dear doctor

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

dear doctor

Postby pops » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Dear doctor:

I'm writing this here because there's no other format where I feel free to express my opinions and recently acquired knowledge about statins.

You experienced something similar to multiple sclerosis. You thought you had MS. Apparently that scare is over. I wanted to explain to you - in case you haven't had the time to research this on you own, why statins might have caused your symptoms.

The fact that you won't read any of this in JAMA or the NEJM is of no surprise. Both those magazines are financed in large part by pharmaceutical companies, and they edit out anything that might tend to cast a shadow on their big money drugs.

Why would statins cause MS (and ALS - ALS being another disease in which the myelin is dysfunctional) like symptoms?

Cholesterol transports essential fatty acids. Oligodendrocytes - the cells that continuously rebuild the myelin sheath (the covering to nerve fibers - think of insulation on electrical wires) require essential fatty acids, because the myelin is composed of that. By lowering cholesterol beyond a certain point the oligodendrocytes are deprived of essential fatty acids, and the myelin sheath will begin to deteriorate.

A breakdown in myelin causes diseases such as MS and ALS. Symptoms of both those illnesses have been reported as a side effect of statins. The medical establishment continues to insist there's no proof of a connection.

The point being that while your medical journals would deny the connection between statins and MS-like symptoms, the possibility is real.

Have a nice day, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

pOps
pops

Postby vicki » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 pm

GoodI letter. I am ashamed to admit, I find myself at times wishing my own medical doctors the side effects from Statins drugs so they know what I am gong through and went through.
I don't wish my chiropractor this and he would never take statins drugs. He sees more and more people coming in with what he thinks is statin damage. My wonderful son is my chiropractor he has seen what I've gone through and tries his best to help me and others.
vicki

Postby pops » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Vicki:

Thank God for good doctors, such as your son, who try to help people other doctors harmed.

It's good to know there's a silver lining. Too many people have been hurt by these dangerous drugs, which, in my opinion, should be used far less frequently than they are.

At the moment I wonder if these drugs should be used at all.

I'm glad you're finding help.

I hope everyone here finds a way to cure, or at least treat their side-effects.
Best luck to all of you.

pOps
pops

Postby vicki » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 am

thanks pops! I'm thankful for my son too. He also has taken many many classes on how to eat right.

Hope we all do better
vicki

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs