New statin user: YUK update

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

New statin user: YUK update

Postby pops » Sat May 01, 2010 1:25 pm

It's been 18 days since I stopped taking lovastatin because of severe muscle pain in my back and legs and knees. I'd taken it for a month and 3 days at a rate of 10 mg, the lowest dose.

The pain is less: about a 3 on a scale of 1-10. It had gone higher than 9 when I quit. I could barely walk. I could no longer swim or hike. My memory was failing. I was a walking disaster area.

My resting heart rate went up to 60, which makes me suspect the lovastatin affected my heart muscle, since my resting heart rate has been 50 for years. I'm athletic.

I don't believe I have rhabdomyolysis because my urine is clear and the muscles in my upper body have not been affected. However, I am having my CKP tested.

My cholesterol numbers before being prescribed lovastatin were:
LDL 120
HDL 49
triglycerides 53
total cholesterol 180

I exercise 7 days a week. I eat low fat, lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meat, chicken and fish, and whole grains and nuts. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't take illegal drugs.

I should not have been put on a statin.
By the standards of 5 years ago I wouldn't have been. They used to say statins were for people with an LDL above 130.

But the FDA and pharmaceutical companies have determined it's best to keep LDL below 100. In fact they want it as low as 70.

From everything I've read and experienced, those levels are dangerous.

I would not want to be the one to proclaim that the FDA and big Pharmaceutical companies could be in bed together, and are perpetrating a hoax on the world to make hundreds of billions a year in profits, in spite of the damage these drugs do to large numbers of people.

But I do suggest that everyone do their homework and investigate these drugs before filling a prescription for it.

One statin manufacturer has petitioned the FDA to have doctors prescribe their drug for healthy people with no risk of heart disease, as a preventative medicine.

I remember a quote from the Bible: Money is the root of much evil.

Be advised. Do your homework. In my humble opine, exercise and diet are the best options for preventing heart disease.

For those who have had a heart attack and/or are healthy but refuse to stop eating fast food 3 times a day, and exercise regularly, go ahead, take statins if you like. But I wouldn't. I'd give up the fast food, get on the exercise plan, and tell my doctor to ... have a nice day.

pOps
pops

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:58 am

I hope you made your doctor aware of all the problems you have had on them, as long as no one complains, they think this stuff is still great. I hope I opened the door with my doctor for the next person who comes in with complaints, that he may listen...but I doubt it. They are so SOLD on this stuff..

I was in to see him last month for allergies and he walked in saying "It's been a long time since you have been here! How are you doing?!" I told him "better than ever, can't remember when I have felt so good!".. LOL! He said "THAT'S because you are so healthy now, we need to do blood work!".. Told him "Nope, that is not due for another month"... I only allow that once a year now just to gauge how I feel at what cholesterol level.

In the 220 range, I end up at the doctors because I feel really bad, no energy, no motivation, just totally blah.. In the 250 range, I am at my best, full of energy, restless, wanting to do things. What a joke all that cholesterol stuff is!

What was your doctor even thinking putting you on a statin with a total cholesterol of 180? That is overkill!
Cat Mom2

why doctor put me on statins reply

Postby pops » Sun May 16, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks for your input. I agree, stay off the statins.

My doctor did follow current medical guidelines. Even though my total cholesterol was only 180, my LDL was 120 and my father died of a heart attack at age 52. I went to Webmd and Mayo Clinic and both would have me prescribed a statin because a parent died young of heart disease and my LDL was over 100.

I think they need to change the guidelines.

Additionally, I've read studies where athletes have a 70% rate of myalgia on statins. If the medical professionals were to incorporate that data, I never would have been prescribed a statin because I was an athlete. Now that I'm damaged goods, I can't be one anymore. At least until I heal. That hasn't happened yet.

Thanks again for responding. I wish there were some way to get the medical community to pay attention to this stuff. I feel they're harming a lot of people out there. I hate to think of all the pain they're causing in the interest of protecting people against heart disease.

Have a great day!

pOps
pops

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs