UCSD report

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

UCSD report

Postby bunnylady » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Here is a wonderful article from UCSD- this must be new?

we could use it and this site to write our letters as Harley has suggested

medicine.ucsd.edu/ses/adverse_effects.htm
bunnylady

Re: UCSD report

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:48 pm

The Statin Effects Study is an onging study conducted by Dr Beatrice
Golomb and her group. Dr Golomb also conducted a controlled study
but to date has not published the results. Lots of good info on this site.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby JL » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:17 am

While the list of adverse side effects is helpful,
It really ticks me off when doctors don't admit
that the body and cells all need cholesterol in order to function
healthfully and that cholesterol reduction is actually very harmful.
Dr. Golomb unfortunately seems to still be sucked into the mainstream thinking that cholesterol is to blame for heart disease when it is not. JL
JL

Postby bunnylady » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:23 pm

I agree- he seemed to be trying to keep a foot in and out at the same time- is he scared of the pro statin industry?
bunnylady

Postby Dee » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Dr. Golomb is a "she".

But true, no one doing these studies is a fan of cholesterol.

Although the benefits of cholesterol to the body seem obvious to us here at the discussion forum, that philosophy is not yet widely embraced by the mainline medical community.

While it is certainly frustrating that we have been crippled and maimed by a drug that exists for a false reason (to lower BAD, BAD cholesterol!) if we try to bring these researchers into the "cholesterol is a GOOD thing" camp, we will lose much of the pure focus on our common enemy....STATINS and the damage they have brought upon us and society in general (regardless of whether cholestrol is good or bad).

So I say let them expose statins for what they are....cholesterol as a essential ingredient for human functioning will come later...when science is more enlightened.

For now let's try to save others from statins and make the FDA and Big Pharma Corps. accountable for what they have done to us. We need these studies from credible researchers in order to accomplish that.

Dee
Dee

Postby Dee » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:32 pm

Fran,
Any idea when the study will be published? I have been hearing for over a year that publication will be "soon". Can't wait to see the results! Dee

[quote="sos_group_owner"]The Statin Effects Study is an onging study conducted by Dr Beatrice
Golomb and her group. Dr Golomb also conducted a controlled study
but to date has not published the results. Lots of good info on this site.

Fran[/quote]
Dee

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:02 pm

Re: Fran, Any idea when the study will be published? I have been hearing
for over a year that publication will be "soon". Can't wait to see the results! Dee

Hi Dee,

Everyone is waiting for the results of the controlled trial and can't
understand why it's not published yet. I sent an email to the group asking,
"When are the results of this "controlled trial" going to be published?"

I'll post their reply here.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Reply from UCSD

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:47 am

Reply...
Thank you for your interest in our study. We are still in the process
of data analysis and hard-at-work on our paper writing. I would predict
some papers will appear in one or another medical journal in the next
4-6 months. When the results are published, we will definitely put an
update on our welcome page to note that change. Thank you for your
patience!

Email sent to UCSD...
> On your Welcome page, you mention, "On site, we conducted a
> "randomized controlled trial" of persons living in San Diego,
> examining effects of statins on thinking, mood, behavior, and quality
> of life. That study was funded by the National Institutes of Health."
>
> When are the results of this "controlled trial" going to be published?
sos_group_owner

YOU TUBE: DR. GOLOMB

Postby pgrimm » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:32 pm

*http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-IARKXS4Q

YOU TUBE VIDEO- SIRA: New Views of Cholesterol; Statins and Heart Attacks. A presentation by this UCSD professor/researcher, Beatrice Golomb, MD, at Sam and Rose Stein Institute for research on again.
Added January 16, 2008

I don't know if this has already been posted here. Found this while researching what has been on You Tube already about statins. This is most educational. It's pretty long, appox. one hour, and scientific, worth taking the time.
pgrimm

UCSD report

Postby jazzbird925 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:35 pm

I watched the video this morning and am disappointed, to say the least:

Perhaps I'm missing something or maybe new information has arisen since it was made, but Dr. Golomb doesn't seem to strongly substantiate the multiple and legitimate claims of statin-induced damage. Were I not suffering, based on the video, I would doubt the strong claims of statin-side effects.....again, maybe I missed something? The video's evidence supporting our claims seemed weak and minimal.........
jazzbird925

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:18 pm

Perhaps this was just on cholesterol and what the statin studies have showed so far.... building up to what the statin drugs are doing?

Lord I hope she isn't selling us out! I just got done telling somebody today that she is doing that survey and that it will be the most fairest study done yet and she will expose the truth...
Cat Mom2

Postby pgrimm » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:37 pm

The way I see it, she has to work within her professional community. I think the important thing to remember is that she is committed to a study about the effects of statin drugs. When the results show that there is statistical evidence that these drugs do damage people, she can then stand before her peers and make definitive statements without alienating her community. This is how I hope this will go! Without the statistics, she can't make the kind of statements you are looking for. Anecdotal evidence just doesn't cut it in the scientific world.

As I said somewhere else here, she has agreed to consult on Bill's case with the VA doctors. I'll update you on how that goes.
pgrimm

Postby Allen1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 am

Hi there Pam,

I think you are right enough in what you said about Dr Golomb and having to keep everyone happy till all the results come in. A lot of people are looking at what she is trying to do and have nothing but respect for the work she is doing, it would indeed be a catastrophe for us all if she was to sell us out after so much hope and information had been given by so many.

I don't think that she would let us down but the video didn't boost my confidence at all, the only thing we can do now is wait and see.
Allen1

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Allen, I have participated in the Dr. Golomb study and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she is not a shill.
gotts1936

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Gotts: I hardly think Dr Golomb is a shill. The study is closely controlled by scientific and funder standards (NON-PHARMA) which nave to be met no matter how exciting a find or findings might be. Knee jerk reactions could and probably would sink their ship and they would lose their funding. I remember in my twenties the US population was incensed with the undermanned FDA because they couldn't approve new drugs FAST enough - I wish we were still complaining about that now. Hindsight is always primo.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Brooks, I agree with you, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Brooks, I just wonder where she is getting funding for her project. This is not a secret project. Everyone know about it including the drug companies. This project has asked for funding from me and I would provide same, if I felt comfortable about providing funding. Please help me!
gotts1936

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:25 pm

Gotts: This study was supported primarily by NIH/NHLBI grant number 5RO1 HL063055. (NIH is the Nat'l Inst. of Health)

Much of the lab testing was supported by the UCSD CRC labs under NIH grant M01 RR00827.

And by contributions from wonderful viewers like you and me. Yes, I am a financial supporter.

No pharmaceutical funding is involved.

The entire project plan can be found at:

*http://weber.ucsd.edu/~mbacci/white/pub_files/hwcv-090.pdf

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Have any of you ran into this? When posting on other forums of the severe negative effects statins had on me, there is always someone there to bash what I am saying? They claim statins have done so much good to so many people and saved countless lives..If you keep the conversation going long enough, turns out they have ties to the medcial profession?

They say with a vengence that it is OUR responsiability to research the meds the doctos give us and it is right at our fingertips and if we don't read them, that is NOT the doctors fault. You tell them you are talking about the hidden side effects, not the on ones list and they still insist it is OUR responsiability to search them out on our own? I can feel them coming a mile away and know right away they have connections by what they say.

What they say boils down to is that you can no longer trust the doctors to know anything about what they are giving you and you can no longer trust/respect them like we were taught when we were growing up. They always say NO ONE should EVER stop a medicine without discussing it with your doctor first.

There was one thing that Dr. Golomb pointed out that also explaines other problems I have been having and had not connected to statins. That it lowers tostosterone. I have had a ongoing female infection that I can't get rid of and the doctor said the lack of tostosterone is what is causing it and I may have to take it.....? I let him know NO PHARACUTICLES! I want to watch it several more times when I get time and take more notes..
Cat Mom2

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm

The lowered testosterone is a hint to the reduced libido and hightened sensitivity of many men who are affected by statins.
cjbrooksjc

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs