Statins and blood sugar problems?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins and blood sugar problems?

Postby greens4christ » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 am

I am asking for someone else....
Has anyone had a problem with their blood sugar rising with statin drugs?
Thanks!
Missy
greens4christ

Postby bunnylady » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:56 pm

My daughter insisted I have mine checked as she really thought I had diabetes and it was nothing to do with the statins- I was fine- 99 was the reading- you can do this test at home too
bunnylady

Border line diabetic

Postby JL » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:55 am

Very interesting topic and thanks for the question because it got me thinking about the various problems that my mom has been having ever since they started her on lipitor back in May 06. She never had problems with cholesterol prior to April when she got her stroke. But after April, all of a sudden they said she needed lipitor. Now, 3 months after being on lipitor, they now tell her that she is "borderline diabetic." She was never "borderline diabetic" before her stroke and before taking lipitor. Now that this discussion has arisin, I am wondering if statins do indeed have something to do with raising blood sugar. This might be something that needs further investigation. JL
JL

Postby Dee » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 pm

I believe one of the possible adverse effects of Statins is Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). I know that when I was on Pravachol, inspite of using insulin, my blood sugar would just not come down. Now (off Pravachol over 2 years) my blood sugar readings are quite good, using the same dose of insulin.
Dee

Statins & blood sugar levels & weight gain

Postby StatinFreeKathe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:52 am

Blood sugar levels were the reason I got off statins. I started taking Lipitor 7 years ago, switched to generic, 10mg, then 20mg, then 40 mg, then 80 mg, then they switched me to Vytorin. Every time they increased my dosage my cholesterol would go up and my blood sugar levels would be above normal but in the 140-150 range (should be <110). Blood sugars started climbing more after I started Vytorin, after 15 days it was 366 (that's approaching coma level) That was the last statin I took. My medical chart now lists Vytorin as something I'm allergic to.
I never connected the statins with weight gain, but it must have had an effect. I was less than 200 before I started the statins, I gained >80 pounds in those 7 years, I was hospitalized twice for breathing episodes, (a statin effect?) I haven't had one since I stopped the statins.
I really need a chart of cholesterol levels (not written by the 12 men, who get paid by the drug companies, that charted cholesterol in men in the 40 o 50 year old range) I'm a woman over 60, I don't believe cholesterol levels are ONE SIZE FITS ALL. :(
StatinFreeKathe

Postby Darrell » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:36 pm

You are correct that cholesterol levels are not "one size fits all". Here's some data on "Total cholesterol by sex and age, 2003, England". There's some text that may be of interest, but you have to be able to open an Excel spreadsheet (.xls) to see the detailed numbers.
[http://www.heartstats.org/datapage.asp?id=1005]
Darrell

Postby CatMom » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 pm

My bosses mother had to be put in a nursing home because there are just so many things wrong with her that she is unable to take care of herself. Her diabeties is out of control and they can not get it to come down for nothing. She was diagnosed with dementia and early onset alzheimers (spelling?) awhile back and he even told me of some things that have happened that sound exactly like that (TGA) amnesia. He says she can hardly walk now she is prone to falling. I asked him if she is on statin drugs and he said she is on about 40 different drugs and he has no idea what she is on but he trusts her doctors completely. He got extreemly defensive when I suggested it sounded like she was having a reaction to the statin drugs and flat out said the doctors would know the side effects. This poor woman isn't that much older than I am and she is in horriable shape and going downhill fast. I think it started with her diabeties and bloomed from there with all the medicines they have added and added until they have about killed her. She will not last another year.
CatMom

Postby bookworm » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:08 pm

After taking Crestor for six months, my blood sugar which has always been normal, went up. I asked my pharmacist if she had ever heard of Crestor causing an increase in blood sugar and she had not, but found information right in Crestor's informational insert in the box showing "endocrine" and "hyperglycemia" as adverse reactions in a small % of users. I showed this to my doctor today and he called the written information "bogus" and said he would contact the manufacturers of Crestor and would let me know what he finds. I have elected to discontinue the Statins completely and try some of the other options including diet, exercise and some natural food supplements such as Red Rice Yeast. I am a 60 year old woman. I have tried several statins and had trouble with all of them. A skin rash, muscle and joint pain, etc. But this blood sugar thing scared me more than risk of stroke or heart attack. That may be the wrong viewpoint, but it is the one I have. I will post again if I hear anything. I realize I may be in "denial" about having diabetes and this morning my doctor said I am not diagnosed as "diabetic" but that I need to watch it and recommended that I see a dietician which I will do. Please share any information or experiences you have had similiar to mine and what you have done about them.
bookworm

Postby catspajamas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:54 pm

My blood sugar levels went up when I was on zocor....they are normal now that I am off of it.......beware of the red yeast rice...it is a natural statin......
catspajamas

Postby bookworm » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Thank you for the warning about Red Rice Yeast. I was not aware that is also a statin. I will continue to read and try to learn. Will post what I hear back from my doctor.
bookworm

Reply for Bookworm

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:48 am

Hi Bookworm,

Please read Dr Graveline's article "Women and Statins":
http://www.spacedoc.net/women_statins.htm
"there is no statistically proven cardiovascular benefit from the use of statins for cholesterol reduction in women..."

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:01 am

I have thought for a long time that late onset diabetes is another effect of the body's production of CoenzymeQ10 falling off with age. Use of a statin will make Q10 levels drop even further and the pancreas will have less energy supply to its insulin making process, and so worsen any tendency for diabetes to commence.

This was borne out in a doctor's magazine article telling the merits of taking Q10 as a normal supplement, but warning that it might reduce sugar levels, in other words, it would a improve a failing insulin level, a good feature, but of course, you would need to monitor your sugar level, and perhaps reduce your medication, but this may need medical supervision.

I have explained this in more detail in my paper at www.spacedoc.net/r_holder.html

I believe that taking a regular small dose of Q10 from age 50 or so might help defer a lot of the problems of age, keep body systems working at normal levels for longer, and prevent heart failure.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby bookworm » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:39 am

Is the blood sugar issue the reason we are told to use Coenzyme Q-10 along with the statins? As I have been reading here, I started to vaguely recall something about that product being mentioned but not told what it was for. Looking in my "pill cupboard" I have found a bottle of that with about half of the capsules left in it. The bottle expired in May of 2005 which tells me that no one ever inquired about it when I was put on the Crestor in July of 2006. I am not saying this is my doctor's fault or my fault. This is either one of the things my memory blocked out, or the importance of using CQ-10 was not re-enforced to me enough to keep it an active part of the regimen. I really feel confused and stressed out now! Would the CQ-10 have kept my blood sugar levels normal? Had I been told that, I think I would have taken it. I am very concerned about Adult Onset diabetes. I am still reading and learning. Thank you for the insights from your experiences and knowledge.
bookworm

Postby Darrell » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:40 am

Q10 is recommended with statins because statins reduce the body's ability to make Q10. Q10 levels also decrease with age.
Darrell

Reply for Bookworm

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi Bookworm,

CoQ10 depletion is the primary reason we experience side effects from statins, ie: muscle/joint - pain/stiffness, muscle damage, cognitive decline, depression, just to name a few.

"CoQ10 is arguably our most important essential nutrient. Its role in energy production is to make possible the transfer of electrons from one protein complex to another (within the inner membrane of the mitochondria) to its ultimate recipient, ATP."

Read the complete article at: http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_CoQ10.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

side effects

Postby vipergg22 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:17 pm

Body as a Whole: Chest pain, face edema, fever, neck rigidity, malaise, photosensitivity reaction, generalized edema.

Digestive System: Nausea, gastroenteritis, liver function tests abnormal, colitis, vomiting, gastritis, dry mouth, rectal hemorrhage, esophagitis, eructation, glossitis, mouth ulceration, anorexia, increased appetite, stomatitis, biliary pain, cheilitis, duodenal ulcer, dysphagia, enteritis, melena, gum hemorrhage, stomach ulcer, tenesmus, ulcerative stomatitis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, cholestatic jaundice.

Respiratory System: Bronchitis,rhinitis, pneumonia, dyspnea, asthma, epistaxis.

Nervous System: Insomnia, dizziness, paresthesia, somnolence, amnesia, abnormal dreams, libido decreased, emotional lability, incoordination, peripheral neuropathy, torticollis, facial paralysis, hyperkinesia, depression, hypesthesia, hypertonia.

Musculoskeletal System: Arthritis, leg cramps, bursitis, tenosynovitis, myasthenia, tendinous contracture, myositis.

Skin and Appendages: Pruritus, contact dermatitis, alopecia, dry skin, sweating, acne, urticaria, eczema, seborrhea, skin ulcer.

Urogenital System: Urinary tract infection, hematuria, albuminuria, urinary frequency, cystitis, impotence, dysuria, kidney calculus, nocturia, epididymitis, fibrocystic breast, vaginal hemorrhage, breast enlargement, metrorrhagia, nephritis, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, urinary urgency, abnormal ejaculation, uterine hemorrhage.

Special Senses: Amblyopia, tinnitus, dry eyes, refraction disorder, eye hemorrhage, deafness, glaucoma, parosmia, taste loss, taste perversion.

Cardiovascular System: Palpitation, vasodilatation, syncope, migraine, postural hypotension, phlebitis, arrhythmia, angina pectoris, hypertension.

[b]Metabolic and Nutritional Disorders: Peripheral edema, hyperglycemia, creatine phosphokinase increased, gout, weight gain, hypoglycemia.
[/b]
Hemic and Lymphatic System: Ecchymosis, anemia, lymphadenopathy, thrombocytopenia, petechia.

Postintroduction Reports

Adverse events associated with LIPITOR therapy reported since market introduction, that are not listed above, regardless of causality assessment, include the following:

anaphylaxis, angioneurotic edema, bullous rashes (including erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis), rhabdomyolysis, and fatigue.
vipergg22

Postby eml256 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Dr. Beatrice Golomb mentioned hyperglycemia (increased serum glucose levels) as a potential side effect in an early article ..I will search for it in my files.
In addition, I found the following on the "People's Pharmacy" web site:
In an interview Dr. Golomb explains:"There are two studies that have shown unexpected significant increases in blood sugar or in hemoglobin A1C (which is an index of blood sugar over time) with statin use. Though increases are modest on average, some people appear to experience more considerable increases."

Dr. Golomb and the UCSD Statin Study (statinstudy@ucsd.edu) are conducting research on this issue, and are interested in hearing from those who have experienced blood sugar elevations on statins, as well as other adverse experiences on statins.
eml256

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs