Statins and daily migraines

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins and daily migraines

Postby bunnylady » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 pm

Until these headaches go away I cannot funtion- I take Imitrex but there are only 9 in a dose and I take them every day- anyone else had this- did you ever get the headaches to end?
bunnylady

Postby harley2ride » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 am

Hey Bunny,
I really feel your pain. I've had constant-severe headaches non stop for the past couple of months.
harley2ride

Postby Dee » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:42 pm

Hi Bunny,
I have had migraines since age 12. About a year ago, I ran across some information about Hughes Syndrome. It is a clotting disorder, of an autoimmune nature, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, migraine is thought to be part of the syndrome and thinning the blood is the treatment. I started taking an aspirin every day (which I was suppose to be doing anyway because of a heart arrythmia, but had not been doing that like I should).

I have not had a migraine since I started the daily aspirin. My son also has migraines and taking a daily aspirin has cut his headaches by 50%.

Dee
Dee

Postby harley2ride » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am

You are lucky Dee.
In addition to a daily baby asprin, I usually take 2 ibuprophen for my daily 100 degree fever, and 2 excedrin-migraine. These only ease the pain from my headaches, but they rarely go away.
harley2ride

Postby Dee » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:06 pm

Harley, how miserable! I don't know what size of Ibuprofen you are taking, but anything less than 800mg. does not do much for me. That is prescription strength. As for the Excedrin Migraine, they just add caffeine to asprin.

Caffeine and ergot (Caffergot) was a standard prescription remedy for migraine for many years.

If you have not been evaluated by a neurologist for the exact type of headache you are having, you might want to do that. There are prescription drugs for common and classic migraine that will really knock them. If you are not having migraines, treating them as such might make your headaches worse.

Dee
Dee

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs