Could statins mask other things?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Could statins mask other things?

Postby Doug » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:41 am

Could statins Unmasked other illnesses? I know that this is not common but is it possible? I wrote about this and it was:

I took Lipitor for 5 years and now have a strange nerve illness. I have looked for a diagnosis but have not found one over the past few years.

I have a genetic test coming back in a few weeks. They are now looking for a genetic flaw.

I think that statins can act as a trigger for some. I wrote about this and it was:

Subject: Could statins be a trigger for some sufferers?

I am not a doctor or a researcher, just a statin sufferer. But it seems as if statins are more dangerous than many believe because they have side effects that vary greatly. It doesn’t appear that there is only one set of side effects. Every sufferer seems to have his/her own set.

Could statins be a trigger for a variety of other illnesses? Diseases like Parkinson’s, Guillain-Barre Syndrome and Multiple Sclerosis seem to be brought on in some statin sufferers, or maybe it could be a combination of these neuro-muscular disorders for some?

I think I have cerebellar ataxia brought on by statins, i.e. balance and incoordination problems due to damage of the cerebellum (in the brain) by statins. At least C.A. has the symptoms that most closely match mine. However, not all sufferers have the same symptoms I have.

[list][/list]
Doug

Postby SusieO » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:26 am

I am being tested to see if I have MS and believe all my problems come from taking Lipitor for almost three years (quit taking it 10/2004). Many symptoms that I have are the same as those of MS, yet I truly believe my damage is from the Lipitor.
SusieO

ms is bad, but I am wondering what started it

Postby Doug » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:04 pm

I think many different things can start from statins. Once another thing starts then you have to deal with that illness. Its kind of strange that one who has simple statin damage might be better off than someone else.

For me it is OPCA. This is a rare illness that is fatal in the long run.[/list]
Doug

Postby carbuff » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:54 pm

My mom's symptoms are like ALS....The doctors seem to think this is what she has. After reading about the side effects from these Statins...I'm not so convinced.
carbuff

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs