!!
clcra

Postby iglenday » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:38 pm

January last year I had a similar episode. My wife kep asking me if I was ok. I have no recollection of anything from around 1 PM until 10:30 PM when I realized I was in the Emergency Room. I too had kept asking her the same questions over and over again. I was admitted over night and had numerous tests which revealed nothing wrong. The attending physician diagnosed my condition as Transient Global Amnesia. I followed up with a neurologist and the VA. The VA had prescribed the Simvastatin for me a couple of years before. The dosage had just been increased slightly a few weeks before the episode. My thinking was not too clear for sometime before this. After the TGA passed, my thinking was very clear. I never took Simvastatin again. I am now on Niaspan and my cholesteral levels are being maintained :?
iglenday

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs