Reply to cjbrooksjc from newbie

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Reply to cjbrooksjc from newbie

Postby Jollygirl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Brooks,

Thanks for your replies in the "my story" thread/sticky.
This board does not allow to PM and I understand they did not want replies in that thread. I also posted in the Lipitor forum.

I even forgot to mention some of the other symptoms I've been experiencing like hair loss, extremely dry skin (especially on my legs), irratablility, and bouts of anxiety. All which has and can be attributed to hormone problems.

Can Lipitor/statins effect all your hormone levels?

I don't have my original total blood cholesterol numbers from 4 years ago, but will get them from my doc the next time I go. I'm curious now to the ratio like you mentionned.

I did the low fat diet on the suggestion of my doctor. I already try to cut carbs from my diet, but will be even more careful now.

I'm reading non stop and can't believe I waited so long to research this.
I've been taking Lipitor for 4 years and never felt comfortable about it.
I have made the decision to stop, but will not do it abrubtly. From my understanding this can be dangerous. I will wean myself off over the next couple of weeks. I will cut my dose in half for now and then in half again and hopefully be off completely by next month. Hopefully this is the way to wean off.

I've already discussed with my doctor about stopping and she said no problem to just stop "cold turkey". From what I'm reading that's not a good idea, especially since I've been on Lipitor for 4 years now.

Thanks again for your replies and your suggestions. I will continue to read everything I can, especially about the supplements before I start anything. Oh and I also forgot to mention that I already take Magnesium supplement at bedtime. This was suggested by my doctor to help with the insomnia.
Because I forgot some info in my original post, I guess I should also put memory loss as one of my side effects.
Jollygirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Jollygirl:

Oddly, since I have not been a visitor to the site in some time, I forgot about not posting replies in the 'sticky'. Thanks for alerting me. Perhaps the site manager can remove my remarks and place them here?

To answer your question: dry skin and hair loss are both noted Statin AE's (Adverse Effects); however, Statins are also suspect in creating underactive thyroid problems (hypothyroidism) which can also cause dry skin and hair loss. You might ask your Dr. to check your T3/T4 levels soon.

As far as Statins affecting hormone levels, I can't address the issue, but several folks on the site have benefited from hormone therapy. Perhaps they can add their two cents.

I stopped Zocor cold turkey and experienced no noticeable side effects save the lessening of cramping and pain in my torso and legs. Any way you choose to stop is, as far as I am concerned, a good choice.

Please don't feel neglected if I fail to respond promptly. I am no longer a regular visitor, and weeks can pass.

Here's hoping you have a full recovery. Welcome to the site.

Best,
Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Jollygirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 am

Hi Brooks
Thanks again for replying..
Thyroid problems run in my family so I always ask to get my T3/T4 levels checked every time I go for any bloodwork. It always comes back normal.
This is was so very frustrating...I have loads of wierd symptoms on and off and test results always come back normal. It makes you feel like you're going crazy. I hope that once I stop the lipitor, my endless health issues go away.
Jollygirl

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs