zocor and levaquin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

zocor and levaquin

Postby kacki » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:03 pm

Has anyone out there ever taken zocor & levquin at the same time?
I had aches and pains and very forgetful before I started taking the levaquin 3 yrs. ago. I had gone to the hospital via ambulance because
it was thought that I had food poisoning. After being admitted, the drs.
decided that I had ischemic colitis. As the dr. put it, it was like a stroke
to the large colon. I was in terrible pain and bleeding from the rectum.
It seems that I had developed a serious infection. I was put on levaquin via an IV for 7 days. I was then released with 750 mg of levaquin tabs
to take 2x's daily for 10 days, on the morning of the 3rd day I could not
get out of bed. I had pain in every muscle of my body. My other symtoms started showing up, one after another. Severe insomnia,
tinnitis, severe daytime fatique, vertigo, vision problems. short term
memory loss, confusion, unable to concentrate, hives, oral thrush,
rash on face, constant cold hands and feet, wild dreams in vivid color
and I also have this weird sensation just as I'm falling asleep - it's as if
I have two magnetic poles on either side of my brain and electic static comes from the poles and meets in the middle with a loud crack. That
brings me wide awake!! The pharmisist said that zocor and levaquin
have a lot of the same side effects, so I most likely got a double whammy. Sometimes, I think, I should just be put to sleep. :lol: :D .
Sorry. Didn't mean to write a book :lol:
Kathy
kacki

Postby CharlieZ » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:43 pm

For the past 7 days I have been taking Levaquin for an infection. I have been on Zocor 10mg on and off for 6 years. This past week the memory issues have been greater than normal.

I have had a variety of neurological abnormalities over the past 6 years which I am beginning to believe to be attributable to the Zocor.

These range from:
numbness in toes
tingling in face and arms
peripheral neuropathy
weird sensations in the legs from the knees down
plus a variety of others. One of the side ffects I have seen in print ( may mimic LUPUS, immune system attacking the nervous system

I have been MRI'd several times, plus two electro myography EMG( not any fun), a host of blood tests, and now a lumbar puncture spinal fluid tap looking for answers, but really just coming up with more questions.
CharlieZ

Postby Darrell » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:30 pm

"...I also have this weird sensation just as I'm falling asleep - it's as if I have two magnetic poles on either side of my brain and electic static comes from the poles and meets in the middle with a loud crack. That
brings me wide awake!!"

Wow! I remember similar stuff that hasn't happened since I quit Zocor. I had forgotten -- it's been almost two years. I never made the connection before today. I was always a sound sleeper, but I started being jolted awake. I would be jolted awake by this cracking "noise" that no one else would hear. I'd search the house and find nothing. It happened perhaps a half dozen times. I always dismissed it as noise from a nearby highway, but there weren't such problems before or after Zocor.
Darrell

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs