6 months after lovastatin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

6 months after lovastatin

Postby pops » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 am

Today is six months after I stopped taking lovastatin. My cholesterol levels before being prescribed this medicine were:

HDL 49
LDL 120
triglycerides 53
total cholesterol 180.

I did not have heart disease. I exercised 7 days a week. My BMI was in perfect range. I ate low fat high fruits and vegetables. My father died of heart disease at 52, so my doctor prescribed lovastatin. He said my LDL was too high per current guidelines.

Three weeks later I experienced pain in my legs and back and I cut the pill in half - taking 5 mg per day. The pain lessened but didn't leave. A week later I tried a full pill again. The pain increased until I could barely walk. My resting heart rate increased from 50 to 65. My blood pressure went from 120/65 to 160/90. The pain was intense. I experienced syncope.

I'd taken lovastatin a total of 33 days. My CPK remained normal throughout.

Prior to lovastatin I'd swim, hike, lift weights, and so on every day. After that I had to nearly cut out all forms of exercise except the mildest. Any exercise induced excruciating pain.

Now, six months later, I exercise again, though I can't do as much as I could before. I force myself to push through the pain. My heart and blood pressure have returned to normal, but my legs still ache, though less than they did immediately after this catastrophe.

They want to give this poison to children. They want to give it to healthy people without heart disease. All of which is insane, based on my experience.

I think the world needs to know these things. I think too many people have been unnecessarily disabled from this class of drugs who didn't need to be. I look forward to a future where the criteria for prescribing statins are greatly changed from what they are today.

Thanks for listening.
Good luck with your tribulations.

pops
pops

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs