Thank you, Admin, Dr. Graveline et al

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Thank you, Admin, Dr. Graveline et al

Postby pops » Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 am

Admin et al,

I want to thank this forum for all it has done – and is still doing: making the world aware that the risks of statins are much higher than previously believed.

When I first came here I was in excruciating pain due to taking lovastatin about a month. I'd experienced the worst-case scenario; going from an elite athlete to being hobbled with pain. The pain was so bad I could barely limp a half a mile. Previously I would hike miles, swim, bicycle, lift weights, daily to my heart's content. And I needed an outlet for my rage at a system that would do that to me. Spacedoc.net gave me that outlet. Here I found camaraderie, people who had gone through what I had gone through, albeit to differing degrees and under different circumstances. But similar, nonetheless.

And I think this forum, and others like it, have done a great deal of good. I hear rumblings out there from people who refuse statins; people who are in excellent health whose doctors want to prescribe these medicines because the medical opinion makers tell them to. These new enlightened patients know doctors are wrong when they tell them that side-effects are rare. These new patients know that these drugs have some degree of usefulness in some people, some times, but not always, and certainly not in everybody. And it is forums like this that has helped people attain this degree of awareness. Without these forums, all we would have is information provided by the people who stand to gain enormous levels of remuneration from these “wonder-drugs.â€
pops

Postby lars999 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:41 pm

I would like to echo, in my own manner, pOps praise for value of this website.

Two years ago, while living in same "wild" part of USA on assignment, my ability to hike or even walk for long had been extremely reduced to 15-30 minutes from all day, to needing to use one or two canes, and needing to rest at least that long before proceeding.

SO, I did Internet searches on the only two prescription drugs I was then taking -- Lipitor and Nexium. Immediately, I was getting negative results about Lipitor from this website, as well as Dr. Beatric Golumb's Statin Adverse Effects Study. I quickly confirmed my new-found information about CoQ10 depletion, while lunching at same eatery as today. I have never taken another Lipitor since that day. That was one of my very best decisions, ever. This website was invaluable!!

Two weeks later, I did 4-day auto trip across much of America, doing all but one hour of driving myself. Only two months before, I could only drive, even on Interstates and with cruise control, about one hour. That was start of a long recovery of physical and mental capabilities lost to Lipitor, a recovery that apparently will never be 100%.

In ensuing two years I have contributed to some 10s of folks quitting statin drug. Every now and then, I would contact someone that had already done as I did, only BEFORE getting their Lipitor prescription filledm based on information found on Internet. I envy those folks!! Also, I learned of some folks that had common sense, either themselves or their spouses, to note that onset of decreased capabilities and health in general, coincided with when a statin drug was started. They quit, not knowing why and against prescribing doctors protests.

My avoidance and that of many others has benefited from Dr. Duane Graveline's and Dr. Beatrice Golumb's efforts. It is with confidence that I say "Much appreciated!!" from all of us.

Lars
lars999

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am

I want to thank you too! This sight saved my life! Life as I knew it was fading away from me and I didn't know why, the doctors didn't seem to care, didn't even want to listen.. I found this sight and found I wasn't alone, there were plenty more having the same problem and their doctors didn't listen either.

I am amazed at how attitudes have changed now days about statin drugs. Word HAS gotten out about the dangers and people are now questioning rather they should take them or not. People are no longer blindly taking them without questioning them first. This web sight has helped many people and will continue to help people.

My doctor and now his nurse has learned not to mention statin drugs to me anymore and they leave me completely alone about them now. Statins are now listed as a allergy on all my medical records.

I still come in here from time to time to see what is going on but I am not able to spend the time online that I use to due to problems with my eyes.
Cat Mom2

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 pm

One thing we (at least I) never say often enough: THANK YOU! While total recovery seems out of reach for me, my symptoms have improved due to my adherence to the regimens recommended on this forum, and in Dr. Graveline's books. THANK YOU!

And again, THANK YOU!

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Allen1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 am

I can only agree with what everyone else has said.
This site was truly a real life saver for me, without it I doubt if I would have survived for that much longer as my lack of judgement, risk awareness and physical capabilities were getting worse all the time while I was taking statins. There are still a lot of problems since stopping statins but there are also some vast improvements too, its taken years to get the way I am now but I wouldn't have known about what was causing my problems if it had not been for this site and its members.

Thanks for being here and also a big thanks to all the people who have helped along the way ;)

Allen :)
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs