Inflammation confusion

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Inflammation confusion

Postby Pdougan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Can the doc or someone that knows explain to me the differences in inflammation? The doc says that statins are an antiinflammatory and is good for the heart. But the side effects are inflammations of the joints etc.. Anyone understand my confusion or where I can find the answer to my question?
Pdougan

Re: Inflammation confusion

Postby David Staup » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:34 pm

The statins have shown to be an anti-inflammatory for the endothelium and will increase blood flow through partial blockages by reducing swelling at the site. Thus they are good for the blood flow to the heart.

THEY ARE NOT GOOD FOR THE HEART MUSCLE CELLS...or most other muscle cells...and they often die in excessive numbers from oxidative stress because of the statins. Look at "statins and athletes".

When the body "sees" excessive cell death due to oxidative stress it sends the body's only targeted antioxidant, uric acid. The muscle tissue, where the cells are dying, and, by osmosis, the nearest joints are saturated. The joint inflammation, a form of arthritis, results from the uric acid crystals that precipitate there.

Have your serum uric acid checked and if the problem is widespread it will be low due to excessive demand.

The premise that they are "good for the heart" is marketing and a half truth at best....you should really abandon that thought.

David
David Staup

Postby Pdougan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:38 pm

I appreciate the reply because inflammation is a term that is tossed around arbitrarily and without explanation like everyone knows exactly what they are talking about. I am no doc. However, it was recommended that I use statins in an extremely reduced amount (1.5 - 2 mg/day) because of a previous heart attack to take advantage of its anti inflammatory property. That reduced dosage is not enough to effect the mevalonate pathway but is enough to assist the heart. What I still don't understand is, if aspirin is an anti inflammatory and statins are an anti inflammatory .. do they work on different areas, do you need both, etc.?
Pdougan

Postby David Staup » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:44 am

Chuckle...

Inflammation

Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory, omega 6's are inflammatory...grass fed and wild caught meats are an even balance approximately 1 to 1.... farm raised meats are as high as 30 to 1 inflammatory over inflammatory.

what causes much of endothelium inflammation is oxidized cholesterol that comes from powdered milk and powdered eggs used in processed food.

if you eat right and supplement with omega 3's no need for aspirin or statins, even considering your previous heart attack.

"Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Heart Disease":

http://www.spacedoc.com/aging_omega3

How can you not know this?

David
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs