reply to dannyboyyo

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

reply to dannyboyyo

Postby David Staup » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:29 pm

dannyboyyo
have your doctors treat this as a mitochondrial dysfunction. print out the following:

"http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalprofs/statin-intolerance-clinic.html

remove the " at the beginning of the link

then highlight the following at the end:

"Other treatment options include supplements to reduce the myotoxicity symptoms attributable to impairment of fatty acid oxidation or mitochondrial dysfunction that result from the statin therapy".

then make sure his doctors read it!

learn as much as you can from here and be informed and go to the appt. and in to see the doctor with your husband!

David
David Staup

Postby lars999 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:15 pm

dannyboyyo,

I will add my first reaction thoughts to what David S. wrote.

First, your doctor is almost certainly feeding you sheer BS about having a heart attack if you do not take a statin drug for the rest of your life. You need a far better explanation than that from your doctor -- if he will not provide it, get another doctor that will. Report that explanation to us and see what comments we have.

Second, based on my own experience with Lipitor, being able to accomplish a successful physical rehab, while on Lipitor, is going to be very difficult, maybe even impossible. More likely, Lipitor will make it very hard to achieve any long-term improvement. I was placed on Lipitor while in far, far better physical condition than you. Lipitor (10 mg) kept decreasing my physical capability until after a few years I could only walk about 15 min, with two canes, before I needed to rest for at least 15 minutes. I could only walk a mile or so each day. I could not drive a car for more than one hour, on freeways and using cruise control. I had become an extensively wimpy old man of 70, functionally 99 going on dead. Two weeks after quitting Lipitor I did all the driving, except for one hour, of a 4-day, 6-hour a day, cross-country auto trip. That was just the start of what is now a 1 and 1/2 year recovery from the ravages of Lipitor -- and I doubt that recovery is finished yet. I had a lot of other undesirable results from takng Lipitor, many that I had never suspected as being caused by Lipitor, that is, until I was off Lipitor for weeks, months, even a year or more and those nasty adverse side effects had greatly decreased or gone away.

I now list Lipitor and all statins on my list of drugs I am severely allergic to. That gets nurse's and doctor's attention!!

With help of folks here, you can educate yourself as much as you like by reading the many critical medical reports we can provide references to. Many of us have come to know more about the bad sides of all statin drugs than you doctor does, but should.

Best Wishes,
Lars
lars999

Postby dannyboyyo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks very much for your replies.

I took your advice and did a lot of reading here and much more to do. I copied and printed the Statin Intolerance Clinic article and plan to bring it up at the next appointment in a week. My husband has been off Statins for four months now with no improvement in his ability to walk or his energy level. Today we got a walker for him.

I'll let you know what kind of reception the Statin Intolerance article gets. Thanks again. Back to reading.
dannyboyyo

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs