Foot problems

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Foot problems

Postby valgators » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi all,

Could some of you speak to foot problems......specifically, what can be done to ease pain and help with muscle/tendon/ligament problems.
History: shortly after starting statins in the early 90's, I started having foot problems (soreness and swelling around ankle). Statins stopped 2/2008. Foot problems have progressed and it's hard to walk sometime. I have been to 7 podiatrists, 3 orthopedic docs and others. My nerve conduction test was normal at Mayo in 2008; vascular evaluation normal as well as normal alignment, normal bone density and no arthritis.
Strength, flexibility and reflexes are normal. It's the pain in the soft tissues that is stopping me!

In my mind, I know it's statin damage. Besides the supplement regimen, any specific suggestions. (Exercise makes it worse). I also have been given 4 custom orthotics, braces, etc. Nothing is effective.

Thanks for any responses.
Valgators
valgators

Postby David Staup » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:14 am

Valgators,

see below:

Tendon impairment has been reported anecdotally but has not been included in large-scale studies. A new study published in the March issue of Arthritis Care & Research found that, although rare, tendon complications are linked to the use of statins.

"http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080228080539.htm

excerpt:

"Led by Catherine Noblet, of Rouen University Hospital in Rouen Cedex, France, researchers identified 96 cases of tendon complications from the French Pharmacovigilance database between 1990 and 2005 that were attributed to statins. Tendon conditions included tendonitis and tendon rupture. Patient data retrieved from computer database were as follows: medical history, other medications they were taking (especially those known to increase statin concentrations), information about the onset, pattern and severity of their condition, and the dosage and type of statin they took.
The results showed that of the 4,597 side effects associated with statins, about two percent were attributed to tendon complications. Symptoms usually occurred within 8 months of beginning statin therapy. Most patients had tendonitis, but some also suffered ruptured tendons. The most common tendon affected was the Achilles tendon, with pain, swelling, warmth, and stiffness as the most common symptoms"

I too suffer from what I believe to be tendon problems. mine can be felt around any joint that I have over used and the pain only goes away 4-5 days after limiting activity in that area... be aware that it could also be gout related pain in the joint itself hard to say but this could be checked by having fluid from the painful joint checked for uric acid...not all gout exhibits high levels of uric acid in the blood which is the normal test...

see this excerpt from a doctor on another forum:

If you exert yourself beyond the ~20 minutes of ATP stored in the cell, the mitochondrial damage will prevent the oxygen exchange that would normally replenish the muscle cell with energy. The next step is cellular damage, and even cellular death - apoptosis. The body's reaction to apoptosis is to produce a great deal of uric acid, which halts the cell death, but then the crystals form and gout develops. Gout, or inflammation in the joints, is a form of arthritis, which is what rheumatologists address

I suppliment with ATP and it seems to help by limiting the damage done by exertion and if I stay below a certain limit of activity the joint/tendon pain goes away.

David
David Staup

Postby valgators » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks David,

I am seeing the rheumatologist tomorrow so this information will be very helpful. I have contended for years that the problems were related to my long term use of statins. Of course, it's always fallen on deaf ears and they wouldn't know what to do if they believed me. I understand that.

Since I have had problems since the early 90's (started with the Achilles tendon as noted in the article), I fear it has reached a life-altering level. It hurts with just normal around the house activity and nothing seems to relieve the pain.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Valgators
valgators

Postby schatzi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:47 am

Just read your comments and feel compelled to reply.

I have had leg, ankle pain for a very long time. It finally was diagnosed as Chronic Posterior Tibial Tendinitis. Very painful, sometimes excruciating, especially at night, other times I can walk reasonably well, although never without pain.

Have been to many Dr.'s, no one seemed to know what the cause is. Have several orthotics and a Cam-Walker which don't really help. According to a Orthopedic Surgeon tendon repair would involve removing the tibial tendon and moving and attaching the tendon from the minor toes in it's place.

Total convalescence about 6 to 8 month, most of it on crutches, no guarantee for full recovery.

I must say I am not really up to that.

I had been wondering if there was a relationship to years of Statin treatments, however I never really related it.

Any suggestions on supplements. Among other things I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin.
schatzi

Postby lars999 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:27 am

schatzi,

When I was first searching Internet for informations about what was plaging me, I found a useful comment on Mayo website -- "Statin-induced muscle and joint and ligament pains respond poorly or not at all to NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs)" or something to that effect. That proved true for me. The intense aches and pains I was suffering, and which lead to me quiting Lipitor, were immune to NSAIDs and heat and massage had only small effects.

I had a number of joint and ligament pains and damage while on Lipitor and which generally went away shortly after I quit Lipitor, except for one bicept tendon rupture. Easily the next worst was tarsal tunnel syndrom, caused by high arch on right foot collapsing. I fixed this myself, after some really disgusting encounters with foot doctors. Fix cost only $85 and is a high arch support made by Birkinstock. No more foot doctors for me!!

Almost as bad was loss of nearly ALL thick, protective skin on bottoms of my feet. Result was very tender feet that brused and blistered easily and made it painful to walk. This too ceased quickly after quiting Lipitor and now thicker skin is growing back again. No more foot pains!!

Along with tarsal tunnel syndrom was incessantly aching ankles. Also nearly totally gone now. Ditto for nasty ache in right hip.

I tried glukosomine along ago, before Lipitor and found it pretty useless for me. I too have had my encounters with orthopedic surgeons and decided not to let them operate. No regrets!!

My suppliment regime has grown to the following, and may grow even more. The amounts of some of these have been doubled in recent weeks, as I am able to do heavier and heavier and more aerobic workouts.
Omega-3 rich fish oil (2400 mg 3X day)
CoQ10 as ubiquinol (100 mg 3X day)
Vitamins C 1000 mg 3X day), D3 (2000 IUs 2-3X day), B6 and 12, follic acid (latter three 1X day)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (see below)

CoQ10 and Acetyl-L-Carnitine are directly for improvement of performance of my mitochondria, via reversal of statin-damage and my bodie's reduced production of these essential biochemicals. The others are directed primarily at health of my blood vessels.

The latter suppliment, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, was started rather recently and correlates with major reductions in residual pain and weakness in muscles and ligaments, although not yet 100%. Now that I am able to once again do "normal" workouts, I take 1000 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine before each workout, and another 1000-1500 mg between meals.

Now that I am able again to do "normal" workouts, I do get sore muscles and these sore muscles respond to ibuprofin, Aspercreme, etc., just like they used to!!

All of this has taken 5 months of intensive care and slowly increasing levels of physical activity. Only in recent weeks have I experienced major advances in performance. I expect to continue, with likely modifications, for remainder of my life (I am now 70). The only quick fix is quiting the statin, and that is only partial fix.

Best Wishes!!
Lars
lars999

Postby schatzi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Lars;

Thank you for the information. It all sounds so familiar, can't hardly walk or exercise. Have so many health issues, most likely all from years of Statins. Have not taken Statins since beginning of 2008. Some problems have improved, others are still hard to deal with. A Fib, now have a pacemaker. The joint and muscle pain, acid reflux, venous insufficiency, hypoglycemia etc.

I am taking all of the supplements you are suggesting, except L- Carnitine and Co Q10.

Will add the L- Carnitine, however the CoQ10 has really got me in trouble with hypoglycemia, it lowers the glucose levels too much too quickly.

Thanks,
Schatzi
schatzi

Postby vicki » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Everything sounds so familiar to me also. When I go back a review all my medial records and lab tests, everything is so clear to me that everything started when I started taking Mevcore. Why couldn't a doctor that I paid, have looked at my medical records? I had NOTHING medically wrong with me (except a little asthma, allergies) before Statins, went to the same doctor for yrs., and then every week, sometimes 5 times a week I was in his office, I couldn't breath,terrible back and neck pain, heart tests, stabbing pains, leg cramps, stomach problems, SEVERE pain, weekness, muscle spasms, my wrist locked up, 8 different kinds of braces, crutches. I CAN NOT BELIEVE A DOCTOR WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT CAUSED ALL MY PROBLEMS.

I have tried lots coq-10, vitamins. Hopefully someone here will help us.

I have been off statins for over 8+ yrs now and a LITTLE better at times, then get worse or more and more medial problems happen to me. I was on statins a total of 7 yrs. NOT high doses, 10 to 20 mg. I believe it can happen to anyone and CPK test did not show high on me. Why won't any doctors listen to any of us?

iF statins cause monocondial dysfuntion of our cells, I thnk they can cause cancer cells to be damaged. I have 13.14q del. of my chromosone which caused my Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, cancer. CLL is a blood cancer and WHILE ON STATINS my wbc and lymphcytes started going up, this started way back in 2002. Through the years wbc and lymphs kept going up slowly. Finally (this is another thing) one of my two doctors noticed on March 3, 2010 that my wbc and lymphs were high and maybe they should check this farther. I had CLL for just about 3 yrs. before one of my doctors noticed. In my opionion my CLL came from taking statin drugs. I had and have such major problems from the statins, I know it is just one more sickness to add to my ever ending list of medical problems I have developed from the statin drugs. Everyone for your own health when you go to a doctor get a copy of your lab work and doctor visits. Learn like I have to read your own lab tests, it may save your own life someday. Doctors have too many patients and don't pay attention all the time, it's your body and your life, you know when something isn't right better then your own doctor.

I needed to vent................. I feel a little better. Everyone take care and hopefully they find help for all of us.

Vicki
vicki

Postby lars999 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm

vicki,

You make a point that I very much agree with and practice.
"Everyone for your own health when you go to a doctor get a copy of your lab work and doctor visits. Learn like I have to read your own lab tests, it may save your own life someday. "

I now go even one big step further -- suspect you do too. I go to Internet and do searches on various things, especially the things doctors want me to take or undergo. THEN I decide if I really want to swallow THAT.

Among my heros are those people that are perscribed Lipitor, etc. and then go home and Google "Lipitor" and decide NOT to fill the prescrilption. Yes, there are such people!!!

Recently I have become an even "worse" patient. I do ALL the homework I can on Internet BEFORE going to a doctor or for a test. Generally, I weave those findings into what I tell doctors about my symptoms. I treat them much like the many contractors that once worked for me -- like paid help providing a service. My interaction model is a "Peer to Peer Consultation", not the usual patient-DOCTOR relationship.

Any doctor uttering the word "cholesterol" gets a cold stare and the temperature drops even more if words like "cholesterol medication" are uttered. I even tell doctors saying such things as "Statins don't do that." that they are "Out of touch with latest findings." Even underline that with references to published medical literature. Doctor visits CAN be fun!!

Lars
lars999

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs