Looking for proper supplements and dosages

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Looking for proper supplements and dosages

Postby Lipitorwoes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi everyone,

While I got off Lipitor years ago my husband has been on it for a few years. He was told to stop by his family doctor, because he didn't feel his cholesterol was that high to be on it for family history. This is why his previous doctor had him on it. His father had a heart attack at a young age and died quite early. Now his father was a smoker, drinker and ate anything he wanted. I was so happy when his doctor told him to stop because I know what this drug can do to you.

Well, apparently his doctor wants him back on it. He has been off it for about a month and his Cholesterol is 6.2 and LDL is 4.36 and HDL is 1.25. He started sufferring from memory problems and does not want to go back on, but if his doctor is pushy he may just start it up again. I have seen what this drug did to my Mom in that she couldn't walk and I have seen and heard so much about drugs that nothing surprises me. I had/have a previous diagnoses of MS that was found to be Lyme so I know what crap they hand to you to take their drugs.

I have him on a small dose of Q10, but want to know what dosage he should be at and also what dosage and brand of L-Carnitine? Or is there a better supplement. He is 49 and in good health.

Thanks Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby David Staup » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi Leslie,

It is really hard to give hard answers to your questions.

CoQ10....make sure it is ubiquinol and since he had no major muscle problems only mental he probably needs acetyl l carnitine rather than l carnitine as it is the form that crosses the blood/brain barrior. I would also suggest alpha lipoic acid, magnesium, and a very good B complex.

Doses are very specific to each person. I take (now) 200 mg ubiquinol 2x per day..
400 mg acetyl l carnitine 2x per day
200 mc alpha lipoic acid 2x per day
400 mg magnesium 2x per day
I also take several B vitamins and other suppliments in addition to a B complex but that's for specific problems that you didn't mention.

Good luck

David
David Staup

Postby Lipitorwoes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi David,

I realise it's hard to answer my questions. I think he is hoping to be able to take something that would replace the Lipitor. Like bring his numbers down. He realises you can't believe everything the doctors say or what big pharma tries to get you to believe.

He is not one to take a lot of pills. So are you saying to cut out the CoQ10 unless I get one that is ubiquinol? Is that a brand name or a form of? Also to get acetyl l carnitine because he is suffering more mental than muscular? What brand are you taking? I live in Canada so things are a bit different here. It almost sounds like something I should take. I agree he should be taking other suppliments, but he is not a pill taker.

Thanks so much for getting back to me,
Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby David Staup » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Ubiquinol is a form of CoQ10
google ubiquinol
Puriton's pride usually has the best prices..for both

He took the statin

if you can only get standard coq10 qunol or qsorb are the most potent

I was 49 when I started the statin in 2000 I stopped in 2005 was disabled by 2007 .........if he takes the RIGHT pills he may recover....

David
David Staup

Postby Lipitorwoes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 am

By right pills do you mean the CoQ10 and what else? He has noticed that he can't remember things like he use to and forgets things easily. Thankfully no other disabilities from it.

Thanks Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby David Staup » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:45 am

http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/vitamins-for-memory.html
David Staup

Postby David Staup » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:17 am

and for magnesium:

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20100127/magnesium-may-improve-memory
David Staup

Postby Lipitorwoes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:46 pm

How come the links never light up?

Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby David Staup » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:24 pm

you have to copy the link, paste into the address bar, and remove the * before hitting enter.

I'm not sure why this site chooses to do it that way, but that's the way it is.
David Staup

Postby Lipitorwoes » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks David. Maybe it's due to spam issues or you are more prone to getting viruses via a link. Now as I just said that, the links lit up. :o I just looked at one of his CoQ10 and it is ubiquinol while the other is not. I may have him talked into the Omega 3. I am talking this myself in the liquid form from Carsons. Would this be enough to bring his numbers down? His doctor is from Pakistan and not open minded. I am hoping it will show some improvement soon!
Thanks again
Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby David Staup » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Dear none of these are cholesterol lowering agents....lowering cholesterol is bad science turned into a religion. I would absolutely refuse ...knowing what I know now.

If you want to lower his cholesterol, change his diet......stop eating grains, limit starches severly, and switch to grass fed (free range) animal products. Grain fed animals have fat that is 1 to 2 omega 3 to omega 6 and you can stop supplimenting omega 3. Grain fed is 1 to 20 or worce.
Low carb diets that TOTALLY cut grains will lower cholesterol the natural way...

You can also include high dose vitamin C (10 grams or so per day) to naturally lower cholesterol,,,google vit c and cholesterol.
David Staup

Postby lars999 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 am

Here is copy and past from a similar recent thread. As you will learn, nearly all of us here are extensively or totally against the "cholesterol scam". I "fired" doctor that prescribed Lioitor and would "fire" that Pakistani doctor too.

Our old bodies need cholesterol!! Reducing it to abnormal levels is just plain bad-bad-bad.

QUOTE:

I went through a similar downward progression and then, two years ago, found Dr. Duane Graveline's writings on Lipitor and other statins, and quit cold (only on 10 mg daily). After about 5 years on Lipitor my cholesterol had gone down from usual 250-300 to 150 and I was almost a basket case, especially physically. Withing two weeks my physical stamina for low-effort things (like driving a car on Interstates and using cruise control) was up about 6-fold and various other things were improving a lot. Major improvement in first year and it is still ongoing.

Yes, my cholesterol went back up -- to where it should be!! Hang cholesterol quacks!! -- and I started getting independent measurements of health of my arteries. First data was from ultrasonic sounding of my carotid arteries -- they were so clean of plaque that there was absolutely no indication of plaque -- age 71 and after a lifetime of "high cholesterol" and "bad LD/HD ratios and amounts (damn cholesterol quacks and greedy drug companies!!). Then I convinced a cardiologist to order a study of major arteries in my legs -- again NO detectable plague, no impaired blood flow. Next test was a treadmill stress test to detect any problems with my heart -- only problems were small, common in old men and NO clogged arteries. Cardiologist congratulated me on my recovery from Lipitor, to which I responded "Thank you but my recover is not even half way to pre Lipitor levels.

Regards,
Lars
lars999

Postby Lipitorwoes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 pm

David you know that and I know that, but hubby is just starting to learn. He knows all that I have gone through with my Bogus MS diagnoses and years of trying to get treated for Lyme. He has read the countless articles I have on the great things Big pharma has to offer, and the changing of studies to benefit their money making poisons.

He knows all about the bad name that statins have, but I think there is this little voice in his head that says maybe the doctor is right. I told him to do exactly what my Mother did when she got the muscle wasting on Lipitor to put in her file that she is allergic to it. I also pointed out that her cholesterol has not gotten any worse because of stopping it. I just thought there were some naturals that could bring it down to pacify his doctor and make my husband feel better about his decision. I was reading about one natural PGX, but you have to take a lot of pills and it looks like it is more geared to weight loss. I was thinking of my own situation, the doctor asked me what brought my own down and I thiught diet as I follow a Gluten, casein, soy free diet, but reading here I noticed that the Omega 3 is listed as a good supplement and I am taking that. I think I will suggest that the CoQ10. He does not have too bad of a diet.

Thanks again,
Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby Lipitorwoes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Lars,

Thats a great idea about having a scan done of the arteries and a stress test. I know our bodies need Cholesterol and I also know of the greed of big pharma. It sickens me!

Thanks,

Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Postby lars999 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:35 am

Leslie,

Those artery scans I had are wonderfully potent for shutting up cardiologists but not 100% garantee against heart attacks from blocked coronary artery. We learned this when a very physically active and healthy friend of ours suffered a totally unexpected heart attack from what turned out to be a ruptured "Plaque boil" somewhere in one of his arteries. The contents of this ruptured "Plaque boil" then traveled to a coronary artery and plugged it, initiating a sudden heart attack.

This guy was also very lucky -- he almost literally "fell into arms" of passing cardiologist that was equipped with injection of plaque dissolving drug and administered it immediately. ALL post attack attempts to determine where that ruptured boil was provided no information -- only finding plaque-free arteries everywhere they looked.

But, I much prefer to based my fate on demonstrated plaque-free arteries on BS about statins.

Lars
lars999

Postby Lipitorwoes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Lars,

Nothing is ever guaranteed in life. All we can do is educate ourselves. I spent a year on a disease modifying injections for my thought to be MS, and I have recently found out that they do not do anything to the disease out come. There were many side effects with that one, to. I thought I was doing the right thing according to my Neurologist and the bogus studies. Came to find out that not only did I not have MS, but the cause of my thought to be MS it is not from a faulty immune system attack on the mylein. I have found so many discrepancies with all kinds of drugs and all kinds of illness.

It's a very sad world when it comes to $$$$ and what people will do to obtain it!

I'll suggest the scans and have him take the fish oil and CoQ10.

Leslie
Lipitorwoes

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs