My Statin Story Update

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

My Statin Story Update

Postby schatzi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm

My Update: Mar 2009 to Aug 2012:
Three and a half years since I stopped Crestor, and all statins for that matter, I continue to have muscle and joint pain in most of my body, can’t do much exercise or I’ll pay the price. I was on various statins for about 15 years. You can read My Statin Story on this website.
This is what happened since I stopped the Statins:
Mar 2010 hospitalized after a TIA, referral to Cardiology.
On 05 April 2010 I had Pacemaker surgery, which has been very successful for me.
In Jun 2010 I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma on my forhead, it was removed and I was declared free of NMSC.
After huge rapid weight gain, I joined a Health Club for daily exercise, which caused me abdominal pain. Suspicion of Diverticulitis, which prompted a CT scan in Nov 2011 revealing a huge mass in the peritoneal area.
This discovery prompted a CT Biopsy in Dec 2011 and diagnosis of Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma, very aggressive, and Follicular Lymphoma, indolent.
After a very horrifying experience locally, I opted to seek medical care at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX and started treatment the day after Christmas 2011. One can self refer to MD Anderson, which I think is great.
The initial staging revealed in a PET Scan, not one tumor but four tumors, stages 3 and 4, the largest mass was 14 x 11 cm, encompassing the Aorta and arteries to the kidney’s, as well as displacing the pancreas.
From the time of the CT scan on 21 Nov to another CT scan on 27 Dec the mass had grown 22%.
I began chemo treatment on 02 Jan 2012, initially a very bad experience, but then ok. After the 4th chemo treatment the largest tumor shrank 44%, two subsequent chemo’s showed no change, however the small Lymphoma in my left leg had totally disappeared, as well as two others in Chest and Pelvic area had no more SUV uptake. The SUV uptake of the large tumor reduced from 17.9 to less than 1.
(SUV, Standard Uptake Value = Cancer Activity)

During Chemo treatment I developed Pulmonary Embolism (PE) for which I now take 2 daily injections of Lovanox.

Since June 2012 I am considered to be in metabolic remission. This month, Aug 2012, I will go back to MD Anderson for re-staging and or follow-up; hopefully good news as well.

I am very thankful for the help I received at MD Anderson, without it I am not sure I would be here to write about it.
schatzi

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs