My husband's statin story

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

My husband's statin story

Postby gardeneyes » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:04 pm

My husband is 51 years old and other than having high cholesterol, had no medical problems. After his last physical in March, his doctor gave him a prescription for livostatin. He began taking it in March. In April he was lifting weights and pulled a muscle. My husband lifts weights regularly and has never had this happen before. From there it was downhill. He began having severe sciatic problems and then began experiencing muscle weakness and tingling. He also began losing weight and became fatigued very easily. Since he had the muscle strain, we thought some of the symptoms were related to that. He began chiropractic, physical therapy and was given muscle relaxers and anti-depressants. He quit the statin drugs after his second month because of the other medications he was on. He has continued to lose weight and muscle tone and has now become too weak to even take walks like we used to do. He also has stopped sweating, his allergies have disappeared and his digestion is very slow. He had all the tests for MS, ALS, etc with no result. His neurologist suggested he see a mental health professional. It was after that appointment that our doctor called us and "suggested" he go off the statin medication. We then went back to his regular doctor and explained our concerns. His response was "eat better and get more exercise". So far his has lost over 20 pounds in the past 2 months because of losing muscle tone and not being able to digest food. He has begun taking the supplements recommended here and it has helped some. But, he is so frustrated by the continuing problems. We will see another neurologist next week and will ask for a test for peripheral neuropathy. He is afraid this is permanent and worries about his ability to work in the future.
gardeneyes

Postby Darrell » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:34 pm

"He is afraid this is permanent and worries about his ability to work in the future."
I had the same fears. Even with Q10, I had to use a cane for a long time. Eventually I was able to do without it most of the time. Even with the cane, I had to pace myself -- perhaps an hour of activity followed by hours of rest was the only way I could do things without ending up totally devestated by evening. It was 16 months after stopping Zocor that on this site Ray Holder suggested I try L-Carnitine. It's not a cure, but it does wonders for me. I can be active all day now. With that and the recognition of some improvement over the first 16 months, I can be hopeful that the worst is over and I can resume my normal work schedule. Tell your husband to hang in there: The statin is gone. The supplements are helping some. Experiment with the doses to get maximum benefit. It's going to take time.
Darrell

Postby CatMom » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:37 am

[quote]. "His neurologist suggested he see a mental health professional." [/quote]

Now don't that remark put the icing on the cake! I think I would have to tell that doctor that HE is the one that needs a mental health professional for his failure to see and admit that the statin drugs are not what they are cracked up to be. Maybe a professinal could help him pull his head out of the sand!

You husbands symptoms are listed on the insert and are always mentioned and they are STILL not admitting it was the statin that did it? What is wrong with this picture?
CatMom

doctors don't want to admit anything

Postby gardeneyes » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:10 pm

We keep trying to bring it back to the nerve issues and muscle problems but they keep wanting to run other tests. My dh had a colonoscopy today which showed nothing (of course). I ran across a site that mentioned gastroparesis which causes slow digestion of food. All the symptoms matched what my dh has been experiencing. I asked the doctor if they would consider a gastric emptying study to verify if that was the problem. He just said, "come in and see me". Of course, the cause of gastroparesis is nerve damage. It all fits because it all related to the neuropathy that we believe he has. I guess we will continue to see out someone who will verify what has happened. He is not really improving much, even with the supplements. It may just take more time.

Marilea
gardeneyes

Postby bunnylady » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:45 pm

I love it when they say "come in and see me"- that means another office visit- another 1/2 day spent going there, waiting, coming home

We were traveling cross country last year before I took any statins and we stopped in Omaha for a while- saw a physicians assistant there- told her about my gastric reflux problems and told her I wanted a test- EGG I think? I never met the gastroenterolgist except for a brief moment in the hospital- he then ordered that stomach emptying test for me- I thought it was dumb- I had no problems like that- it was negative- but its very easy to take- and you have the answer right then by the tech- I'd just find a new doctor- lie- tell them your hubby had the test 2 years ago and he needs it again- if you tell them in medical terms what YOU want they always do it (just about) tell them you were traveling and you don't remember the doctors name blah blah blah
bunnylady

Reply for "gardeneyes"

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Hi Marilea,

Please keep a very detailed medical diary of all your husbands symptoms and tests and the corresponding date of each incident. Request copies of all lab work results. Keep all in a folder. If you do decide to change doctors or get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, it will make it easier for you to keep track of all events, by date. You may need this info in the future.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs