Change in personality/mood & cognition on statins?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Change in personality/mood & cognition on statins?

Postby Cath123 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:51 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have noticed a change in your personality, mood or emotions when on statins, or if your family/friends have noticed a change in you. Also any change in cognition, ability to understand or learn things?

If you did have problems with this did they improve or go away after stopping statins? How long did it take you to get back to normal? Or do you have permanant problems because of the statins?

Also did any supplements or other treatments help?

Thanks for any information :)
Cath123

Re: Change in personality/mood & cognition on statins?

Postby Fernb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Yes, I had a very different personality--very angry, cried all the time, confused and would even get lost driving or would find myself places not remembering why or how I got there. Forgetful to the point of thinking I was developing Alzheimer. My Drs would not believe it was medication related, they ran many tests and scans and found nothing. One insisted it was "just a bad fibro flare." One decided I was a nut. I finally fired them consulted Dr internet and found this site, I realized it was the Lipitor. I weaned off all my meds starting with the Statin. Within three days of stopping Lipitor I could have the first real conversation I had in the previous month. That was 2 1/2 years ago. I had been on the stuff 3 weeks when the problems set in and less than 2 full months when I quit it. I also developed severe joint and muscle pain, started using a cane and use it to this day. I have taken Ubiquinol , Vit d, and various other supplements. I follow a ketogenic diet. I have made gradual improvement, but not enough to be able to work again, still way too forgetful,confused and physically debilitated. But at least I don't start screaming and crying every time somebody talks to me, I can walk my dogs--slowly--I am planning to try camping again this year, and once again I can enjoy my grand kids. I am now 59 nearly 60 and I feel this toxin has robbed me of 2 years of my life, really I don't think I will ever be able to have, what for me was a normal life, again.
Fernb

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm

CATH123: You should read some of the "Statin Stories" in this category of the board. You will find many victims who have had cognitive or anger issues. These stories are the best place to begin.

Here is a short clip from my own story:

[I was now sleeping much of the day and couldn't keep up with simple chores around the house. I began losing my train of thought or the thread of a conversation and would avoid engaging in conversation If I could. My memory was getting spotty and words I knew were in my vocabulary simply were not to be found in my mind. An avid crossworder, I was accustomed to speeding through at least the Thursday, New York Times crossword puzzle. At my worst during this ordeal, I could get through Monday, maybe, and Tuesday, if I worked on it all day. It was so frustrating to feel so damned diminished when I knew myself capable of so much more. I became irascible and withdrawn.]

I, unfortunately, have never been the same since my Statin regimen. I hope for a better conclusion for you over time. I stopped Statins in 2005 after 5 years on the medications.

Best,
Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Cath123 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks for replying both of you. So sorry to hear of what you went through due to the statins, it's awful.

Thanks for pointing me to the Statin Stories thread, I've been reading through those and other threads on the forum. Seems that a lot of people have been badly harmed by this.

Did either of you feel that the supplements you took helped at all?

I was wondering when you had the anger and change in personality were you aware of it at the time? Because I read in one of the papers by Dr Golomb about statin induced anger that people weren't aware there was something wrong with them, they just thought everyone else had got more annoying!! :lol:

It's shocking that doctors can get away with causing such severe harm to people, basically inflicting permanent brain injury on people which seems to be what we're talking about here. :(
Cath123

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Cathy:

Yes the supplements helped get me somewhat improved; primarily the cramping and lassitude difficulties. But the rest sat on me like a bad smell, and only dissipated SLIGHTLY over many years. Dr. Graveline's description of "advanced aging" seems the best one; I simply began to age much faster. I would say that the OVERALL Statin damage was improved by about 30% due to cessation of the meds and addition of supplements, and it has never gotten better than that estimate. By the end of my 5 year Statin regimen, people who knew me but hadn't seen me for a few years would say my name with a question mark at the end. I was totally changed.

No, I did not see the behavior problems while on the drugs. I do remember being perturbed by the behavior of other people and would lash out at times for no good reason. I was acutely aware of the memory and cognitive problems while under medication.

I do not feel Doctors are malevolent or culpable in the Statin regimen situation other than they are in a rut and trying to do what the industry tells them is the safest and best way to improve our health; in short, it's ignorance and naivete; not stupidity that keeps doctors parceling out the same bad advice and meds. The medical professional is pressured to spend only a few (7 to 10) minutes with each patient; that is simply not enough time to make a reasonable judgement.

Some other supplements not usually mentioned are: Uridine, Tri methyl glycine, PQQ; essentially anything that improves the function of your mitochondria, which can be damaged by Statin meds.

Best,

Bbrooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Fernb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Cath123
I actually was aware that I wasn't "right" simply because it happened so suddenly. I am normally very calm and reserved and suddenly I was screaming like a banshee and raging for no apparent reason. My poor husband was terrified of me, my kids and grand kids were worried sick and told me so, which, of course made me angrier. I didn't realize HOW bad I was until I started to get better. Then I was mortified as I recalled just how awful I had been. I hate to remember it. I still have problems "connecting the dots." so to speak. Not to brag, but I have always been a "high achiever" and learned things very quickly, that is no longer true, and I still respond to things in a more emotional way than I used to. But, I am mostly reasonable.

I do think Ubiquinol and krill oil helped. I recently had my vit. D tested and it is still very low so I am taking supplements for that. Honestly I don't even remember what all I took. I think a low carb/high fat diet helps as much as anything.
Fernb

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Cathy:
Early on in my "recovery", such as it was, a Loratadine antihistamine would help. The Statin drugs, among other effects, seem to trigger some auto-immune responses, and the Loratadine helped ease that reaction for me. Vitamin D levels (it's not really a vitamin by the way) are lowest in those who live farthest north of the equator due to a lack of sun exposure (which, BTW, requires sufficient CHOLESTEROL for Vitamin D conversion). The body DOES STORE the element in anticipation of a reduced source of sun exposure, and it can be taken in large quantities for a time to build up reserves (see link below). And Yes, your mental acuity gets depressed, but hopefully it will recover to prior levels (mine did not).

Best of luck. Perhaps you will be one of the lucky people who recover fully!!

Best,

Brooks

DON'T INCLUDE THE ** WHEN YOU LINK.
**http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/17/vitamin-d-supplements.aspx?e_cid=20140217Z1_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20140217Z1&et_cid=DM39623&et_rid=430427062
cjbrooksjc

Postby MichV » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:31 pm

What cjbrook said is basically what's happening in my home. My mom's emotional status took a dive since last year when she was put on Crestor, and her memory has also declined. She keeps blabbing about tv shows I have no interest in, and repeats things over and over (so does my dad after over 10 yrs on Lipitor). The flip of a coin anger makes it dangerous. But my parents think their doc is god, so they won't discontinue because the doc "knows best".
MichV

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs