Another great statin side effect

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Another great statin side effect

Postby vipergg22 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

High doses of drugs aimed at lowering cholesterol are linked to increasing numbers of new diabetes cases in patients, said a review of multiple studies on the topic published Tuesday.
So now if you take higher doses of statins you get to have diabetes too so they can sell you drugs for that too!!

Earlier this month, the US Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about high doses of the cholesterol-lowering medication simvastatin (Zocor, Vytorin, Simcor) because of an elevated risk of muscle injury associated with the 80 milligram dose, particularly in the first year of treatment.

Like we haven't known this for years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
vipergg22

Amen, it is about time.

Postby Nancy W » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:02 am

Now we get to watch how long it takes for this information to trickle down to the street level docs...

The latest Spacedoc newsletter is a good place to start on the diabetes question. I have been wondering about this myself, since my persistent neuropathy is slowly resulting in some numbness in the ends of my toes. I am headed first to my Naturopath, who is logical and understanding. I will let him figure out the diabetes question first. Only then, if necessary, will I see my MD, who is actually very comfortable working in a holistic way (as opposed to the doc who wanted me on statins two years ago).

Will report the findings! Nancy W
Nancy W

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs