TRANSIENT GLOBAL AMNESIA

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

TRANSIENT GLOBAL AMNESIA

Postby Jakesgrama » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:40 pm

While looking for information on Parkinson's disease, I came upon your website. I have often wondered if TGA is somehow connected to Parkinson's. I have studied the web for the past 5 years concerning TGA. My husband had an attack in July of 2000. Your article on Lipitor was the first time that I ever read of the relationship between the drug and TGA. My husband used to be on Lipitor before he was put on Pravachol and I do believe that he was taking Lipitor at the time of his attack. He is now taking Zocor.
My husband and I were getting ready to go to the hospital to be present at the birth of our son and daughter in laws first baby. He went to take a shower and when he got out he asked me where we were going. I thought he was kidding. He didn't even remember that she was pregnant. I of course thought he had a stroke and called the paramedics. He was transported to the same hospital where the baby was born. They told us after many tests, that it was a classic case of TGA. The doctor that he had at the time insisted that he had a TIA but his Neurologist confirmed in a subsequent visit that it was a TGA.
After the TGA I noticed a difference in my husband. He was sent for a carotid artery study and many other tests. He has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease for the past 2 years. I now wonder if this is true Parkinson's or if it could be caused by the meds. It is very frustrating to say the least. He has lost the use of his left hand and has had to take an early retirement. Last summer the same daughter in law who had the baby, called me and said "you aren't going to believe this!" Her step dad that lives in Tennessee was out mowing his lawn and came in to his wife and had no idea what he had been doing. He even told her that they didn't own a lawn mower. He was taken to the hospital and was diagnosed with a TGA. I have just sent his wife the link to your article.
If you have any information on a relationship between TGA and Parkinson's I would greatly appreciate any information that you could share.
Jakesgrama

Postby lb1c » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 am

Until 1999 I had never had any problem with Tachycardia. I was placed on Statins for high cholesterol. After about 6 weeks, I began having shortness of breath and a rapid heartbeat. I had a complete check of the heart, costing hundreds of dollars. I was told there was nothing wrong with my heart. I began to have pain in my lower back,& got where I could hardly walk. My cholesterol has stayed around 240 & lately I began to have erection problems.If I got an erection, it would fail very quickly.Again I talked to my Dr. & was told it was possibly an age problem. After finding the SpaceDr. web site, I quit taking the statins. I now am taking garlic, fish oil, vitamin E & C. I also eat lots of fruits & vegetables.No red meat.I gave my Dr. the web site of the spacedoc. Last week my cholesterol was 200.I am doing great & most of the problems are doing better.
Thanks, Larry
lb1c

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs