Assistance required following response from Depart of Health

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Assistance required following response from Depart of Health

Postby Gizmolynx » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:10 am

I live in the UK and after experiencing appalling health problems mentally following five years of taking simvastatin I stopped taking the medication and now three months later feel so much better. I am however now taking testosterone capsules to try and restore my flagging libido. I have recently bought and read Dr Malcolm Kendricks great book "The Great Cholesterol Con" and after doing so I wrote to my MP to express my anger at why so many people are being prescribed this drug and I quoted Dr Kendricks book in my letter. The response from the department of health (written by an Earl no less) seeks to counter my assertions by quoting lots of studies that prove just how wonderful this drug is. This is where I get lost because it is all so complicated and I find if difficult to know how to respond. Could anyone look over their letter of response and the studies they quote and make an analytical assessment of it all in order to help me to respond? Is this somethinf Dr Kendrick might be willing to do perhaps? Please advise. :(
Gizmolynx

One thought

Postby Nancy W » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:54 am

Dear gizmolynx,

I can empathize with your dilemma. There is truly a lot of information to digest between this website and what is written in the featured books. I think it would be great to develop a "platform" paper that would be easy to find and give to caregivers, and yes, it would be great if one of the docs could put it together...

Beatrice Golumb MD (University of California San Diego) did such an amazing job in January of 2009 with her research on the adverse effects of statins. It is a long paper, however, and not the easiest thing to obtain. I have given the link to it as a reference to the physicians I had last year. I do not believe that any of them read it, save for my naturopath. But it does make it abundantly clear how many different adverse effects there can be. Most docs I talk with still think that muscle pain is the only side effect...probably because they hear the same warnings on TV commercials that we all do.

Nancy
Nancy W

Postby lars999 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Some of us have .pdf files, received direct from San Diego Statin Effects Study, of the three major published (in medical journals) from Dr. Golumb's work on statin effects. IF any of you can access my e-mail via this site, I will be happy to send along these .pdf files. I am leary of posting my e-mail address publically on Internet.

Lars
lars999

Re: One Thought

Postby Gizmolynx » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay in replying but I have been visiting my son in San Diego! Small world and I could have looked up Beatrice while I was there! Anyhow, I am now back in the UK and wondered just how I might obtain a copy of this research as pm's appear to be disabled on this thread for some reason.

I note that Iars999 has some pdf's available but how can I get hold of them please?

Many thanks
Gizmolynx

Postby David Staup » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:14 pm

here is a link to the study through pubmed. I'd just print the tables for the doctor and give him the link .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2849981/

David
David Staup

Postby lars999 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 pm

Gismolynx,

I just checked to see if I could make my epost addresses available to registered users, but, nope, apparently not on this board.

I and other statin-victims have received each of these when we contacted San Diego Statin Effects Study. You might try direct contact via epost. They are; 1) overview article, 2) muscle damage article, and 3) cognitive effects article.

On this page (https://www.statineffects.com/info/references.htm) you can find full references to total of 15 articles published from San Diego Statin Effects Study. With Google or other search engine, you can read at least abstracts of each. Should there be adequate library that you can access near you, perhaps you can read full artice(s).

Sorry to feel need to leave hurdle up, but, epost security is critical to me.
Lars
lars999

Thanks

Postby Gizmolynx » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks Lars999 I will check this out and get a copy. I fully understand about your privacy and security.

Best wishes
Gizmolynx

Question about Dr. Golumb

Postby Nancy W » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks for the additional links!

Interesting coincidence as I have cousins visiting from San Diego and he has been on Simvastatin for some time (and not on CoQ10), and is experiencing weakness.

My question is, is it possible to get an appointment with Dr. Golumb? Has anyone done that? Any contact info for her at UCSD or in San Diego?

Nancy
Nancy W

Postby lars999 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

Good Morning Nancy!

Here is link to Dr. Golomb's personal webbsite, which gives epost address for her. *https://www.statineffects.com/bgolomb/ also gives phone and fax #s. She is also listed as "Attending Physician", further down in same webbsite.

At least one of her colleages apparently does have a private practice.

QUESSTION for anyone: How much does CoQ10 (in whatever specific formulation(s) and actual dosages) actually do for weakness vs pain vs muscle damage, when actually taking a statin drug?

Reason for this question is two-fold, at least: 1) we all know that specific formulation (dry powder, quick-sorb, ubiquinone, ubiquinol, etc.) does make a very noticable difference, and 2) one needs to have high enough dosage. For example, dry powder form of ubiquinone has no noticable effect for me, at any reasonable dosage, but, ubiquinol at 3X100 mg per day does (but 2X per day has much lesser effect).

Hate to see still another case of sub-useful preciption of a very useful suppliment.

Thanks,
Lars
lars999

Postby pmgamer18 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I am taking the following and after reading your post I am going to try 300 mgs 3x's/day doing 200mgs 3x's/day is helping but very slow. Yet I am still on pain pills 2 months now I try cutting back on them but the pain is to much.

Here is what my Heart Dr. has me on.
===========================
• Ubiquinol Capliques Featuring Kaneka's Qh (200mgs) 3x’s/day mercola.com.
• Lecithin 1200 mgs 3 caps 2x’s/day.
• Acetyl-L Carnitine 500 mg 2x’s/day.
• Alpha Lipoic Acid 250 mg 2x’s/day.(I have not started on this yet it's coming in the mail.
• Krill Oil capliques 1,000 mgs. 2 with food morning mercola.com.
I was using Dr.'s Best Ubiquinol but Dr. Mercola's works better.
Phil
pmgamer18

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs