Statin Drug Destruction

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statin Drug Destruction

Postby NurseJudy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:08 am

I have a great Dad, whom I love dearly. This is what the statin drugs did for him:

He was started on statins some time prior to 1994. (No records.) At the time of his participation in the UCSD Statin Study he had been on statins for about 10 years.

He was experiencing the following:
His whole body was aching
Leg cramps at night.
Muscle weakness and fatigue.
Headache
GI problems (reflux)
Attention/ concentration problems
Memory problems
Changes in sleep patterns
Fatigue and lack of energy
Dizziness
Loss of Libido - function
Gained and lost 20 #
Shortness of breath when climbing steps or on exertion
Eyes crusting at night
Hair loss
Infrequent mouth ulcers
Tremors -especially when carrying something
Coordination problems - stumbling, falling, losing balance
Sweats
Peripheral neuropathy both feet
He was also complaining of constant chest pain, for which nothing was detected in ER visits
He has had ever increasing urinary retention, frequency, and urgency. He must cath himself 4-6 times a day
In the 10 years his overall health rating and physical activity dropped in half
His thoughts seemed stuck and he couldn't get them out. He would say, "My memory".
All of the above are listed as related to statin side effects by UCSD.

He had gone to his doctor and told him he was sick of taking so many pills. He told the doctor that his daughter, who was a nurse, thought that the statins could be causing his muscle pain and weakness. The Dr. said, "Who are you going to listen to? Your daughter or your doctor?" He threatened to cancel my Dad's insurance (which was a violation of patient's rights to do) if he did not take the drug.

His memory has improved since stopping the statin drugs. He also seems happier and more emotionally and mentally present. In addition, the constant chest pain has stopped.

I am praying for an improvement in the health of a great Dad. Yes, they lowered his cholesterol, but he was robbed of the quality of his life.

Judy Johnston RN, BSN
NurseJudy

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs