Statins Can Cause Cavities

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins Can Cause Cavities

Postby Getting Healthy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:21 am

I have had metabolic syndrome [low HDL, slightly higher than normal LDL and elevated triglycerides] for over 20 years. Through exercise and nutrtional supplements I have managed this condition successfully. In late 2007 my cardiologist, after several years of trying, convinced me to try a statin drug, simivistatin. The initial 10 mg. daily dosage was increased to 20 mg. on my next visit in the summer of 2008. In spring 2009 my dental hygienist discovered [b]14 cavities[/b] during a routine cleaning. :evil: In previous cleanings over the years I had at most 2 cavities and sometimes none. My dentist told me that [quote]dry mouth[/quote] could have caused this and suggested I check my medications. Since simivastatin was the only medication I took I checked the side effects and discovered that dry mouth can be one of them. I immediately stopped the drug. At the last two cleanings I have had no cavities. :) Now I am back to no ongoing medications where I intend to stay the rest of my life.
Getting Healthy

Postby Cat Mom2 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Also you may want to know this.. prestatin, when I had my colonscopies they never found anything. Five years into statins on the next one, they found 5 precancerous polyps. Got off of them and 3 years later on the next one they only found one small benign polyp. I advise you to stay curerent on the colonscopies if you are of the age to have them.
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs