New blood test

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

New blood test

Postby damaged » Mon May 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Well, after eight years of trying to convince doctors, they finally have empirical evidence....

**http://www.genoscientific.com/cardiovascular-genetics/satin-induced-myopathy-slc01b1-genotype

If nothing else, maybe we can convince those about to be ruined to get the bloodwork done BEFORE listening to their doctor.
damaged

Re: New blood test

Postby David Staup » Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm still not getting through using this link. I get an "unable to load file" error from the website.

I have gone to the genoscientific web site and cannot find the file "satin-induced-myopathy-slc01b1-genotype" there.

strange
David Staup

Postby Allen1 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:18 am

Hi there David, the link works in firefox ok. Here is the text borrowed from the link:-

Home »
Cardiovascular-Genetics »
Satin_Induced_Myopathy

SOLUTE CARRIER ORGANIC ANION TRANSPORTER FAMILY MEMBER 1B1 (SLCO1B1) GENOTYPE, STATIN

USEFUL FOR:

Aiding prediction of risk for statin-associated myopathy in patients beginning statin Therapy, especially simvastatin therapy
Determining a potential genetic effect related to statin intolerance in patients with statin associated myopathy, especially related to simvastatin

The science behind the Statin Induced Myopathy (SLCO1B1) Genotype

Despite their proven efficacy, studies estimate that 25—50% of patients with CVD stop taking their statin medications as directed. Many do so because of statin induced myopathy—the onset of muscle aches, spasms, and pain associated with statin therapy. This condition can be extremely unpleasant and, for some, completely debilitating.

An association has been established between statin induced myopathy and variations in the SLCO1B1 gene.
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Fri May 16, 2014 9:03 am

OK thanks Allen...

Just so everyone knows, there are many other genetic causes for statin intolerance---

•[Source] The source of this record is MEDLINE®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

• In addition to SLCO1B1, recent studies suggested that variants of genes encoding transporters (ABCG2 and ABCB1) and metabolic enzymes (CYP2C8 and UGT1A3) involved in the disposition of statins, and those involved in the metabolic muscle disease (glycogen storage disorders, carnitine palmitoyl-2 deficiency and myoadenylate deaminase deficiency) are also risk factors of statin-induced myopathy

I have a glycogen storage disorder (there are more than 10) and I am certain that it is the cause of my statin intolerance.

Last I checked with 23andme (*https://www.23andme.com/) they only tested for 2 and, from the symptoms, neither of those were likely to be what I suffer from....

What I'm trying to say is: SLCO1B1 is responsible for but a fraction of us being susceptible to statin damage and testing negative is not an indicator that it is safe for you to take statins.

David
David Staup

Postby damaged » Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 pm

"What I'm trying to say is: SLCO1B1 is responsible for but a fraction of us being susceptible to statin damage and testing negative is not an indicator that it is safe for you to take statins."
David

Wow.
Well, thank you very much for the additional info. I had already discussed the test with 2 or 3 friends that are currently being pressured to start statin therapy by their doctors. It seems that at any given time someone that I care about is being pressured.
Thanks again,
Mike
damaged

Postby David Staup » Sat May 17, 2014 6:35 am

You're welcome.

The following might be helpful.. was for me

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2872126/

"A Diagnostic Algorithm for Metabolic Myopathies"

David
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs