Mitochondrial Cytopathy Paper

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Mitochondrial Cytopathy Paper

Postby Darrell » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:52 pm

I think many of you with muscle problems, fatigue, etc. will find this to be of interest:

[url]http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/Cohen701.PDF[/url]

The No. 1 treatment listed is Q10. The No. 2 treatment listed is L-Carnitine. And there are others discussed. There is an excellent set of references at the end.

The good news is that these two pediatric neurologists at the Cleveland Clinic seem to have a lot of perspective that is severely lacking in some of our local practitioners.

The bad news is that the diseased cells may not be replaced by healthy cells and there are no known cures.
Darrell

Just read paper

Postby SusieQ » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanks for this link. This was s fascinating article despite its being related to hereditary disease rather than statin problems.

I have a question. According to Table 7, Vitamin E can interfere with CoQ-10 absorption. Doesn't the Doc recommend taking them together?
SusieQ

Postby Darrell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:30 am

The article abstract states that these are "inherited and acquired disorders".

Spacedoc recommends Omega 3, aspirin and vitamins B6, B12 and Folic Acid. I don't see a vitamin E recommendation.
Darrell

Postby SusieQ » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm pretty sure that somehwere on this site I saw that CoQ-10 should be taken with Vitamin E because it is fat soluble and the Vitamin E helps with absorption. At the moment I don't remember where I saw it--I suppose it could have been somewhere else. I'm sure it will turn up again.
SusieQ

COQ 10

Postby Cathy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:52 pm

Wasn't it COQ 10 in a base of vitiamn E?
Cathy

Re: CoQ10 and Vitamin E

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:39 am

From Dr Beatrice Golomb (UCSD Statin Effects Study)
Excerpt from "STATINS AND CoQ10":
"Coenzyme Q10 should be in gelcaps, in an oil or vitamin-E base to be absorbed."
http:/medicine.ucsd.edu/ses/adverse_effects.htm#Statins%20and%20CoQ10

CoQ10 is also available in powdered form (in a capsule), but does not have the same benefit as gelcaps in oil/vit E.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs