ZOCOR- MULTIPLE ORGAN FAILURE.

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

ZOCOR- MULTIPLE ORGAN FAILURE.

Postby chillywillow » Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 pm

4 weeks ago my 53 year old husband was diagnoised with heart disease, and had a heart catherization which revealed 2 main arteries in his groin were 90+ percent blocked. he was put on zocor for his high colestorol, He then had 2 stents put in, 4 days later he was put on a resperator and life flighted for multiple organ failure. He was put in the ccu unit, because his liver, kidneys, and lungs were in shutdown, he also had a heart attack via being life flighted. the doctors ran every test they could think of and came up with zocor as the cause, they said it didnt usually hit that fast, but they think that because he had dye shot into him prior to his stenting that it excellerated the effects of the zocor. we were not told that zocor can cause liver failure, nor were we told that the dye they shot into him can cause liver failure also, so the 2 of them were a deadly combo for my husband. he survived his organ failure, but he has been left with memory loss, a numb right hand, total body muscle spasms while sleeping, and severe muscle breakdown. His symtoms while taking the zocor were severe neck and shoulder pain, orange urine, sleepyness all the time, (almost a doped up feeling) diarreah, i almost lost my husband because of this drug, and in a way i did as he is not the same person since his organ failure. all the tests the doctors ran on my husband had what the doctors called astounding numbers, they said he had all the readings of a man that had just died.
chillywillow

Response to chilly willow

Postby spacedoc » Mon May 22, 2006 10:33 am

I suspect this overwhelming effect from such a short time on Zocor was due to heart muscle failure secondary to CoQ10 deficiency and aided no doubt by his "heart attack" during helicopter transportation. The combined effect of congestive heart failure and generalized energy loss at the tissue level from CoQ10 deficiency would have been more than enough to cause multiple organ failure. Spacedoc
spacedoc

multiple organ failure

Postby chillywillow » Mon May 22, 2006 8:12 pm

well, i did talk quite a bit with the 5 doctors that aided my husband in the ccu unit and they assured me that his organ failure was not caused by the problems with his heart, so who do i believe?
chillywillow

i just thought of something.

Postby chillywillow » Mon May 22, 2006 8:57 pm

maybe you are right, when his family doctor got his test results from the hospital, he said my husband had extensive muscle damage, could that zocor have damaged his heart muscles to put him into organ failure faster?
chillywillow

Reply for "chillywillow"

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue May 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi chillywillow,

As Dr Graveline said, the most likely cause of an immediate reaction to a statin drug is "CoQ10 deficiency". Most doctors are totally ignorant to the fact that statins cause CoQ10 deficiency, so they probably didn't even test for that. Our body does manufacture CoQ10, but that process declines as we age. Couple that with a statin drug and the end result can be devastating.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs