ability scale

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

ability scale

Postby David Staup » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:54 pm

the following "ability scale" developed for CFS is a very good indicator for the extent of our individual levels of damage....anyone care to rate themselves? I figure 20-25 for myself.

100: No symptoms with exercise. Normal overall activity. Able to work or do house/home work full time with no difficulty.

90: No symptoms at rest. Mild symptoms with physical activity. Normal overall activity level. Able to work full time without difficulty.

80: Mild symptoms at rest. Symptoms worsened by exertion. Minimal activity restriction needed for activities requiring exertion only. Able to work full time with difficulty in jobs requiring exertion.

70: Mild symptoms at rest. Some daily activity limitation clearly noted. Overall functioning close to 90% of expected except for activities requiring exertion. Able to work/do housework full time with difficulty. Needs to rest in day.

60: Mild to moderate symptoms at rest. Daily activity limitation clearly noted. Overall functioning 70% to 90%. Unable to work full time in jobs requiring physical labour (including just standing), but able to work full time in light activity (sitting) if hours are flexible.

50: Moderate symptoms at rest. Moderate to severe symptoms with exercise or activity; overall activity level reduced to 70% of expected. Unable to perform strenuous duties, but able to perform light duty or deskwork 4 - 5 hours a day, but requires rest periods. Has to rest/sleep 1-2 hours daily.

40: Moderate symptoms at rest. Moderate to severe symptoms with exercise or activity. Overall activity level reduced to 50-70% of expected. Able to go out once or twice a week. Unable to perform strenuous duties. Able to work sitting down at home 3-4 hours a day, but requires rest periods.

30: Moderate to severe symptoms at rest. Severe symptoms with any exercise. Overall activity level reduced to 50% of expected. Usually confined to house. Unable to perform any strenuous tasks. Able to perform deskwork 2-3 hours a day, but requires rest periods.

20: Moderate to severe symptoms at rest. Unable to perform strenuous activity. Overall activity 30-50% of expected. Unable to leave house except rarely. Confined to bed most of day. Unable to concentrate for more than 1 hour a day.

10: Severe symptoms at rest. Bed ridden the majority of the time. No travel outside of the house. Marked cognitive symptoms preventing concentration.

0: Severe symptoms on a continuous basis. Bed ridden constantly, unable to care for self.
David Staup

Interesting scale

Postby Nancy W » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 am

Hi David,

Thanks for posting the scale. I haven't been on in a while. I have been attempting a return to work and exercise...symptoms much better with some tweaking of supplements over the last few months.

I am not yet working full time, though I did one 8 hour day this past weekend and wasn't wiped out. For the last couple of months, I have been able to do 3 days a week, no more than 6 hours, with some of that time at the computer, writing up evaluations. I am being very cautious. I am pretty sure that I can't really go back to full time work in the nursing home I work in, as the number of bariatric patients has climbed steadily, and I am very leery of my own strength, both from a ptient safety standpoint, and from the standpoint of my own safety...

I am also back at the pool about 4 days a week, exercising gently. My exercise tolerance has improved, but it is nowhere like it was before all of this statin business.

I recognize that some part of this is not going away, so I am being very careful and slowly "titrating" my exercise and activity to see what will happen.

Being at a "20" has got to be a challenge...I would cautiously say I am at about 70.

Just wanted to say hi!

Nancy
Nancy W

Postby David Staup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Nancy,

It's really good to hear that You're doing better.

once you find you're limit stay under it by 15 or 20 percent and you will limit relapses...my tip of the day :)

David
David Staup

Thanks!

Postby Nancy W » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:45 pm

David, Thank you for your advice, which I will take seriously...you, of all people are so knowledgeable. I think remembering to listen closely to our bodies, and rest when they need it is paramount. Since I have to mow today, I skipped the swimming...one thing is sufficient.
Nancy W

Postby pmgamer18 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 pm

I would say 6 weeks ago I was at 10 then taking supplements 3 weeks ago I feel now I am at 30 getting better but it's very slow. I am waking with a walker now able to get out of the house.

I am going to try to drive next week if things keep getting better.

I am on Darvocet/Acetaminophe/Propoxyphe 650mg/100mg Po Tab. 3x's/day.
And Tylenol Arthritis Pain 2 tablets 3x’s/day.

And these are my suplements that my Heart Dr. told me to take.
•Ubiquinol Capliques Featuring Kaneka's Qh (200mgs) 3x’s/day mercola.com.
•Lecithin 1200 mgs 3 caps 2x’s/day.
•Acetyl-L Carnitine 500 mg 2x’s/day.
•Alpha Lipoic Acid 250 mg 2x’s/day.
•Krill Oil capliques 1,000 mgs. 2 with food morning mercola.com.

From what I have read if you do better on this there is a good chance for a good recovery.

Phil
pmgamer18

Supplements

Postby Nancy W » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:55 pm

I am taking everything on your list, and yes, it has and is helping! I find Mercola.com to be interesting, have followed him for years.
Nancy W

Postby pmgamer18 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Yes I have been getting his Email news for some time. A web friend of mine on the forums Dr. John met him at a convention and did not care for him.

But I find his news Emails to be very good.

One other Dr. I met on the web is Dr. Mariano he came to one of the forums I was at looking for men with low hormones to get input on there low hormones for his new book.

He feels most of the problems people have are due to low hormones. He is in Psychiatry and when his book comes out it will change the way Dr.'s treat people for mental problems.
pmgamer18

ability scale

Postby BDavis » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd have to say I'm between 20-30.
With one doctors diagnosis of Heart failure who wasn't and isn't my primary doctor, I'm left with really no care for the diagnosis.
I take 1000mg of CoQ10 and 1500 mg of L-Carnitne, as well as Bp meds.
When I stopped Lipitor the first of 2007 I seem to get better, as time passes, I have had to increase my supplement which help for a while then I get worse again. Now I feel as bad as I did when I was on Lipitor.
Unfortunately I don't have medical insurance, so I can't afford testing but once a year or so. I just had blood work done and should get the results next week. I hope it will shed some light to why I'm getting worse again.
BeLinda
BDavis

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs