My life since statins ...

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

My life since statins ...

Postby N_Cherny » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:46 pm

Just want to add my number to the inventory of cases:

I was put on Lipitor in 2003 and was on it for several months, during which time I noticed increasing pain in thigh and calf muscles, progressing to weakness in legs and eventually in arms. First I denied it (telling myself I was just out of shape), but could no longer ignore it when I lost muscle tone in legs that had always been like oak trees and in arms that had always been very strong.

Told doctor, who took me off Lipitor and told me symptoms would remit. He did take blood, which showed elevated K enzyme. He waited a little while, then started me on Zetia*, which he assured me would not have these effects and had been developed for people who couldn't tolerate statins. Two days after beginning Zetia, I developed acute joint pain throughout my body. I could barely type, my hands were so painful, and walking was difficult. I took myself off Zetia, and those symptoms did remit quickly, but the muscle pain only abated -- it never completely disappeared. Telling myself the joint symptoms might have had another origin, I did attempt Zetia again, but the effect was the same. My solution was to stop taking the drugs and stop seeing my doctor. In the meantime, the leg pain remained (although not so acute), and I begin to walk like a much older person. I had always been very sure-footed and balanced, and this was no longer true. One of my great pleasures in life is a park nearby on Long Island Sound where there are wonderful rocks to scramble over; I found myself carefully placing my feet and looking where I was going, and feeling no confidence in my body. I was only 51.

In August of 04, I hurt my back laying patio stone and gravel. I am absolutely certain that the injury was an indirect consequence of the drug experience: as my muscles never completely recovered, I did not lift the stone and gravel in the safe way – squatting and using legs to lift – but by bending and lifting, which as everyone knows is the worst way. Doctor ordered an MRI which showed I had ruptured a disk. Doctor’s response was “it probably never was the Lipitor – you probably just had sciatica all this timeâ€
N_Cherny

possible statin induced myopathy

Postby hgreg » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:38 am

I have a similar personal experience, with the use of 3 types of statin drugs, which I related to Dr. Graveline a few months ago. I am a Registered Nurse with 44 yrs. experience and degrees in Nursing andBicchemistry. I have a family history of hypercholesterolemia, osteoarthritis, and Grave's disease--diagnosed in 2002.
In June of 1998 I was put on 10 mg of lipitor daily and suffered mild side effects which I learned to live with: ex: fatigue, muscle aches, pains, and increase in muscle cramps-including unusual cramps in muscles in which I had never had cramps before. When I told my family doctor about this, he suggested I take Co-enzyme Q10. I tried it and could tell no difference in the symptoms I had been having so I stopped it. About two and one half years ago I developed an intermittent strange, metallic or salty taste in my mouth. It was worse when I was excersing (because of drinking lots of liquids) and when eating--anything which increased the production of saliva. Even a banana tasted salty to me. This became much worse later on after going on vytorin.
In August 2004 I was put on zetia 10 mg daily, in addition to the lipitor. My doctor wanted to increase my dosage of lipitor but I was reluctant to do this because of the side effects I was already having and knew an indrease in dosage would increase the side effects. My LDL was 160. I agreed to try the zetia. I experienced some increase in my muscle aches and pains--especially in my back--and this became severe at times. Also, my osteoarthritis was getting worse. I have had osteoarthritis for over 30 yrs. and I well know my usual symptoms. The symptoms were annoying but not intolerable. I knew I had to see the doctor later and would talk to him about them.
In September, 2004 I was put on vytorin 10/20 mg daily in the evening. My LDL was now 130 but I was taking two pills; with vytorin I could take one pill. I asked the doctor if the increase in my musclo-skeletal symtoms and increasing arthritis could be a side effect of the statins and he said "I don't think so". After starting vytorin, I had a definite increase in problems with my muscles--burning, tenderness, weakness, and increased sensitivity to sprain, strains, and pulls. This was in addition to the aches, pains, and cramps I had been having. The pains in my back worsened, the fatigue became much worse--to the point where at times it was overwhelming. I lost my stamina and felt "bad" almost all the time. It was a big effort to work around my home, or work at my part-time job, or to exercise. It took 2 to 3 days to recover from any physical activity in which I participated. I noticed an increase in flatulence, malaise, an increasing sensitivity to light and noise, the strange taste in my mouth, stiffness in my neck and in my morning stiffness. I also noticed internal symptoms similar to those of systemic Lupus. I knew something was wrong inside my body but did not know what was causing it. I have recently learned that zocor can cause a Lupus-like syndrome and an alteration in taste.
Mid December, 2004
I talked with my doctor and told him most of my complaints were in my muscles, not my joints--even though my osteoarthrits was getting worse. I again asked him if the vytorin could be causing my symptoms. He said he didn't think so, but I could go off of it if I wanted to. I went off the med for a week, (which I know now, is too short a time to notice a difference in symptoms), didn't notice any change and went back on it. He did order tests for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Lyme's Disease, and liver enzymes. Throughout my entire experience with the statins, my liver enzymes were never elevated.
Mid January, 2005 The only blood tests which were positive were the two tests for Lyme's Disease-which are notorious for giving false positives. I was put on doxycycline and took it for 3 months. The internal symptoms went away, but it could have been a coincidence. Neither the terrible fatigue, the musclo-skeletal symptoms, the unusual taste in my mouth, nor the malaise went away. I noticed depression over the winter and slight dyspnea on exertion.
April, 2005 I went to a Rheumatologist who had a sedimentation rate and a c-reactive protein test done. Both were negative. He told me I probably had not had Lyme's Disease and I did not have an inflammatory disease. I have recently learned that the statins can cause a myopathy in which the inflammatory enzymes are not elevated.
May, 2005 Because my house is 75 yrs. old and the source of my water is a spring, I had my water tested--thinking that it might contain heavy metals or lead which could be causing my symptoms. These test were negative also. I had narrowed down the cause of my symptoms to the long term effects of Lyme's Disease or to the side effects of the statins.
May 16, 2005 I stopped taking vytorin the day I got the results of my water tests. The strange taste in my mouth went away in 3 days. I soon started feeling better and in 3 weeks could tell a definite difference int the symptoms I had been having in my muscles. My depression went away. I had much less "gas", less back pain, my sensitivity to light and noise is normal. I did experience a swelling in my left knee and the middle joint of my third finger right hand.
Mid June, 2005 I saw the Rhuematologist again, had repeat sed rate and crp tests and an aspiration of my left knee. The blood tests were again negative. The aspirate showed cells and crystals consistent with osteoarthrits. He again said he did not think I had L.D. but my osteoarthrites was getting worse.
June 30, 2005 I saw my family doctor and he says he thinks I did have L.D. but I was adequately treated and do not have long term effects of the disease. When I asked him why my ostheoarthritis was getting so much worse in such a short time he said "I don' know".
July 4, 2005 Seven weeks after stopping vytorin and I felt much, much, better. I continued to tire easily but die not have the overwhelming fatigue I had earlier.
Oct. 19. 2005 I have recently been diagnosed with pseudogout. which often occurs along with osteoarthritis. I suspect that my worsening arthritis was caused by a hypersensitivity to the statins. I also continue to have a susceptibility to muscle strains, pulls, tears, and sprains. My fatigue is about normal for my age, and I continue to exercise but I cannot do so as hard or as long as I did before I went on statins.
I believe the statins are dangerous drugs, that they are prescribed much too lightly by doctors, some of whom do not know that they can seriously impair a person's life and health without the side effects progressing to a case of radbomyolysis. I also wonder if my muscles have been permanently damaged by the drugs. I am hoping that more time( I have read that it may take 1 to 2 yrs. to completely recover) will prove me wrong about that. I plan to never take another statin drug . I am taking B vitamins, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, a high fiber diet, and exercise to help keep me healthy. I also try to keep up with the research and reports concerning hypercholesterolemia. Maybe someday a new, safe drug will be developed to help the people who cannot take the "wonder-drugs"=the statins.
hgreg

Neck, Back, Plantar Fasciitis etc.

Postby kimsuoil » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:54 am

Two years ago when I was 44 I finally gave in to my doctor who had been urging me to go on a statin due to my 250+- cholesterol readings. He put me on 10 mg Zetia along with 40 mg of Pravachol. These 2 drugs dropped my cholesterol down to the 150-170 range. Within 2 months I had one of the most acute neck spasms after painting a porch which I thought was due to "getting older" type pains. However, I am a very active person, I jog 3 miles, 5 days per week and workout with light free weight 3 days a week for the last 22 years. I experienced neck and back aches about every other week while on this combination of drugs. Sometimes I would just wake up in the morning with terrible neck aches. These aches kind of sneak up on you and you don't even think it might be caused by your meds. After 11 months on these 2 drugs (which were costing me $140/month) my doctor switched me to Vytorin. The Vytorin dropped my cholesterol even further to 133! However, my back and neck pain increased to once every week and I could barely jog any more due to severe ankle and heel pain in my left foot. This foot pain was so bad that I was limping around like a 80 year old man. I finally told my doctor that I wanted to switch back to Pravachol which gave me less pain and we did this for a month. I gave up all statins on August 1, 2005 and after 2.5 months I haven't had any back or neck pain and my Plantar Fasciitis is almost healed. What I learned about taking statins is that it causes your muscles, tendons, and joints to be more susceptible to injury especially if you are an athlete or very active person. I would caution anyone to be wary of these dangerous drugs.
kimsuoil

Postby mskt » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:24 pm

Its nice to know that your decision to stop taking cholesterol pills have been beneficial. However, I would like to know how it has affected your cholesterol levels? Are they higher? or lower? If lower, I would like to know what steps you have taken to make it better? Have you taken any specific supplements or medications?

Thanks!
mskt

Cholesterol after stopping statins

Postby kimsuoil » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:23 am

My cholesterol is about 240 without statins. I would stop worrying about cholesterol level. My mother and father are now 70 & 75 and have had cholesterol levels of 250-280 since their mid fortys. Both have no signs of heart disease, but they have a healthy lifesyle of exercising, low body weight and they still work every day. Each person has a set cholesterol level to repair cells and keep you body's functions working properly. Dr. Graveline is correct that heart disease is not caused by elevated cholesterol. Cholesterol is an inocent bystander. When there is a fire you see firemen. Did the firemen cause the fire? The real culprit is inflamation. You can control this with a baby aspirin and vitamin B complex.

I would do the following:

1. Keep a healthy weight for your height
2. Exercise 5 days per week for 30 minutes
3. Eat healthy, no sugar and refined carbs, high protein.
4. Relax and lower your stress levels
5. Take an aspirin a day and a Vitamin B complex

These five lifestyle changes will cost you very little and may protect you better than taking a Statin drug every day and avoid the terrible side effects and possible complications from long term use.

Read the following alternate view of cholesterol: spiked-online.com/Printable/0000000CAE78.htm
kimsuoil

Postby mskt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:04 pm

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. I will relay the message to my father, who I'm doing this research for. He has been in cholesterol drugs for years --- lipitor, crestor and now vytorin. Eversince he has been on these, except crestor, he has had severe muscle cramps on his legs where they would be as hard as wood. I am very concerened because his cholesterol is about 230 or so, even if he is doing everything right.

I hope he decides to take your advice to see what works for him.

Stay well. =)
mskt

My life has changed

Postby Grannygood » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 pm

[size=18][/size]iI really feel connected to each and everyone of you with your experiences on these drugs. Mine stated on August 29th of this year, the day before I was painting my bedroom, when I got up on the 29th I felt a little strange, figured I must of over did it, as the day went on I lost the feeling in my hands and then my feet. The tingeling the burning I felt like I had bugs crawling all over me and muscle spasms in my back until I thought I would pass out from the pain. The next day I went to my husbands chiropractor he figured I had a pinched nerve. After a week of treatment I figured I better see my family doctor, by the way the same doctor who practically forced the statins on me seven months before. She immediatly orderd exrays and a MRI. They found I had spinal stenosis, but I've had that for 10 years, then they sent me to a neurosurgeon who thought I might have a herniated disk and ordered me to 3 weeks of physical therapy that didn't help and I decided to look up neuropathy on net and low and behold statin drugs came up and with the one I was taking near the top of the list. I was was really upset I printed out the information and couldn't wait to see the doctor. He wasn't sure that could be the problem, but I could go off them and he was sure I would be back in a couple of weeks, so he could run more test on me. The side effects started to disappear somewhat after about 10 days. Today my life has changed so much , I have weakness in my left arm and I can't lift up much without dropping it. I can't walk along distance because the neuropathy comes back when I over due it. I am on supplements and they seem to help somewhat, but it sounds like I have a long road ahead of me. I have been to my doctor and she hasn't ask me to to start taking statins again, but I do have another cholesterol test comming up in January and if it's up again I am sure she will push for statins again. There is no way I will ever take those drugs again. I had a very active life before all this. I built my own in ground water garden, I drove a schoolbus and took care of my 2 year old grandaughter full time. Now I do nothing and my own mother thinks she should push me around in a wheelchair in department stores because I really can't walk vey well.
Grannygood

cholesterol numbers and drugs

Postby mcharris » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:18 am

I have read each message in this forum and can empathise and sympathise with each author

May I ask why everyone here feels the need to lower their cholesterol..... other than the fact their doctor told them to! I have been one of these people also and have paid a similar price to you all. Body pain and brain dysfunction - which I am still dealing with.

May I suggest you get a cup of coffee/tea and sit and read thru this infomative web site......

I am off statins..... I am off policosanol...... I still take Q10 but I am learning about my body and reactions and sickness and healing

I wish all of a you a speedy recovery from the illness caused by statin and cholesterol lowering medications.
ww.cholesterol-and-health.com/

cheer's from Clare in Tasmania
mcharris

Postby prof » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:58 pm

Brief response to Clare's good post.

Most people here have read through a lot of the material here, as well as work by many of the "cholesterol skeptics." They make a compelling case.

Needless to say, we have also heard about the variety of risks that are at least _correlated_ with high LDL, whatever one's theory about causation.

I believe the most honest response to where we are now is to admit that we genuinely don't have the data or the causal theory yet to make definitive statements one way or other. Have the statins and cholesterol "stories" been oversold? Of course, they have. Are the studies we really need not funded? Absolutely, they are not. But do we know _for certain_ there is nothing to the prevailing practice and guidelines (not withstanding company ties, conflicts of interest, etc. etc.)--especially for people with other high risk factors and who have heart disease? I don't think we are there yet.

prof
prof

for Proff

Postby mcharris » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:58 pm

thanks for writing and replying to my brief post.

Yes I guess I can be counted amongst the Cholesterol Skeptics BUT this did not happen until I had done so much reading I was almost google eyed!

I want to pass along some other links which you may have seen - may not have seen. We all need to keep on top of this situation.... it is our bodies and our health that is at risk... especially if we hand it over the the so called professionals to manage.

I would be happy to continue this conversation off list if you felt it appropraite.

Clare in Tasmania
Cheer's

look these up when you have time and inclination (they are but a part of the tip of the iceberg)

ww.jsonline.com/alive/news/mar04/217976.asp

ww.medicalconsumers.org/pages/cholesterol_skeptics.html

medicine.ucsd.edu/SES/adverse_effects.htm

ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11282173&query_hl=11

ww.nps.org.au/resources/content/factsheet_statins_and_memory_loss.pdf

ww.statinalert.org/mainpage.html

ww.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html

Can all these independent researchers be wrong?
mcharris

Reply for Clare

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:53 pm

Hi Clare,

Thank you for the links. Most I'm familiar with but the one that really struck a chord is "NPS - Statins and Memory Loss":

And this paragraph in particular...

Reports of statins and amnesia or memory loss in Australia

The Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting Committee of the Therapeutic Goods Administration provide helpful information on reports that have been received in Australia. These are the result of voluntary reporting so do not tell us how often a side effect occurs nor if the adverse effect was caused by the drug or occurred as the result of an unrelated factor. The reports do act as a useful signal to suggest that memory loss can occur in a very small proportion of people taking statins.

My Comments:
#1 - Reporting is "voluntary"
I see this as the main problem; Not only in Australia, but also in the USA.
It should be mandatory to report ALL side effects to the proper authorities and in a structured way that is meaningful.

Below is a fictional but very typical scenario of someone that experiences statin side effects and how it never gets reported ANYWHERE.

I took Lopid (gemfibrozil) but it did not lower my LDL, so my doctor prescribed Lipitor. After a month or so, I started to notice that my muscles and joints ached. I had trouble getting out of bed in the morning. My doctor did a CPK test, but it was normal. My doctor assured me that Lipitor was not the cause, to continue taking it. My doctor was very pleased that my LDL dropped 40 points.

The muscle pain continued to get worse so I decided on my own to stop Lipitor. Within a week I started to feel better. Several months went by and I was due to visit my doctor again. The doctor ordered blood tests and my cholesterol was high again, especially my LDL. The doctor was upset I quit Lipitor, but since I was feeling better (muscle pain was completely gone) the doctor somewhat agreed that Lipitor MIGHT have been the cause, but it was imperative that I take something to lower my LDL. The doctor prescribed Pravachol.

Within the first couple of weeks on Pravachol, the muscle pain returned, but even more severe this time. I also noticed I was forgetting where I put things. I never had this trouble before. I called the doctor, he again tested my CPK and it came back normal. The doctor said to continue Pravachol but I was really getting tired of the pain so stopped taking Pravachol.

Now, I could continue this scenario with a few more statins, because many are prescribed three or four statins, before they finally say, "Enough is enough!" This same scenario is repeated again and again.

The doctor denies that statins are the cause and does not report side effects and negative CPK backs up the doctor's assessment. The patient is sure that statins were the cause, but has no proof because CPK was negative and the doctor never ordered a muscle biopsy (so there really is no proof). The patient is so happy to be free of pain, that side effect have faded from memory (if they are one of the lucky ones). Most patients don't even realize they can report side effects to the proper authorities. Sad to say that even if the patient does report adverse effects, it's considered "anecdotal" and doesn't carry much weight. One has to have documented Rhabdomyolysis or die from statins to be of any significance.

#2: Quote from paragraph
"The reports do act as a useful signal to suggest that memory loss can occur in a very small proportion of people taking statins."

I see this as the second most significant problem; that side effects occur in a "very small proportion of people taking statins".

This mantra is repeated over and over again, whether it pertains to muscle pain, muscle damage, memory loss or any other statin side effect. And this really reverts back to my first comment... that side effects are not even acknowledged much less reported.

I'll get off my soapbox but wanted to thank you for the links.

I'm still looking for more info about how Policosanol works. I pretty sure I know, but trying to find any studies that back me up.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby prof » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 am

I'm with you, Clare. I actually teach drug safety issues at a university here, and I am as skeptical as they come!

Still, the experts are "dueling." So the question is where can we find unspun info that is the most reliable. Personally, I use resources like Therapeutics Initiative in Canada, the Medical Letter in the U.S., and a variety of European surveillance systems that are less influenced by industry (or anti-industry) presumptions than many other sources.

When this all shakes out, I do believe we will be facing an undeniable mountain of statin adverses relative to anything that is acknowledged now. Something similar happened (and is still happening) with the SSRI anti-depressants. In the beginning, it was all good. Now it's anything but. Will statins survive? For some people, in some circumstances, probably, but nowhere near on the scale they enjoy now. In the meantime, industry will be hawking something else--perhaps that Restless Leg Syndrome can progress to cancer if not immediately and aggressively
treated for life.

That will keep us on our toes.

prof
prof

FRAN

Postby mcharris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:01 am

Thanks for your email / message / reply

I am in Australia as I think you already know

Arggggggg I have NOT found any Doc here yet that will acknowledge STATIN side effects.... and that seems to be no different from the ones I was under (the care of) in the USA either!

However - and this is MY OWN personal opinion - after much study and conversation........ Statins are MY worst enemy!

Not everything - but one heck of alot of my problems commenced after starting statins.......

My Immune system is 'shot to pieces'..... statins do not help

That repost you referenced out of the Australian Government..... does not seem to be common knowledge amongst Australian Cardiologists.

An example if I may:

6 months ago I was hospitalised (3rd time) with seemingly heart pains.... problems (btw I do have 2 stent in my RCA)

The resident cardiologist wanted to put me back on statins..... which I refused!

He STORMED out of the ward... informing my husband that I was attempting to KILL myself because I refused his suggested medications.

I am doing quite a considerable lot of reading and research on POLICOSANOL because I took it for over a year .... post statins.

I am OFF policosanol as of three days ago.

One or more of the 'experts' I have messaged with... inlcuding Proffessor Uffe.... keeps reminding me that we as people do not need to lower our cholesterol - by any unnatural means.... what the human body makes by way of its own cholesterol ...... the body needs.

What the human body consumes in cholesterol - via food substances.... is excreted via the normal bowel movement.

All studies seem to indicate (recent ones) that Statin theraphy DOES NOT reduce the risk of dying from a cardiovascular event).

Happy to continue this line of research with you at any time......

Thanks Again for the message.

Clare in Tassie Australia
mcharris

from Bill Sardi - new today on cholesterol

Postby mcharris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:10 am

Figured I would pass this along for your consideration

Cheer's
Clare in Tasmania Australia

“But how do I get my cholesterol down?â€
mcharris

oops I forgot to post the link

Postby mcharris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:13 am

ww.knowledgeofhealth.com/blog/kohblog.html

Clare in Tassie
mcharris

Proff - from Clare in Tassie

Postby mcharris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:26 am

You teach drug safety?

you would be familiar with this then?

Long-term testing requirement for psychiatric drugs abandoned due to Big Pharma pressure on the FDA
from todays news...................

ww.newstarget.com/015406.html

The bipolar medication lithium is so toxic that it often causes major kidney damage, yet most patients must use it for lifetime maintenance of manic-depressive disorder. Similarly, schizophrenics often spend lifetimes on neuroleptics with long-term side effects such as tardive dyskinesias, or uncontrollable movement of the face, tongue, lips and extremities.
The point here? Side effects almost always go hand-in-hand with taking a medication for a long duration in order to treat a chronic condition. With that in mind, it seems outrageous that on Oct. 25, 2005, a panel voted to defeat the FDA's proposal to extend pre-approval testing of psychiatric drugs from two short-term studies to six-month trials. In layman's terms, psychiatric drugs will not be tested for a long enough time to determine their safety for long-term use before they are approved. Now, they can be tested for as little as two weeks, then given the stamp of safety approval by the FDA after which they will be used for years, if not decades, on unsuspecting patients.

In a Sept. 26 memo, Dr. Thomas P. Laughren, acting director of the FDA's Division of Psychiatry Products, gave solid reasons for the FDA's desire to extend its required testing time. In fact, he begins the memo with a simple fact that makes the need for long-term testing clear: "Most psychiatric illnesses are chronic." He later goes on to explain that current short-term testing methods advocate stopping treatment of subjects who are responding to the drug after only a few weeks, something that would be considered "ethically questionable" in actual clinical treatment. In other words, real-world patients with mental disorders may have to stay on these drugs for months, years, decades and possibly even a lifetime, so why should clinical testing be limited to the short term?

The current short-term tests also present a problem for psychiatrists who are prescribing a newly-approved drug. As Dr. Laughren explains, "Since most treatment guidelines for chronic psychiatric illnesses recommend continuing patients for four to six months or longer after response during short-term treatment, clinicians have generally not had a sufficient evidence base (from pre-approval studies) to support what is the standard practice of drug treatment of psychiatric illnesses."

When a psychiatric drug first hits the market, prescribing physicians are largely left in the dark about treatment issues after a patient stays on the medication longer than the six to 12 weeks tested during approval trials. Yes, the FDA generally asks for longer-term studies to be completed after approval, but it can be years before this is done. During this time patients are put at risk for side effects that did not emerge in the short pre-approval studies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FDA Exposed: An Interview With Dr. David Graham, the Vioxx Whistleblower

How Big Pharma overrules the FDA
Though Dr. Laughren rightly petitioned for testing standards to change, Big Pharma once again flexed its muscles and defeated the FDA's acting director and other supporters of longer safety testing requirements. Pharmaceutical industry executives from Merck, Wyeth and Eli Lilly gathered with academic researchers and presented the 11-member Psychopharmacological Drugs Advisory Committee with 15 presentations, all against extending the duration of pre-approval trials to six months.
Their argument? According to Eli Lilly's David Michelson, executive director for neuroscience medical research, half of all patients switch psychiatric medications after three months of treatment, with the figure reaching as high as 70 percent after six months. According to this logic, conducting six-month pre-approval tests will not benefit enough psychiatric patients to warrant the policy change. In other words, Big Pharma is saying we should ignore the potential health risks posed to psychiatric patients who take these drugs on a long-term basis because they don't make up a large consumer group. This perspective is alarming in itself, but given the scandals surrounding Vioxx and other prescription drugs, it comes as no surprise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures book review
The facts are clear: Mental illness is presently an epidemic in modern society, a result of our chronic malnutrition and ingestion of metabolic disruptors (ingredients that disrupt normal brain function, such as refined sugars, trans fatty acids, chemical sweeteners, artificial colors, etc.). According to statistics from the National Institute of Mental Health, about one in five American adults suffer from a diagnosable mental illness.
To make matters worse, our population's desire for "magic pill" solutions has made us look to chemical cures for nutritionally- and environmentally-based problems. Because of this trend, drugs that we don't fully understand are being prescribed to an ever-increasing percentage of our population. The long-term effects of this could be disastrous.

In this case, the FDA tried to take a positive step in protecting the public, but failed under the pressure from Big Pharma. It's now up to concerned consumers like you to make your voice heard. Tell the FDA that you want psychiatric medication adequately tested, no matter what Big Pharma says.

Works cited:

FDA Advisory Committee. "Committee Information: Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee." 2005. fdaadvisorycommittee.com

FDA accused of suppressing drug safety information (commentary)
Laughren, Thomas P., M.D. "Memorandum to Members, PDAC." 26 Sept. 2005. ww.fda.gov
National Institute of Mental Health. "Statistics." 15 Sept. 2005. ww.nimh.nih.gov

Vedantam, Shankar. "U.S. Alters Test Policy on Psychiatric Drugs." Washington Post. 26 Oct. 2005. ww.washingtonpost.com

ww.newstarget.com/015406.html

and we can TRUST THE FDA? hummmmm or in Australia the TGA?
mcharris

last one for tonight I promise Proff / Fran

Postby mcharris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:31 am

ww.newstarget.com/012467.html

this is worth a read

Cheer's Clare in Tassie
mcharris

Postby prof » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:49 am

Hi Clare--There is a very interesting summary of statins and neuropathy reports in Australia at:

ww.tga.gov.au/adr/aadrb/aadr0504.htm#1

It's brief, but one of the few things I've seen that breaks down the results by individual statins. (Of course, overall numbers are small for lesser-used ones and may not have statistical significance.)

Another interesting finding is that these injuries could occur after a single dose! In almost all studies I've seen _on neuropathy_, the suggestion is that long-term use is presumed to be required.

prof
prof

Re: last one for tonight I promise Proff / Fran

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:51 pm

Re: News Target
Mike Adams on "FDA accused of suppressing drug safety information (commentary)"
ww.newstarget.com/012467.html

EVERYONE should read this article. It's shocking (not to me anymore) that the FDA is so corrupt. Absolutely shameful and irresponsible.

Thanks Clare,
Fran
sos_group_owner

FRAN: re the Mike Adams article

Postby mcharris » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:40 am

I was wondering
IF EVERYONE in the USA (on this list)
felt as shock and abhorred as you and I do
then shouldn't we send this entire article to our Senator/congressperson for their consideration?

We have done this today................

just a thought

Clare In Tasmania Australia
mcharris

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs