Hello

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Hello

Postby MichV » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Both my parents are on statins, my dad on lipitor for about 10 yrs, and my mom on crestor for almost a year. The doc had my mom on lipitor before but she started to experience liver failure, so he took her off. I think he prescribed the "cash cow" so that he could make more money.

My dad's physical abilities have declined, and this year his memory has taken a steep dive, and I think there may be a TGA around the corner. He was healthy and problem free before this. Now he's got diabetes which only developed after a short time on the drug. He's also on fibrates.

As for my mom, I think her diabetes was caused by low cholesterol to begin with. They joined this supplement company that gives out "free" pills (someone's paying for it though, and someone's making zillions), that is really more like a church, and they got blood tests done (about 10 pages of info). Her ldl was 1.5mmol which is about 60mg, and her hdl was over 5mmol. That is the reason he told her that he put her on crestor (a 5mg dose). I think such a low ldl for her age is quite dangerous, and I don't think it's ever been much higher. No wonder she got diabetes :!: But who knows what that previous stint on lipitor did to her.

I know from the way our doctor treats us (as stupid idiots) and reading this site and the Junk Food Science blog, that statins are the most dangerous drug ever created. I'll never take them.
MichV

Re: Hello

Postby David Staup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:52 am

Hello MichV,

A horrible story! I, even after I became disabled by statins, could not convince my mother nor my sister of the dangers. I watched my mother die and my sister is now fighting for her disability, all due to statin damage.

Your mother is at a relative safe dose assuming she has no precondition that makes her more susceptible.
Your father is most likely damaged already.

The church of free pills you describe is disturbing, cult like almost.

I would not give up on trying to educate them (easier said than done I know). I would also suggest you try to get them started on low dose Benadryl. 1 mg per 40 lbs. (+ or - 10 lbs.) of body weight at meal and bed times, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1961

Good Luck

David
David Staup

Postby MichV » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:25 am

Yes, church of free pills is an apt name for it. As far as I know it's only in Calgary and called Pure North S'nergy Foundation. They are "staffed" by naturopaths and some doctors, and every visit they try to foist more pills on you. So far we have boxes and boxes of these prepackaged daily bathces, in our house. It's not even individually tailored which is how they "market" it, it's all pre-done, same for everyone. They also take mega-doses of vit d drops. I've stopped taking vit D since every time I take any level of dose, my whole body hurt. But then my mom said that I was taking "the wrong kind". Um, I don't think so.

I've been reading your threads with interest. I'm wondering though, what is the purpose of benadryl daily if not for allergies? I had a nasty reaction to perfume last summer, and the benadryl helped a little bit, but what helped reduce the reaction was Zincofax (the diaper rash baby creme). I also bought a new tub of it since mine expired decades ago from when I was a baby, and you wouldn't believe how many baby products have perfume in them :!: Yikes. :shock:
MichV

Postby David Staup » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:13 am

I've been reading your threads with interest. I'm wondering though, what is the purpose of benadryl daily if not for allergies?

LOW DOSE BENADRYL... not just Benadryl

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0261904498
from the abstract:
" It is shown that a number of antihistamine drugs which prevent liver injury inhibit mitochondrial swelling at concentrations at which they do not affect electron transport or oxidative phosphorylation"

INHIBIT MITOCHONDRIAL SWELLING

The low dose Benadryl actually is a better antihistamine because mito swelling is the trigger for degranulation which is the process where mast cells, neutrophils, eosinophils, release histamine. High (normal) dose Benadryl works by blocking the histamine receptors. inhibiting the release of histamine also has a TREMENDOUS affect on inflammation ....a huge factor in the benefits of LDB

Degranulation is also involved in platelets. I haven't looked into the mechanisms of this but I no longer bruise and wound healing is markedly improved.

sorry I missed this post...been busy elsewhere.

David
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs