37 year old male on Zocor (previously, Mevacor) 14+ years

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

37 year old male on Zocor (previously, Mevacor) 14+ years

Postby cheesemonkeyboy » Mon May 01, 2006 5:16 am

I am a 37 year old male that has inherited high cholesterol. At age 14 my total cholesterol was 440. Took Questran for many years. Started Mevacor and took Mevacor for several years. Switched to Zocor at the suggestion of my doctor and have taken Zocor for probably 10 years straight. I have never had muscle problems, memory problems, bad liver problems (ALT levels have been slightly elevated at times, but nothing really off the chart), or any other side effect as far as I know = much different from many posts here.

I am currently researching and experimenting with my cholesterol problem. I have been off Zocor for 4 months now. Prior to going off Zocor (I have always taken the maximum dosage = 80mg [40mg twice daily]), my total cholesterol was 224. After being off Zocor for 3 months, my total cholesterol was 469. Yes, I typed it correctly = 469!

Just thought I'd post this information for others to muse over...
cheesemonkeyboy

Longevity and hypercholesterolemia:

Postby catamaran » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:56 pm

:? Statiistics show that people affected by "high" cholesterol, 800- 1200mg/dl, familial hypercholesterolemia, live longer and are healthier than their counterparts with "normal" cholesterol levels.

All the fuss about controlling your cholestrol levels is essentially meaningless since cholesterol carried about within lipids in the blood has no significant effect on atherosclerosis, this according to Dr. Thomas Levy, board certified cardiologist, in his latest book, "Stopping American's #1 Killer".

Dr. Levy points out, with mountains of supporting clinical evidence, that any component circulating in the blood can exacerbate atherosclerosis when the system has been suffering from chronic ascorbate deficiency which leaves the artery walls in a weakened, permeable condition.

Based upon the information in books by Dr. Levy, "Cholesterol Myths" by Dr. Uffe Ravnskov, the research by Drs. Hickey and Roberts, research by Dr. Sydney Bush, Dr. Cathcart, Dr. Klenner, Dr. Pauling, Dr. Rath and others I would forget about cholesterol and focus on getting lots of vitamin C into your system.

Go here to start your research: [http://www.vitamincfoundation.org]

To your health, C.
catamaran

Postby Darrell » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:19 am

Where can I find those statistics about those with familial hypercholesterolemia who "live longer and are healthier", catamaran? I have a brother-in-law with familial hypercholesterolemia and quite a few in his family have dropped dead as young adults.
Darrell

Study:

Postby catamaran » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:09 pm

A can't find that study to provide a link to it, so I will need to retract that reference in my post. I know the study is out there somewhere and it was done by a reliable agency. When I find it I will post it. :?
catamaran

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:48 pm

Hi Darrell,

Re: Where can I find those statistics about those with familial hypercholesterolemia who "live longer and are healthier", catamaran?

"The Benefits of High Cholesterol" By Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD

People with high cholesterol live the longest...
[http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/benefits_cholest.html]

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Darrell » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:17 pm

Thanks! Fascinating article!

I'm not sure, though, that it supports the assertion that those with familial hypercholesterolemia tend to live longer. It says they may have better resistance to infections. It also says that people with high cholesterol tend to do better than people with low cholesterol, but that's a broad group of people and is not specific to those with familial hypercholesterolemia. My brother-in-law's family may be less infection-prone, but they do have a tendency to drop dead from heart failure at middle age and younger.
Darrell

Familial Hypercholesterolemia:

Postby catamaran » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:06 pm

:!: Thanks, Fran....that saved a lot of time for me.

A bit of research on FH shows it to be a serious condition that does cause accelerated atherogenesis in those afflicted compared to the "normal" population; however, the predisposition in the total population to the onset and progression of atherosclerosis is directly related to chronic serum ascorbate deficiency.

Healthy blood vessels are dependent upon a rich and continuous supply of ascorbate; a chronic deficiency leaves the vessels weak and flabby and prone to breakdown. Any breakdown increases the permeability of the vessel wall and allows infiltration into the intima and media by factors in the blood. A high concentration of factors such as that associated with FH increases the probability and rate of infiltration. If the vessel walls are healthy with a firm, stable, impermeable basement membrane in the intima supporting a uniform, closely fitted layer of epithelial cells in the endothelium, then infiltration by blood factors is at least greatly minimized or prevented.

The upshot of all this is: If the arteries are healthy, blood factors of almost any concentration are not a significant element in atherogenesis.

Ref: Dr. T. Levy, "Stop America's #1 Killer"
catamaran

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Isn't the problem with FH, not that high levels of cholesterol are produced, but that a genetic failing results in inability to dispose of LDL cholesterol, which accumulates in various parts of the body, and can often be seen in the whites of the eyes, or as a white ring on the pupil. It is not clear how to deal with this, reducing homocysteine might help to prevent excess LDL being produced, but who knows?

I thought I saw a mention of a new drug specifically aimed at FH a few days ago.

Ray
Ray Holder

Reply for Ray & Darrell re: FH

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:44 am

Hi Ray & Darrell,

You might find the discussion at this link very interesting:
[http://www.thincs.org/discuss.aug02.htm]

Topic is 'Mainly about the iron hypothesis, about vitamin C, and about high-protein diet and calcium', but about 1/3rd the way down, they discuss 'familial hypercholesterolemia'.

Dr Graveline comments on FH at this link:
http://www.spacedoc.net/short_term_memory_loss.html

"Even in cases of familial hypercholesterolemia our cholesterol levels are preordained. Many vital functions including neuronal signaling are highly dependent upon these natural levels of cholesterol."

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs