The Statin Damage Gene

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

The Statin Damage Gene

Postby Nancy W » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:44 am

Dr. Graveline's newest article is very interesting. My husband and I have been reading some of the associated research, and there is a lot! Though my use of all the scientific verbiage is lacking, I will say that not only do the effects of this SLCCO1B1 gene have serious implications for people on statins, that ~25% of us in the USA may have this gene and it may cause us to hyper-concentrate the effects of the statin, causing the damage we all know too well, but since this has to do with anion transport, or in other words, the way drugs and other chemicals are concentrated and transported in our cardiovascular system, then there could be implications for other medications, as well. There appears to be a lot of research around these transporters. So, my husband, who reads faster, and analyzes research very well, says to me...perhaps your having this gene might explain the fact that you are "allergic" to nearly every antibiotic, as well as every pain medication. Hmmmmmmmm. And I am. There are very few medications that I can take. After too many reactions to antibiotics and pain medication, I turned to naturopathy and food as medicine. I don't think I have to many other options... anyone else out there who has sensitivity to more than just statins?
Nancy W

Re: The Statin Damage Gene

Postby lars999 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello!

Was pleased to find that this Finnish article is from 2008, that I did not succeed in finding in full text some years ago. THANKS!! I slogged my way through it today because I wanted to see what data it actually contained. A few years ago I had my partial genome sequenced by 23andme, which included data for SNPs of this gene, with result that I have very low/average likehood of adverse effects from statins, specifically simvastatin. Figure 13, way back in latter part of this article, shows the data for three SNPs of this gene, for simvastatin. 23andme reports that I and my two daughters all have the TT genotype, which is the one that shows little contribution/incidence of adverse effects. :!: BUT!! I still had plenty of quite adverse effects. :!: SO, that leaves at least two or lots more open issues. First is that I took Lipitor, not simvastatin -- perhaps not much of difference, at least in relative effects for each SNP. Second and the wide open, obvious issues -- there is lots more to this than just this one gene and its SNPs, etc.

We really should not be too surprised that this one gene and its SNPs are no more than a part of the entire picture, ditto for the "CoQ10" gene. Consider, for example, all the biochemical processes that statins adversely affect. Then ask "What genes and which of their SNPs and other mutations "control" each of these processes?" I would not be surprised if the total number of possible "guilty" genes and their mutations is well into 10s and 10s. And that does not include any "regulator/on-off genes".

It is really nice to see progress in this area, makes me hungry for more, and more, and more.

Lars
lars999

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs