Mayo Clinic admits the truth

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Mayo Clinic admits the truth

Postby pops » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 pm

People:

Please go to the following link at Mayo Clinic.

*http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalprofs/statin-intolerance-clinic.html

You will discover that mainstream medicine has finally admitted what we've known for a while (well, personally I've known it 8.5 months since I took statins and got mauled by them); that in clinical practice statin side effects are much higher than they are in the studies drug companies do. And Mayo Clinic even admitted the reason - that they filter out people who are likely to have side effects before they do their studies.

This is an incredible move forward for patients throughout the world.

It means that doctors will no longer be telling patients that side effects are rare - if doctors pay attention to Mayo Clinic, which most of them do.

It also means that in the future far fewer people will be harmed by these drugs.

It's like a new day. To me it feels like we just landed on the moon again. This won't cure my leg pain. But it will help prevent other people from going through the same thing. Perhaps in the future doctors will be reluctant to prescribe statins for people who are exercising and eating right.

Have a wonderful day, all of you. And may your pain diminish or disappear.

pOps
pops

Postby Allen1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:49 am

Nice one pOps :)

The hyperlipidemia aspect and trying different statins or non statin therapies is still there though. I do hope that where this is mentioned in the link, that they actually mean it to be tried on people who genuinely do have a cholesterol level that warrants some type of intervention and not what some drug company and its poodles magically decide cause it makes more money for them, as is the situation at the moment. This is a big step forward and it should give us all a little bit of ground when we point it out to our doctors that even the Mayo Clinic has a Statin intolerance Clinic because of all the problems.

All the best,
Allen :)
Allen1

Postby lars999 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 pm

Hello pOps!!

Thanks for the info about recent small shift in Mayo Clinic's position on statin adverse side effects. Great to see even that small shift! Mayo Clinic's webbsite is among first I check when educating myself about a real or possible medical condition. After reading what you found, I went back over Mayo's information on lipids, cardiovascular stuff, etc. and found same old standard line about high cholesterol, LDL, etc. Wonder what next small shift will be?

One theme I keep seeing as I read widely in medical literature about drugs for cardiovascular issues is that a popular, emerging position is that statins do their good things because of some poorly understood abilities to stabilize vulnerable plaque, even reduce total plaque burden, etc., etc. In this view, statin's ability to drastically reduce cholesterol, CoQ10, etc. is seen as cause of unneeded and unwanted adverse side effects. There are also indications that a new class of anti-cardiovascular effects drugs are emerging, that do not mess with the Mevalonate Pathway but provide the positive effects of statins. I pay little attention to this because these drugs are, at best, not going to be on market in time for me. You have probably seen same rumors and speculations.

Thanks again,
Lars
lars999

Postby pops » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:00 pm

That's the point, Allen: my doctor reads Mayo Clinic, so coming from them he won't contradict what they're saying. In other words, he will no longer tell patients that side effects are rare, as he did me.

Which means in the future his patients will have a better understanding of the chance they are taking should they say yes to taking a statin. And frankly, had I known the real risk, I would have said no, and I wouldn't have suffered as severely as I did. So this may save future patients from the same fate. Which is what I wanted when I began my campaigne to change things.

As they said in NASA, a small step for man ...

Have a great day.

pOps
pops

Postby pops » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Lars et al:

Yes, I read about that new drug that's alleged to double HDL but not affect mevalonate. I hope it works. I hope it doesn't have serious side effects which the medical establishment covers up.

But for now it seems the best plan is diet and exercise. Low saturated fat, high fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, lean chicken, fish, keep the weight down. We all know the drill.

I'm very happy that the Mayo Clinic did this. I can't thank them enough. This will improve medical care enormously. Since this information hasn't transferred to the rest of the Clinic's criteria for heart care, it might behoove us to get the word out wherever and whenever we can, so eventually it will filter down to the doctors.

I surmise that doctors are extremely busy and barely have time to read their medical journals, let alone any other medical research. And medical journals give facts that have been spun, in my opine.

My fight, however, is over. I got what I wanted - what many of us wanted. I'm tired of it. I have bigger and better things to do. Novels to edit and publish, if the universe will allow it. I'll give it my best shot. I can't spend my time fighting misinformation forever.

Hope you all do well and find ways to improve. I'm still convinced coq10, possibly alpha lipoic acid and cartinine, and several other antioxidants that tend to improve mitochondria damage caused by statins, are the best chance we have of improving. Also vitamin D status - which requires tests to make sure we don't go overboard and harm ourselves. Again, I'm no medical professional, so I can't prescribe. I'm just repeating what I've gleaned through research.

God bless all of you.
May your journey through this existence be as pain free as is humanly possible.

pOps
pops

Postby lars999 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi pOps!!

Glad to hear that you got what you wanted from this mess. Congrats!!!

I envy you, getting back to editing and publishing!! Maybe one side result of all my digging into medical literature will be publication in medical journal, to add to my pubs list. Some of my non-medical colleagues have done so, as consequence of their extensive self-education about statin adverse side effects.

Digging through the medical literature about lipid-intervention studies causes novels like "Alice In Wonderland" to come to mind, or certain Soviet documents about implementation of disinformation. I have almost quit reading lipid-intervention studies, and basically only the data (if they are complete enough to do my own analysis -- most don't meet this simple criteria). As far as I can tell, doctors seldom read more than drug company informercials -- I have yet to find one that even knows the biochemical reaction chains that statins modify so disasterously. Did any of them have more than simple colleage chemistry???

It is such a different experience reading the published articles about various analytical methods for determining the conditions of one's arteries. Mostly solid, factual information, well referenced -- even solid data for a data hog to wallow in!! IF I am gonna get myself the rest of way out of this Lipitor-damage mess, I expect it is going to be via additional ultrasound imaging data or other non-invasive imaging data. I may travel to one of Mayo Clinic's site for some of that, especially if I am enough more impressed with them than with local venders.

Best wishes for a happy and productive future!
Lars
lars999

Postby Allen1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:31 am

Hi there pOps,

its good to see that you are going to use your energy and abilities on something else that you would like to see through and published. Remember to not over tire yourself when proof reading those novels, its easy to miss a character or forget to remove the extra word after altering some text as I frequently seem to do on these forums :roll:

All the best with your quest (And may your pain diminish or disappear) back at you :)

Take care M8, and maybe pop back now and then OK ;)

Bye for now,
Allen :)
Allen1

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 am

This Daily Mail article supports the invalidity of the Jupiter study (Crestor, Astra Zeneca) and the harmful effects of statins. Most of the members on this site don't need further proof, but if one newcomer reads this and presents it to their physician at their next appointment, I will consider the posting justified.

**http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1340299/Why-taking-statins-pointless--bad-you.html#ixzz19Y41Nq00

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

THE STATIN DEADLY MEDICAL TRUST

Postby telxpert » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:54 pm

I have been there and poison by statin called vytorin. My friend this is almost seven to eight years ago and when I complain to several doctors they treated me like a bad criminal. Doctor intentionally alienated, discriminated and advises me to go away. To ask for help during this time is asking for trouble with doctors that they rather see you dead or shut up. Very mean statement and it’s true that doctors during this time will not help you. If you just suffered presently please tell your story if your treatment are like mine. Yes all the side effects to this day are crippling as I get older. The worst part with this experience is that I don’t trust the medical community that can help or destroy. I hope someday the FDA will do a better job to protect the public and not the big pharma that is only for profits. $$$$$$$$ :twisted:
telxpert

Postby vicki » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 pm

For some reason doctors don't want to listen to anthing bad you have to say about Statin Drugs. Doctors won't look at any of the papers you bring off the internet, they just don't believe anything at all is wrong with Statins. If you get any, as I was told slight muscle pain ect, it will go away in a while. Wrong Wrong Wrong, why they don't listen, I don't know.
vicki

Postby David Staup » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 am

I sent the following to my senator. it includes my suspicions as to why doctors refuse to accept any outside info.....Thomas Aquinas (in a different context) called this problem "cultivated ignorance" and surely that is a hugh part of most doctors refusal to see, hear, or speak the truth.

see here:

"http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2009/tc20090918_115353.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Sir,
I am writing to request that you support Senator Chuck Grassley in his effort to get the FDA to fully examine and disclose the truth concerning the full tragedy being caused by the overuse of statin drugs.
I myself was perscribed a statin in 2000 and in November of 2007 was forced to quit work due to the dibillating effects of these drugs. I, furthermore, was ultimately told by my doctor that my problems were in fact caused by statins but that that information would go no further. He refused to pass the information to the FDA through the medwatch program and I can only surmise that he was under pressure not to do so by the drug companies...
I was ultimately awarded full disability 41 days after application only because I found through the FT. Worth news paper that a congressional committee was investigating the drug companies for their general tendency to withhold information and contacted my congresional office and through them was directed to congresman Greene's office (he is on the committee) to tell my story and offer my testimony.
My story is typical and includes misdiagnosis, lying, coverups, and general incompetance by doctors and drug companies through their reps and I would welcome the opportunity to testify in front of the senate finance committee should you desire.

everyone should send there own report on statins to the FDA or whatever body in thier country serves the same function.....see here for contacts:

"http://www.statinvictims.org/report-drugs/

I sent the following link along with the above to my (former) doctor:

"http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-three-monkeys-lilly-king.html
David Staup

Great links, good discussion!

Postby Nancy W » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks all for this line of discussion and the links. pOps, thanks for discovering that article from Mayo. David, I am inspired to write to my congressmen and women.

A happier new year to all! Nancy
Nancy W

Mayo and Spacedoc

Postby Johnboy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:43 pm

What a wonderful surprize for me tonight. I suffer leg pain from what is likely statins induced, and for some unknown reason, tonight I went to the Mayo site and found that they now have a statin intolerance clinic. I was so delighted and a wave of hope come over me that made me laughed out loud and called my wife in to see it too. I wrote their phone # down to call tomorrow and learn more. BUT THEN I kept reading, and lo & behold I clicked on their (Mayo) forum link and BAM!! Spacedoc pops up!! What a plesant surprize!! Those red letters that make up Spacedoc's logo looked so familiar to me..but it took a couple of seconds for it all to sink in. But there it was. The ground zero of statin research!!
I had to stop and thank God for what I stumbled upon tonight. I can easily understand Doc's remark about landing on the moon.
I'm just so totally happy for you Dr. Gravline. You just don't know!

John in GA.
A question for anyone? Does the Mayo C. in Jax, FL have the statin intolerance clinic?
Johnboy

Postby lars999 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi Johnboy!!

Welcome to www.spacedoc.net forum!! Lotta folks here were delighted to find this site!! It was information provided by Dr. Duane Gravaline that lead directly to my quitting Lipitor on same day I confirmed that specific information. One of best decisions I ever made!!

I think a lotta folks here will be very interested to hear about your experiences with Mayo Statin Intolerance Clinic.

Best Wishes!!!
Lars

PS: I know at least one other "Johnboy", he lives in some place called "New Jersey". How many "Johnboys -- John Boys -- etc. are there?
lars999

Postby David Staup » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:33 pm

John,

so far everyone from this forum that has contacted the clinic has been disapointed. it is not a clinic for statin victims. what they have offered is just the usual line of a low fat diet ie. what to do to lower cholesterol if you cannot tolerate statins!!!

also I cannot find the mayo forum link you mention...can you point to where you found the link???
David Staup

Postby David Staup » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm

here is the quote from the first person from this forum that went to the clinic

"I went to the mayo statin intolerance clinic. They did not offer much. A sheet of paper with a low fat, high carb diet and take Coq10-200 mg three times a day"

here is the link to the other discussion :

"http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=1790&sid=c8b69b453935b2a592d723450c4d7a45

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but no real help for us there.
also I see they have toned down the main page... here is the original that has some real info on statins and trial frauds:

"http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalprofs/statin-intolerance-clinic.html

David
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs