Lipitor to Vytorin and now to Pravastatin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Lipitor to Vytorin and now to Pravastatin

Postby F4Phantom » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:07 pm

During the past year I've been on lipitor, Vytorin, and now Pravastatin. After having taken each of these medications, I have had varying negative results from each. I was on a low dose of Lipitor (I believe it was 10 mg) for about four months and had immediate severe muscle pain. My doctor took me off Lipitor and put me on Vytorin 10/10. The results were slower, but the muscle pain started again along with confusion and short term memory loss. I stopped taking Vytorin for about five (5) months and after the latest visit with my doctor, he put me on Pravastatin. I started 40mg Pravastatin on August 22, 2006 and seemed to be doing ok until about a week ago. The old familiar muscle pain started once again. Another symptom which started after taking statins is a constant twitching in my muscles. This is not limited to just one area. I called another doctor who is a family friend and he advised that some people are not able to take any statins without severe side effects, and suggested living with my cholesterol (150) and not take any kind of statin. Has anyone reading this message had similiar results? PS: My muscle pain was not only the constant debilating aches, but also a severe stabbing pain, especially in my arms and hands. My age is 67.
F4Phantom

Postby tex62 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:01 pm

F4Phantom,

It sounds as if your background is similar to my husband’s. He flew the F4 and later was a commercial pilot. He’s 63 and retired. Likewise, his experience with statins was similar to yours. He took Zocor 20mg for less than two years. Our doctor added Tricor to address slightly elevated triglycerides which led to a host of side effects. Among them was muscle pain in his legs. The pain was so intense that he had difficulty sleeping. When he was able to sleep, he had jerky, twitching movements in his arms and legs. Before he stopped taking the drugs, he developed carpal tunnel like pain in his hands and arms and extreme pain in his right knee. The pain in the hands continued to get worse for several months after stopping the drugs. After taking large doses of CoQ10 (900 – 1100 mg/day) the pain in his legs, exercise intolerance and a host of other symptoms went away. The pain in his arms and hands improved, but continued to be a problem until he started taking L-Carnitine. It took almost 9 months to make a full recovery. It seems that most people who’ve had a reaction to one statin, have a reaction to all of them, so he doesn’t plan to ever take statins again. His coronary risk factors were never high enough that he should have taken statins. We didn’t do enough research to determine that until it was too late. For him, exercise, a good diet, and proper supplements have provided all the benefits he needs.

Best wishes to you.
tex62

Postby F4Phantom » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Text62

Thanks for the reply. I thought I was in relatively good health until about a year ago when my family doctor insisted my cholesterol was too high (150). I have had nothing but bad experiences with Lipitor, Vytorin, and Pravastatin. I have stopped all statins since September 21, 2006. About nine (9) days ago, I started CoQ10 (300 mg a day) and L-Carnitine (500 mg a day) and the results so far have been amazing. The muscle pain has gone, but the muscle twitching is still in my arms and legs, although I believe they are slowly diminishing. Hopefully, any damage done will not be permanent. Thanks again, and good luck.

November 12, 2006
It's been two months since stopping the statins. The muscle twitching in my arms, hands, back, legs is still there. I have increased the CoQ10 to 1000 mg a day and L-Carnitine to 2000 mg a day. Maybe over time this annoying twitching will cease.
Last edited by F4Phantom on Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F4Phantom

Postby Darrell » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:39 am

150? I think you need a new family doctor!
{http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=183}
Darrell

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs