What is Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ)

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

What is Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ)

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 pm

It is suspected that "statin induced myopathy" is actually a mitochondrial insufficiency caused by the action of statin drugs. Here is another possible addition to your diet (and already impressive supplement collection) that may help boost energy and mitochondrial efficiency.

**http://www.functional-supplements.com/mitochondrial-adaptation/pyrroloquinoline-quinone-pqq/

I plan to give it a try. I will let you know if it shows promise.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Sorry, I meant to include this article in my last post:

**http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/ss2010_Rejuvenate-Your-Cells-Growing-New-Mitochondria_01.htm

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes, well I should read the current posts I have missed before posting any "startling", new information. I see now the PQQ thing is not new to this group at all. Mea Culpa. Still, I hope the information is useful.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Ted update from SOS Fran

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello ALL,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to visit the forum. I was glad to see information re: PQQ is Dr Graveline's latest newsletter. I subscribe to Life Extension Foundation and upon reading their article on PQQ (Super Sale 2010 Edition), I decided to start my husband Ted on the recommended dosage of 10mg twice daily. At the same time he takes Jarrow QH (ubiquinol) 200mg as the two work together syntactically.We've been following this regime for over a month now. One improvement that was almost immediate: Ted had a sty in his left eye for several months. Nothing seemed to help (eye ointment, warm compresses) but about a week after starting PQQ/ubiquinol the sty disappeared almost over night. Not sure what the association is between a sty and our mitochondria, but his eyes (dryness/redness) are much improved overall.

Quick update: Ted stopped Lipitor 20mg 7 years ago. He experienced TGA (as well as numerous other ADR's), but once Lipitor was stopped his memory and other side effects returned to normal for about 1 yr. Then the downward spiral of memory loss, Parkinson's symptoms (hand tremor and bradykinesia), inguinal hernia May 2008, grand mal seizure August 2009 and more recently incontinence. He requires 24/7 assistance with all daily activities.

We've tried heavy metal detox (IV's) and numerous supplements over the past 7 years but L-Tryptophan (approx. 3,000mg daily) seems to work for both mood and sleep; also helps the hand tremor at times. Only prescription medications are Lamictal ODT 100mg twice daily (anti-seizure) and Xanax .25mg at bedtime to help offset "vivid dreams" caused by Lamictal.

The PQQ article in LEF was very compelling and I truly hope my husband's condition can be helped, if nothing else, prolong his quality of life which is slowly slipping away.

I'll try to visit the forum more often.

Happy & Healthier New Year to ALL

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby David Staup » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 am

*http://www.allvitaminsplus.com/812259000249.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag

I came across an article about PQQ a couple of months ago, thought I'd posted it here (fog attack???) anyway the above is the one I settled on but I see you can get it cheaper here:

"http://www.supervits.com/Quality-of-Life-Labs-VitaPQQ-30-Vcaps-P3720.aspx?gclid=CPb98qLypaYCFY9l7Aod7wyfpw

for those who would like to cut down on the number of pills PQQ and CO-q10 are also available:

*http://www.nextag.com/PQQ-supplement/stores-html?nxtg=8b90a280504-2E134A2D15197B1F
David Staup

PQQ

Postby Nancy W » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm

David, have you been taking PQQ? What is your experience?

Happy New Year!

Nancy
Nancy W

Postby David Staup » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Nancy,
it's good to hear from you, I was getting a little worried!

As to your question I haven't started taking them yet, I'm having some difficulty recovering to my highest point, unforseen things and stubbornness have been plagueing me for 2 or 3 months now/

I'm worried about starting the PQQ before then because of the following from a link I posted (I think) earlier:

"A recent genomics paper clearly demonstrated a difference, using gene array technology, between CFS patients and controls before and after exercise (Whistler). "

somewhere I've a clearer statement about this that basicly says that mutations or maybe just damage occurs in our nDNA and mDNA when we over do it and that the extended or delayed recovery is representative of the time it takes for repairs to be effected!

I hesitate to have damaged but repairable mitochondria replicate.

understand that by repairable I mean to the highest level possible for the individual.

Hopefully I can recover more easily now that it's tooooooooo cold to do much anyway :wink:

in case I havent posted it, here is the link:

"http://www.iacfsme.org/CFSandtheExerciseConundrum/tabid/314/Default.aspx

David
David Staup

Catching up

Postby Nancy W » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi David,

Good article. Probably about as good an article as you will get for those of us who have exercise intolerance. Will be interesting to see if the research will sometime figure out how this works for those of us with statin induced exercise intolerance. Will the mechanism be the same or different? The article gives a good framework to work off of.

I have been quite busy for some time. Some work, a mix of caregiving grandchildren and my father. the holidays and trying to set up a private practice, which always ends up at the bottom of my to do list. I am one of those people who has difficulty saying "no." Can you tell?

For the last two weeks my father, nearly 90, has been hosptialized due to becoming septic from an asymptomatic UTI. It has done a number on his brains. He should get out of acute rehab in several days, then back to his assisted living with additional help. I went in to the hospital for ten straight days, then finally today, my niece went in for me. It was good to kick back, though I had some work to do around here that had been waiting since before Christmas. So, a lot of stress, coupled with some family stress with my sister, who has something to say about everything I do, and contests every decision I make for our dad (I have the DPOA). So I am totally fatigued.

And then I ran out of the Neurochondria 48 hours ago and am waiting for more to come in. The substitute supplements aren't doing it for me and the neuropathy is coming right back. Not good. But information, just the same. The neurochondria helps me, and the other CoQ10 + supplements apparently don't.

If you were reading the conversation I was having with Phil on this site earlier today, you might have read that I have been having fatigue symptoms, combined with weakness I hadn't had last year. You might have also caught a curious statment I made maybe a month ago, or so about Dr. David Brownstein's statement in a course my teacher was attending that the half-life of statins can be 10 years. I have been trying to corroborate this, as it might explain how new adverse effects show up... I bought his book but didn't find that info there. I have called my teacher and she is supposed to get back to me with the reference.

Suffice it to say that whatever the cause, the initial insult to the pathway must create more damage than thought, for other things to go wrong over time...

I am aware that I am in this for the long run, for better or worse, and determined to learn from this experience...

Know you have been having a rough time of it lately, hope 2011 is better for us all!

Nancy
Nancy W

Re: What is Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ)

Postby David Staup » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:18 am

PQQ has been brought up in some other groups recently. I have pointed them to this thread but had not reread it myself. I see now that there has been no feedback on it's usefulness.

anyone care to comment?
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs