Required Cholesterol Levels

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Required Cholesterol Levels

Postby Racerman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:58 am

I too am suspicious of these drugs. As a background, I am 54 and extremely healthy and strong. I am married and enjoy the outdoors and my wife and I have a very healthy sex life. Two months ago I was tested to have an LDL level of 211 (HDL was 42, normal). I was prescribed Zetia 10mg and after doing some online research did not take it because I have had Hepatitis B in 1978.

I did not tell the Dr. on a recent visit that I had not taken the medicine and my LDL levels were now tested at 178 (brought down through improved diet and exercise) . He then insisted I needed to be below 100 LDL and prescribed Vytorin 10/40, of which I have taken one dose last night and then today found your website.

I had asked the young Dr. if different people require different levels of cholesterol. He said emphatically NO. I have my doubts. My family has no history (mom's side or fathers side) of arterial disease or heart disease. My Dad died at the age of 87 of natural causes (he was on a feeding tube for 12 years due to deterioration of throat muscles from cancer treatment) and my mom is 89 and going strong with no cholesterol problems. I have had a recent heart test and it was perfect. I have never had angina or any other heart problem symptoms.

My question is this, what were your LDL levels when you were prescribed Lipitor? Is 178 maybe safe for me and my metabolism.
Thanks so much for your attention.

I am a researcher in a different field and know the hours needed to develop this kind of information. Thank you for this undertaking. It was inspired I am sure and I know what that feels like. You are driven but very happy to be doing it knowing the benefits to mankind. Your message might well save many from some very harmful effects of these drugs.
Racerman

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs