Brian Clark - RIP

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Brian Clark - RIP

Postby xrn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 pm

It is my sad obligation and it is with much sorrow that I am reporting to the Spacedoc membership that our friend and fellow member, Brian Clark, was taken into hospital with a bad angina attack last night. His condition deteriorated rapidly and he died in the early hours of this morning.

He leaves his wife, Maggie, his daughter, Hannah, and his son, David. I am sure that I am speaking for all of the membership who knew of Brian when I say that our thoughts are with them at this most difficult of times and what for them all must be the very blackest of days.

I never thought I would be writing any sort of obituary for any of my friends and for those who wish to read it, what follows is a little bit about Brian and how he touched my own life.

Many of us spend our time here and then pass onwards without having much effect on our fellow humans, apart from our immediate friends and family. I was very fortunate to be able to count Brian as one of my friends and he will be very sorely missed.

I came to know Brian through his generous and well-considered responses on the Spacedoc website. I visited him a couple of times and we got on well together. We could argue an opposing case without arguing with each other.

I usually managed to phone Brian at least once a week and we often spoke for an hour or more. Brian always cheered me up with his good humour, despite his clear suffering with statin-related damage after he had 17 years of so-called 'statin therapy'.

Brian was a mathematician and he taught mathematics until statins robbed him of his ability to recall things clearly. Being a mathematician, Brian was also the scientist's scientist. He always considered the proof of any particular proposition and he would not be swayed by anything as simple as an emotive appeal to common sense.

Brian had wide-ranging interests and he could talk knowledgeably about subjects that covered the whole spectrum of political theory, radio and electronics theory or music, himself being a jazz drummer in his earlier days. We often talked about early jazz drummers and blues music (which is my own particular addiction) although I have an appreciation of jazz too.

We shared a sense of the ridiculous and sometimes our weekly conversations would descend into remembering various bits of Monty Python (the Life of Brian being a shared favourite) that seemed appropriate to the folly of the day, whether it was perpetrated by a President or a grasping politician.

Brian was most definitely not a conspiracy theorist but he had his eyes wide-open and occasionally; I found that we were discussing the 'black-bag' operations of governments seemingly intent on destabilising society.

I shall miss his easy conversation. We both hailed from London and cockneys tend to talk easily to each other. Latterly, he would send me interesting scientific articles because he knew that I would share them with my young son, Aubrey, and we would eagerly await his next tidbit. Brian was generous with his time and he was very encouraging of Aubrey's musicianship when he heard him playing piano. (usually via YouTube).

I find it hard to comprehend that he is no longer going to pick up the phone and say... "hello Jepho" when I call. I have considered what sort of epitaph I could write for a man for whom I had a deep and abiding respect, a man who would not compromise his integrity... an honourable man with whom I shared many moments, sometimes sad but often very funny.

I am pleased to have the opportunity to be able to say this:
Brian Clark was my friend and his rational voice, easy fellowship and mischievous sense of good fun will be very much missed now that he is no longer with us.

Requiescat in pace

Jepho (to Brian) aka xrn or Jeff to Spacedoc members
xrn

Postby Allen1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:22 pm

That's really sad news Jeff,

I liked Brian a lot and the amount of times we went off topic on this site and ended up joking about different things like roasting in his FIR sauna and the likes, always lightened the mood. Along with people like Ray Holder who was another great bloke, He will be greatly missed by all of us who knew him on this forum.

Rest in peace M8

Allen :(
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:51 pm

That there is a special bond, however tenuious due to distance, between all of us here and Brian will surely be missed. I hope there will be a place in heaven where we will find each other again, probably not far from Valhalla...........

Rest in Peace Brian
David Staup

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 pm

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

...John Donne...

What was true in the beginning is still true.
He will be missed by all who knew him.

Thank you, Jeff, for the posting.

John Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 pm

I am real sorry to hear about Brian. He stuck me as being about as bright as they come and unusually good natured. It makes a lot of sense that he was a mathematician and a musician. He had as solid a grasp of reality as anyone I can think of. He got it.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby adec » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:56 am

Oh wow, I feel so incredibly saddened and guilty for not posting in a while, even if you are all always in my thoughts. I'm just so busy catching up with my own life, after caring for my mom for so many years. I am almost getting ready to kick out the training wheels and letting her roll.

Anyway, this world is missing two really great people Ray Holder and Brian Clark. I miss them both. RIP
adec

Postby uncle2blade » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 pm

adec, Please stick around, I can't tell you how much help you've been to me, and I'm sure others here. I always recommend new members find your posts. I'm doing a lot better. Thanks for everything Craig
uncle2blade

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs