statins: conclusion

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

statins: conclusion

Postby pops » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:16 pm

I've posted my story. 63. Athlete. Total cholesterol 180, HDL 49, LDL 120, triglycerides 53. 33 days on lovastatin. Subsequent escruciating pain from waste down and heart problems. Heart returned to normal in a month, but the pain remains.

Doctor told me side effects are rare. I've interviewed 20 people who've taken statins. 10 of them quit taking them because of side effects. 2 more continued taking them in spite of side effects. That's 12 out of 20 who had side effects. Not at all rare. In fact, side effects are common. And apparently sometimes side effects do not go away after stopping.

I've also researched how statin manufacturers run their "epistomological" studies: they eliminate anyone who has or could have side effects based on age and other medications or past history. That leaves them with a pristine group who is unlikely to experience side effects. From the data derived from that pristine group, they are able to tell doctors side effects are rare. However, had the entire group been tested - IE: the general public - then side effects would be common.

Since some of the side effects constitute pain which precludes the ability to exercise, in some people statins might *increase* the risk of heart disease. I might be one of those. I have not been able to exercise nearly as much as I was since taking statins. My opine, my risk of heart disease went up, not down. If my impromtu study extrapolates to the general public, then half the people taking statins are experiencing pain which makes it difficult for them to exercise. And since lack of exercise is a risk factor for heart disease, in those people the risk of heart disease is increased by statins, *not* decreased.

In addition, pain lowers quality of life. If 100 million people are on statins worldwide as some say they are, and half of those experience pain and suffering from these drugs, then 50 million people have been made to suffer.

I'm hoping the statin manufacturers are telling some truths and that people with extremely high cholesterol are actually being helped by statins. But even if that's so there is a plethora of folks who are being harmed and having their risk of cardovascular disease increased because of improperly prescribed statins.

I recently read an article in Fox: they stated the latest theory is that even people with low cholesterol can benefit from statins.

Hooey.

Where are the class action lawyers? Where are the checks and balances? Where's the FDA? The DoJ? Anybody out there with authority paying attention to this travesty of justice?

I'm disgusted.

Sorry folks. I know many of you have experienced pain, as I have. I hope somehow this thing turns around.

Fairness and justice demand it.

Have a nice day if you can.

pOps
pops

Postby lars999 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Good Post POPs!!

Of the 30 or so folks I know of that are or have been on statins, only 2 have been on statins for years and report "no problems" (not really no problems, as I keep finding out, but that is another story). ALL the others have either 1) quit because they could no longer tolerate the adverse effects of statins, 2) decided NOT to take the statin they were perscribed, after doing a little Internet searching., or 3) quit after reading information I brought to their attention.

SO, from my personal knowledge, ALMOST EVERY ONE gets hit by adverse side effects of statins, sooner or later. But, maybe it really is EVERY ONE!! Given how statins affect our bodies, in order to reduce cholesterol to dangerously low levels, adverse effects are to be expected. I keep wanting to ask doctors "Don't you have any biochemical common sense?" I may start doing that. Once I read Dr. Duane Graveline's description of Mevalonate Pathway, statins were headed for the "Do Not Take!" list.

As you, I have come to view clinical tests with lots of sceptism and most medical community's touting of results from them as serious missrepresentation. Such a potentially wonderfull tool -- and now we have to regard results from them with high scepticism. My scepticism started well before I understood that I too was a statin-victim. It was the clinical tests done to get FDA approval of a cancer drug a close friend of mine was taking. THAT was a shocker!! Six months on a dibilitating drug for an expected prolongation of life of 4 months!!!! Almost makes statins sound like candy.

Lars
lars999

Postby pops » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks. Sorry about your friend and the cancer drug. I knew a guy - younger than I am - said he had cancer and just started "therapy." A week later he was dead. Shocked me.

Don't know what the medical establishment is thinking, or if they're thinking at all.

I believe modern medicine *could* be useful if utilized correctly. For whatever reason, they're not prone to do that.

Giving statins to everyone (which they plan to do) is dangerous. The worst is their plan to give it to children as young as 2. Imagine a child, still nursing, mother has rich milk, child has elevated cholesterol; they give her statins, stall brain and muscle development. The child winds up mentally challanged and crippled for life. That directive is coming from the American Association of Pediatrics. You would think those people would advocate for children. Apparently those people are advocating for Big Pharma and don't care at all about children.

What's going on is wrong, but nobody seems to be doing anything about it. It's as if big money has a voice, but everyone else's voice can't be heard.

Thank you for your response. I wish we could do more than just write about this. I wish we could change it. Any ideas how?

pOps
pops

Postby lars999 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 pm

pOps,

One idea occurred to me this afternoon -- getting all of Dr. Duane Graveline's three paper backs, plus "Dark Sides Of Statins", into local libraries where us older folks are most likely to frequent. There are other worthwhile, similar books.

One can even imagine a section on "Statin Drugs and Their Effects" in such libraries.

Getting AARP to feature such books would reach a generally literate and inquisitive population. Any well connected, activist AARP members here?

A nice investigative article in Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, San Francisco, LA, and Chicago, etc. major dailies should stir things a bit.

Then there is the old "Chain Letter" approach. IF each of us help a few fellow statin victims avoid our nasty fates, and each of them does the same ....... well, why not?

A bit of Leninesk "Re-educate the doctors!!" would sure be nice!! But that was another time and another country and culture. Intriging method though.

Lars
lars999

Postby David Staup » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:38 am

I'm for sending them all off to Siberia.... if you also add statins to thier water supply!

Lars, somewhere on this board I linked to some info on "micro-current muscle repair" that was mentioned on the mito group. It may be something useful.

here it is:

"http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?p=10705&sid=b1e76a847ef37922c5bfee70eba214c0

David
David Staup

Postby lars999 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 am

David -- Thanks for link. I had noticed the microcurrent thing previously. It is one of many potential leads I have not yet followed up. Understanding the biochemistry and genetics of mitochondria has me in a "feeding frenzy" at the moment.

I noticed Dr. Peter Langsjoen's name in the posts in link you provided. He is one of person whose work I followed closely when I initially was researching CoQ10. I just could not pass up checking out someone with name Langsjoen (The Long Lake in Norwegian and Swedish) -- names like that just jump right out at me. At some point I expect to return to data mining the CoQ10 Institute's activities and publications.

Statins in drinking is indeed a great idea, already supported by the drug companies, just so long as only statin-perscribing doctors are required-allowed to drink it, as their only source of drinking water. Putting them all in a gulag (Govt. Camp in Russian) in Siberia would facilitate that. This could also aleviate the shortage of doctors in Siberia -- a real win-win.

It just occurred to me that ALL statin-perscribing doctors should be required to take statins themselves, in high dosages to speed along their appreciation of the wonder-drug effects of these drugs. Just think of the additional market that would provide the drug companies!!

So many wonderful solutions to the statin drug crisis!!
Lars
lars999

Postby pops » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:00 am

Lars:

All good ideas. I hope it can work, but I'm cynical. Seems rich corporations have a presence everywhere. Once more, money speaks louder than us normal people.

There was an article in ABC from July 2010. In it they quoted experts who doubted the value of giving statins to people who are (a) healthy and (b) have normal cholesterol.

So at least one news media is giving press to "reality."

Fox recently had an article stating experts now believe statins are even good for people with low cholesterol. That's scary. Imagine a world in which everyone is on statins; there would be billions of people disabled from this (deleted).

I'm reminded of why the red yeast rice fungus developed lovastatin during its evolution. The idea was to poison animals that eat it so they either die or get sick and don't eat it again. It's an evolutionary plan straight out of B.F. Skinner's negative reinforcement. If animals know to stay away from this stuff, why don't humans?

Have a nice day. Thank you for your well thought out posts. I hope the medical system wakes up. Perhaps we can effectuate that. Not a bad idea to give it the old "college try."

pOps
pops

Postby vicki » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:52 am

I was put on Statins at the age of 47, I was very healthy, been off them now 15 yrs. I still have terrible damage from them and also developed CLL, type 2 diabetes, high/low blood pressure. I have no doubt that Statins are to blame for everything thing I have.

I have my medical records 10 yrs. before statins till now.

It is very obvious all my medical problems started after taking statin drugs. 4 office calls in 10 yrs. before statins. 2 for a school bus physical. After statins 100's off office calls, lab work, heart tests, abdominal problems, breathing problems, swollen ankles, 8 different kinds of braces, torn muscles, locked up wrists, lg. black and blue marks (appeared over night)........................ ( you all know, we all seem to have a lot of the same symtoms)

I wonder all the doctors that prescribed these wonderful statins, surely the doctors took these pills and have the damage, where are they?
where are the people that work for the drug co.'s that took these statins. Why isn't any of these people coming forward? I don't understand, none of us can get any doctor to admit it was the statins, I just don't understand.

I did have the nerve test and it does show nerve damage, but just a little, my doctors don't repond to the nerve damage at all, they only say well it is just a little. Wish they had that just a little...... the pain isn't just a little to me. I believe when I go to the doctors they think I am just making up everything because they can't find anything on all the tests they take, Including the heart tests they gave me when I had severe heart palputations and chest pain. They thought I also had a stomach blockage, nothing found yet I was in severe pain that I can only describe symtoms like hard child birth. I also have such severe breathing problems I was put in hospital...of course it couldn't have been the statins. Always it couldn't have been the statins. Eight yrs. later off statins, I still have the damage, I know it will never go away, CLL doesn't just go away.
vicki

Postby pops » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Interesting you mention doctors who've taken statins. My doctor had a big scare: thought he had MS. His legs went numb.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he was on statins. I'd also bet he didn't believe the claims that statins are harmful, but did believe the Pharmaceutical Cartel's lies about side effects being rare. If I were to suggest to him that statins might be to blame for his symptoms he'd call me crazy. I'm sure of it.

Side note: I looked it up on drugs.com. Side effects from statins affect 1 in 4,944 people. Yeah, right. More like 1 in 3 or 1 in 2. And sometimes the affect is permanent.

So yes, I do think doctors are affected by statins like everyone else. But they've been brainwashed to believe their problems couldn't possibly be from these dangerous drugs.

This is an Emporer's New Clothes scenario. Everyone admires the Emporer's attire, but he's as naked as a J-Bird.

Statins might be useful to some, but not nearly as many as they want us to believe. Those who perpetrate the lie must be sociopaths. They only care about money. They don't mind inflicting pain if it will increase their profit margin. Those of us posting here see through the lies. That might be enlightenment.

Too bad enlightenment is so painful. But at least there is a silver lining of sorts.

Refuse to give up. Heal yourself. Find a way. Don't let the liars win.

pOps
pops

Postby lars999 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Should any of you be interested in the clinical trials done, ongoing, and planned go to *www.clinicaltrials.gov and type in "statins". I got 1072 trials.

No, I have not gone through any of these 1072 trials - yet. Some number of the trials are listed as "Completed, Has Results" -- I intend to read at least some of these soon.

This data base tries to cover all clinical trials in all countries of the world. I have used it in past to screen for specific kinds of clinical trials in other medical areas. It is a good place to start.

I have yet to find specific results about any drug previously of interest to me. Apparently, the drug companies that sponsered (paid for) the trials protect the data from public access. Ditto, as best as I can tell, for data on which FDA granted approval to sell drug.

In addition, there are the generally larger trials, specific to statins, mentioned in writings by Graveline and gang.

Happy Hunting!
Lars
lars999

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs