Statin Adverse Effects

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statin Adverse Effects

Postby queenphoton » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:37 pm

Hi all, I'm a new user of this forum. I maybe repeating questions, so please forgive.
My mother, who is currently 79yrs. was given Lipitor 3yrs ago. Her cholesterol was 279 LDL and HDL levels were close to normal.
Well, in the 3yrs of using Lipitor she had experienced all the normal aches and pains of a 79yr lady. She had prior knee and 2 hip replacements.
Then we started noticing that she was getting confused and memory loss was great. Her ability to walk was just going down hill. She was getting so upset and confused that we didn't know what to do. My father went and spoke to her Dr. He then placed her on Aricept and Namenda for Dementia. Was this the problem or Lipitor?
Last Friday, my mother got so bad that she couldn't leave the bed and had no idea as to what was going on. I rushed her to the hospital and she couldn't even hold herself up. He legs, knees, hips and everything was in such pain. Her Dr. then took her off of Lipitor.
I went to the Dr. with her on Friday, it was a shouting match between myself and the Dr. and he states that there is no way that Lipitor cuased any of the memory problems or confusion. I disagree.
My question, why aren't people aware of these problems? I know the "SpaceDoc" has had this issue. How many others have had this problem and what is being done to let people be aware?
queenphoton

Reply for "queenphoton"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:49 am

Hi QP,

That's the main problem... nothing is being done in the medical
community when someone experiences cognitive decline from
statins. Doctors INSIST statins do not cause memory loss.
They are wrong.

This was our experience EXCEPT when the neurologist said he
wanted my husband to take Aricept... I said NO WAY. My husband
had an MRI of the brain (normal) and PET scan (normal). PET is
supposed to be the most accurate test for any sign of Alzheimer's.
The neuropsychologist's test on the other hand placed my husband's
memory is the 9th percentile.

I flat out told both the neurologist and the neuropsychologist that
short term memory loss (and a host of other side effects) were from
5 years of Lipitor and especially after the dose was increased from
10 mg to 20 mg. It basically fell on deaf ears and that's the norm
today.

My husband stopped statins over 2 years ago. His memory is
improving slowly. While taking statins he had several bouts of
TGA, but now it's just minor short term memory loss.

I've corresponded with Dr Graveline many times and he says that
cognitive side effects take the longest recovery and to take as much
CoQ10 as you can afford. Dose as high as 1,200 to 1,500 mg might
be necessary for memory recovery.

Hubby is currently taking 600 mg (split dose) daily in addition
to a high potency multi and Dr Graveline's "Statin Alternative"
recommendations.
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Important note: take CoQ10 in gel form (not powdered) and with
some vitamin E (to metabolize properly).

Fran
sos_group_owner

thanks

Postby queenphoton » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:44 am

Fran,
Thanks so much for your reply. I did go and buy some CoQ10 and I'll have her start it today.
Her muscle aches are slowly getting better. But the memory loss and fatigue is still there.
She has severe Fatigue in which all she wants to do is sleep or lay in bed.
Will the CoQ10 help that also.
Mary Ann
queenphoton

Reply for Mary Ann

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:08 am

Hi Mary Ann,

Has your Mom has stopped all meds (Lipitor, Aricept, Namenda)?

Just Namenda alone has some nasty side effects:
ww.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/nam1682.shtml
Confusion, constipation, coughing, dizziness, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure, pain, sleepiness, vomiting

And Aricept:
ww.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/ari1027.shtml
Side effects are more likely with higher doses. The most common are diarrhea, fatigue, insomnia, loss of appetite, muscle cramps, nausea, and vomiting. When one of these effects occurs, it is usually mild and gets better as treatment continues.
* Other side effects may include:
Abnormal dreams, arthritis, bruising, depression, dizziness, fainting, frequent urination, headache, pain, sleepiness, weight loss

Finally... Lipitor:
ww.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/lip1230.shtml
Side effects may include:
Abdominal pain, abnormal heartbeat, accidental injury, allergic reaction, arthritis, back pain, bronchitis, chest pain, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, flu symptoms, fluid retention, gas, headache, indigestion, infection, inflammation of sinus and nasal passages, insomnia, joint pain, muscle aching or weakness, nausea, rash, stomach pain, urinary tract infection, weakness

BUT... Lipitor side effects go way beyond the list above. You'll notice there is no mention of "memory loss" and PDR Health is usually very comprehensive.

It's no wonder that your Mom is fatigued and confused. It really ticks me off that doctors over-medicate our elderly. I have to keep close tabs on my M-I-L... she turned 80 last year and her doctor keeps badgering her to lower her cholesterol. Everyone wants to "please" their doctor and keeps succumbing to their doctor's wishes.

The main problem is that cholesterol is really not the problem. Inflammation is the problem, but how many doctors are testing homocysteine, Lp(a) - Lipoprotein (a) and CRP (C-Reactive Protein)?

Memory loss recovery can take quite awhile. The statin dose, duration, if the dose was increased and if the patient was switched from one statin to another... all of these factors affect recovery.

CoQ10 does work for many... the dose is very individual. Your Mom is trying to recover from 3 years of Lipitor and CoQ10 deficiency. Dr Graveline does say that some may not fully recover from muscle damage and cognitive decline.

I truly understand how frustrating this is Mary Ann. Trying to get my husband back to a healthy state over the past 2 years has taken lots of research and absolutely no support from any of our doctors. Dr Graveline's advice is our lifeline right now. Read ever article he's written on the subject of statins.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby maggiep » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi Fran,

I have been reading these post for several months now. I particularly like your answers and what you have to say. I too have a husband who has been going through this cognitive, memory loss, confusion...you name it. My daughter and I started noticing his memory loss after he was put on Lipitor. He has never had to take a daily regimen of medications in his life. Lipitor 10mg was the first prescription he has ever had to take. Well, needless to say thats when all his problems started. My husband was only 58 yrs old. He held a civil service position and loved doing his job and working with the many people he was associated with. He was a helicopter electrical inspector. After he started taking Lipitor our whole lives changed. He could no longer function on the job. He was experiencing confusion, memory loss, and could not do the many things he once loved doing such as wood working projects. He just simply forgot how to do it. He was seen one morning going to work by our cousin who lived down the street from us stopped in his truck looking very confused. When our cousin asked if he was alright he said he had forgotten how to get to work. I don't know how long he was in this state of forgetfullnes, but I did not find out about it until several months later. I had taken him to the doctor and normally he goes for checkups without me. But this time I was determined to talk with the doctor and tell him what I have been noticing. He naturally did the in office memory loss test. My husband showed that he had a short term memory loss. He was sent to a Neurologist and again the same test was performed. The doctor said, he did not have Alzheimers, but yet he was put on medications for it. As the months progressed he became worse until he started developing this pain in his side. We thought he was having kidney stones again. He's had two surgeries from stones. (this has been some time ago). I took him to the emergency room twice within a couple of months. They could not find anything wrong. He was sent to a Urologist. Still test showed nothing. Finally the pain was so bad he had to take sick leave and his memory problems were becoming worse. He got where he could not longer drive around town. He got lost trying to pay a bill. Something he has done so many times. His speech was becoming worse. He could not express himself. finding the right words to say. I never would have thought Lipitor would have been the problem. We just thought it was Dementia/Alzheimers. I went through so much stress and my emotions were unreal because all of this happened within a years time. Finally he had to retire from his job of 34 years. Something he was not ready to do. Our whole lives changed because I believed it was Alzheimers. I had to prepare myself for the outcome of this disease. Thinking of myself and the support I would need, we sold our house of 33 yrs and moved out of state so I could be near my family.

After visiting with his new Neurologist here...she also said he did not have the classic symptoms of someone with Alzheimers. But yet he is still on Aricept and Namenda.

One day visiting my brother a friend of his was talking about Lipitor and heard it caused memory loss. Well, I started to do some research myself and came across this site. I couldn't believe what I read and took my husband to his doctor and told him I was taking him off of Lipitor. I was ready for a knock down dragged out fight, but he didn't question it. I put him on Fish Oil caplets, he was already on B12 and folic acid. I started giving him COQ10 150mg. I have seen a significant change him him since he's been off of it. He isn't as depressed and is more social around people. He seems to be more alert and is aware of things around him. His cholestrol still remains somewhat high, but I refuse to put him back on Lipitor or any cholestrol medications that have statin in them. My cholestrol was even elevated and my doctor wanted to put me on Lipitor and flat out told him, I will NOT take it so you better find me another alternative. I told him I will get my cholestrol down myself through diet and exercise. It went down from 220 to 203. I'll take that anytime!!!

As far as my husband...I'm praying and hoping that he continues to improve. I know it will take time and a slow process. It is like he has had all memory wiped away and has to learn to do things all over again. He sees his Neurologist next month for a check up and you can bet we will be discussing this Lipitor delimma.

I am so sorry this is so long. I have already contacted Dr. Graveline on this, but this is the first time I've posted here. Thanks for letting me vent and getting this out.

MaggieP
maggiep

Reply for Maggie

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:31 am

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for the compliment. My research has been ongoing for the past couple of years. There was almost no info then. Dr Graveline's 1st book, "Lipitor - Thief of Memory" is where we made the connection between Lipitor and memory loss.

Now that hundreds of thousands of people all over the world are taking statins and some for several years, the ugly sides of statins are starting to surface all over.

I don't know how much longer doctors are going to insist that statins are not causing Alzheimer's and Parkinson's type symptoms and a very long list of equally nasty side effects.

Your story brought tears to my eyes. There is not enough money in the world to compensate for the injustice done to your family.

The drug companies that mfgr statins should hang their heads in shame.

Feel free to vent anytime.

Fran
sos_group_owner

cognitive side effects wtih statins

Postby eml256 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:30 pm

the following is a case report of 2 individuals who experienced cognitive problems on statins--and it was published in a reputable journal--you could copy and take to your physicians:(you are able to access the entire article)

ww.medscape.com/viewarticle/465883

Cognitive Impairment Associated With Atorvastatin and Simvastatin
Posted 01/22/2004

Deborah S. King, Pharm.D.; Amanda J. Wilburn, Pharm.D.; Marion R. Wofford, M.D., M.P.H.; T. Kristopher Harrell, Pharm.D.; Brent J. Lindley, Pharm.D.; Daniel W. Jones, M.D.

Abstract
Clinical guidelines for cholesterol testing and management have been updated recently. With the evolving recognition of benefits and intensified recommendations for cholesterol management, many more patients will require cholesterol-lowering drugs. All the statins share similar adverse-effect profiles, with a low overall frequency of undesirable effects. Emerging data associate statins with a decreased risk of Alzheimer's disease; however, we report two women who experienced significant cognitive impairment temporally related to statin therapy. One woman took atorvastatin, and the other first took atorvastatin, then was rechallenged with simvastatin. Clinicians should be aware of cognitive impairment and dementia as potential adverse effects associated with statin therapy.

Introduction
From cholesterol lowering to blood pressure reduction, the seemingly endless benefits attributed to statins have significantly increased the use of this class of drugs over the past few years. Clinical trials clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of statins in primary and secondary prevention of coronary artery disease. Other uses of statins are emerging, such as for reduction of recurrent events after acute coronary syndrome and as part of immunosuppression therapy after organ transplantation. As a result of the new recognition of benefits and intensified recommendations for cholesterol management, many more patients will require cholesterol-modifying drugs.

Though cognitive impairment is a rare adverse effect, clinicians must be able to recognize the potential association between this effect and statin therapy. We describe two patients who shared a similar presentation of cognitive impairment and discuss one patient reported previously.[1] Both of our patients showed decreased cognition that was slow in onset, with progressively worsening symptoms temporally related to statin therapy. In both patients, the cognitive impairment completely resolved within 1 month after statin discontinuation.
eml256

Postby Brigand » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:21 pm

Fran

You say that it is important to take Q10 in gel form and "some vitamin E". Could you expand on that please - why it is important and how much vit E. I am also confused about dosages of Q10. I have started on what I thought was a high dose - 120mg daily, but from this forum I get the impression that is insufficient, especially as I probably have to keep taking statins, having inherited familial hypercholesterolemia from both parents.
Brigand

Reply for Brigand

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:46 am

Hello Brigand,

CoQ10 is also available "powdered" in a capsule, but liquid in a gelcap is
metabolized better (you get better benefit). Some CoQ10 gelcaps contain
a small amount of vitamin E. If the gelcap is just CoQ10, take with your
fattiest meal or some vitamin E (doesn't have to be a huge amount).

A minimum of 150 mg of CoQ10 is the recommended amount.
See "Statin Alternatives":
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Re: especially as I probably have to keep taking statins, having inherited
familial hypercholesterolemia from both parents.

Are your parents also taking statins?
Are they otherwise healthy?

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Brigand » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:02 pm

Fran
Thank you for that. Very helpful. As for my parents, my father died suddenly of a heart attack at 55 and my mother at 76 after many years of heart trouble. I had my first heart attack at 36, another a year later and a third at 43, two years after a bypass. Since then I have been unable to work due to chronic fatigue, which I have managed fairly well with lots of rest, and although not able to work I had a reasonable standard of life. But in the last year or 2 it has grown much worse, I have muscular pains in my back and what seems to be sciatica in my right leg. I have had to give up driving through that and holidays are no longer possible. My legs are very weak and I can only walk a few hundred yards. I thought this was all due to a deterioration in my heart condition, but am now thinking some of it my be statin based. So you can see I am anxious to gain some relief, but mindful that it is probably the statins which have kept me going all these last 20 years without another attack (I shall be 65 in October). Having said all that, my condition is nowhere near as bad as some of the people on this forum, but if I can get some improvement I will be very happy. I started taking 120mg of Q10 five weeks ago, but I believe it takes a month or two to show any improvement. My legs are perhaps a little less weak, but nothing dramatic. I shall increase the dosage of that and get it in gel form and start taking vitamin E as you suggest. I shall also ask my doctor to reduce my statin dosage, as the cholesterol readings are now excellent, though not so much so with triglycerides.
When I asked my doctor about Q10 he had never heard of it, but to his credit he rang me back and said that I was correct in saying that it should be taken with statins, but he couldn't prescribe it, nor even advise me to start taking it. So I asked him "if I start taking it myself, are you going to tell me not to take it? His reponse was a firm NO. He said I might even be a trail blazer!!
Here in the UK the government is thinking of giving all adults statins purely as a preventative measure, and yet they will not allow doctors to prescribe Q10 to those who really need it. A scandal in my eyes. Thank you for your advice. BRIAN
Brigand

Q10 supplies in UK

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:52 pm

Dear Brian

I got improvement to my failing heart due to statins after only 4 days, but that might be only a fluke, and I had stopped statins 14 months before.

I get top quality Q10 in UK under the trade name Pharma Nord Bioenzyme Q10 which is a gel capsule includingv vit E, and is recommended in Dr Peter Langsjoen's definitive paper on Q10. and buy it from www.vitaminuk.co.uk who have good prices and next day service, I have worked up from 60mg a day at first to 600 a day, but I am 85 and only clinging on to life with rather expensive consignments of Q10 and carnitine. Try 200 mg daily for a start

So glad you have got a doctor who has listened, mine is very good and listens with great interest to the information which I have told him, and will probably visit this site.
Ray Holder

Reply for Brigand

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi Brian,

Re: triglycerides

High triglycerides are usually due to a high carbohydrate diet.
The "white foods", especially sugar (biggest offender), followed by
white flour, rice, bread, potato and pasta.

By cutting WAY back on these foods and adding cinnamon, my
husband reduced his triglycerides from 301 to 150 in 3 months.
Cinnamon (spice isle variety - C. cassia) is available in 500 mg
capsules. Depending on how high your triglycerides are, take one
or two capsules daily. Cinnamon also helps to control blood sugar
levels.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Brigand » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:45 am

Ray and Fran

Thanks again for your advice. Ray, I have been looking at a number of sites to provide Q10 at those strengths and have been totally confused, so I shall certainly be looking at the site you mention. Thanks.

Fran

Cinnamon eh? Well there's a turn up. I shall give it a try.

By the way I wrote to the UK government drug information service, but they are not aware of any current trials regarding statins and Q10, but they are aware of the problem and they say:

Also, the FDA has been petitioned to "CHANGE THE LABELING FOR ALL STATIN DRUGS (MEVACOR, LESCOL, PRAVACHOL, ZOCOR, LIPITOR, AND ADVICOR) RECOMMENDING USE OF 100-200mg PER DAY OF SUPPLEMENTAL CO-ENZYME QlO (INCLUDING CARDIOMYOPATHY AND CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE). TO REDUCE THE
RISK OF STATIN-INDUCED MYOPATHIES".

I bet they don't do it. Thanks both of you. BRIAN
Brigand

CoQ10 in UK

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Brian
you can give me a ring if you like, you will find me on BT web directory enquiries, I may be able to help you choose
Ray
Ray Holder

Statin Adverse Effects

Postby Brigand » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Further to my recent postings, I have been taking Q10 for about 8 weeks now, and I do believe I can feel some improvement in my muscular pains and fatigue levels. I am also taking cinnamon as Fran advised for my triglycerides. One thing I forgot to mention which may be relevant - about 3 years ago I was diagnosed as having age related type 2 diabetes, which I am managing to control pretty well through diet.
Might this have been caused through statin use too? Is it still OK to take Q10 in those circumstances? BRIAN
Brigand

Dangerous doctors

Postby JL » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:10 pm

My condolences to all of you suffering from statin side effects. Every time I read another post about another side effect, I get very angry mostly at the doctors who already know and have known for years that statin therapy is bad news. Its one thing for drug companies to make bad drugs but when doctors see the problem and keep masking it over by prescribing another drug, it really ticks me off. Anyone MD practicing polypharmacy needs to resign or be thrown in jail.
BTW, it looks like "borderline diabetes" is also a statin side effect, as my mom, who has been on 20 mgs lipitor for 4 months now, was just told by the doctor that she is "borderline diabetic." She also suffers from short term memory loss which was not prevalent before she took lipitor.
JL

Re: Statin Adverse Effects

Postby shadoww » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:30 am

[quote="Brigand"]Further to my recent postings, I have been taking Q10 for about 8 weeks now, and I do believe I can feel some improvement in my muscular pains and fatigue levels. I am also taking cinnamon as Fran advised for my triglycerides. One thing I forgot to mention which may be relevant - about 3 years ago I was diagnosed as having age related type 2 diabetes, which I am managing to control pretty well through diet.
Might this have been caused through statin use too? Is it still OK to take Q10 in those circumstances? BRIAN[/quote]

Hi Brian. I also have "borderline" diabetes controlled with glucophage or metformin. Its well controlled, usually not a problem at all unless I go crazy with my diet. I think my so called "diabetes" and statin use occured at about the same time also, but since its been several years I can't remember which came first, the "cart or the horse" so to speak. But I distincly remember it all being in the same time frame. I think this aspect of it needs to be better looked into.

I'm having some improvement, not a dramatic "before" type of improvement, I know nothing is going to bring that part back. But it is better than before. I'm taking 2 200 mg of CoQ10 in the morning and one in the evening, for a total of 600 mg a day, most days. Sometimes I cut it back to 400 depending on how I'm feeling that morning. Taking between 500 and 1000 mg of Acetyl L Carnitine also daily. The one thing I've noticed that I definately DON"T like is I can detect a subtle body odor and not sure if its from the Q10 or the Carnitine. I've read that you can get a body odor from Carnitine at doses of over 2000 mg a day but I'm not doing anything near that. So am wondering if the Q10 could have a part in that too?

I wish you continued improvement and hope you see great results soon.

~Mary~
shadoww
shadoww

Postby Brigand » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 am

Hi Mary and JL
This phrase "borderline diabetes" does keep cropping up. Those were the exact words used by my doctor when I was first diagnosed, and now my 38 year old daughter has been told exactly the same. In her case it can hardly be age onset diabetes, but she has been taking statins for a year or two now for familial hypercholesterolaemia. It makes you think.
BRIAN
Brigand

Borderline diabetes

Postby Ray Holder » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:27 am

Hi Mary, JL and Brian

I suggested in my paper that age onset diabetes could be caused by depletion of Q10 with age, as it reduces by an average of 8% every 10 years. I also have said that Q10 reduction by statins brings forward this reduction by something like 12 years for each 10% cholesterol was lowered, so it all seems to follow.

Spacedoc has put my paper on this site, it is on www.spacedoc.net/r_holder.html .The main part of the paper is about the relationship between Statins, post polio, muscle weakness etc, and the bit about diabetes is in the addendum. I can't vouch for its veracity, but the circumstances seem to fit.

Be careful to keep a close eye on your sugar level if you take Q10 to help when you have diabetes, as any improvement may cause your sugar level to fall, and need some diet alteration.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Brigand » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Ray

I have just read your article as you suggest. I was already thinking along those lines myself (the addendum) so was happy with your suggested conclusions. I will make sure that I check the blood sugar levels regularly. Thank you for your advice.
Brigand

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs